Rate ny Elk Bugles

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Rate My Elk Bugles

Hey guys continuing to work on my Elk Calling, hard to tell if the sound is starting to come along.

Let me know what you think.

Rocky Mountain Bully Bull Elk Tube
Rocky Mountain The Remedy Reed

Rate my ELK Bugles - YouTube

Last edited:

IdahoElk

WKR
Very Good!
This is just my opinion,I think the beginning is great but the scream at the end is slightly too long,maybe fine for a locate bugle when they are at a distance,close up I would shorten that part in half.When you are into a bull with a hot cow, just use a short scream.
For a locate bugle I'd drop the chuckles,in fact I hardly chuckle at all,I always try to sound just a bit smaller than the bull I'm after,that's just me.
Either way you will have no trouble getting an Elk to respond.

Last edited:
sounds good. 1 thing I've told many who are learning to bugle, even the elk screw it up a lot!!! I've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours watching and listening to elk, some of the messed up sounds they make are unreal. I've also stormed through the woods to tell some guy he really sucks at calling only to walk up on a bull making those awful sounds. A lot of times if around call shy elk I'll just use a chuckle and thats all. Keep up the good work

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bugle is good just want to try and get to last octave. Remember on bugles it is typically best to keep shorter than too long. On the grunt need more depth try using more of your diaphragm to get the deep volume and cadence👍 You have a good start and 7 months👊

ElkNut1

WKR
Your bugles will certainly work, no doubt there! When doing any type of calling on Youtube, Sound Cloud, etc. you will find some sound quality can be lost. In many cases you do sound much better than recorded! With that said it still gives a trained ear something to go by in critiquing your sounds.

Bulls will make a handful of bugles, each sends out a different message to other elk, what changes their meaning is the added Intensity or Emotion to their bugle. A Location Bugle is longer than most bugles, it's more drawn out in the 2-3 second length & is non-intimidating. A Challenge Bugle is shorter with much more emotion or coarseness/growl injected into its bugle & is a warning or scolding. A Lip Bawl Bugle has an added dimension of a guttural buzz to its bugle which is used to warn & call cows at the same time. These three are all different in sound & meaning. Once you understand the difference & what you're saying it's much easier to imitate them to know the sound you're working on instead of just thinking I want to be able to bugle! -- It's like learning another language & as you learn specific words or phrases you realize some words require more emphasis or emotion than others to get your point across!

So anytime we hunters are working/polishing up our Cow or Bull sounds we need to take into consideration the meaning of that sound, it will help us out immensely to sound as believable as possible & apply the needed cadence or emotion. This can give you confidence not to shy away from using elk sounds in hunting situations when needed most!

One thing that may help you speed up the learning curve to imitate any Elk Sounds you have a desire to learn & their meanings is to consider the ElkNut APP, these sounds are on it where you can listen to them along with short video clips per sound explaining how to imitate each specific sound. There's also a New Format being added to the APP in the next few weeks where we hunters can call right into the APP, it will record your sound of a cow or bull & then you can listen to myself or a real elk making this same sound so you can compare your sound right there on the spot & see where you may need work. This will work on any sound on the APP you desire to imitate! This can speed up the journey in your quest to becoming a good caller of elk, educate yourself not the elk!

Here's a link to the APP if you'd like to check it out! ElkNut-App

ElkNut/Paul

OP
T

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, shorting up the sequence is great advice, towards the end of the bugle I feel like I'm going to pass out and it allows me to be able to add a little more bit pressure at the end to get that last note out.

Download Paul's App. It will no doubt make you a better caller and improve your odds of killing an elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
Location & Advertising Bugles are two of the most common bugles that hunters use today in finding elk! Compare your bugles to these real bulls! Challenge bugles would show more intensity or emotion!

This link will highlight Location/Advertising Bugles, notice the varying lengths, much is dependant on the bulls attitude at the time of its use.
Location or Advertising Bugle

ElkNut/Paul