OTC Pressure

gabenzeke

WKR
What do folks use to determine the amount of hunters using a given OTC unit in Colorado? Is this information reliably tracked anywhere? If less people is a priority in choosing between units (I know...its all high pressure in CO) where would I find that kind of info?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Here: http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Elk/2016StatewideElkHarvest.pdf
Taken from here: Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
Elk Hunting Statistics
QUOTE]

I am assuming you are asking from out of state. This is probably the best official info you can get. Don't forget the forum you are on though, most of the folks who post where they are from don't mind helping out by answering a few questions. If you see someone from the area your thinking of, shoot them a PM!

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Well, I've tried Southern CO twice now and haven't filled my tag yet. Looking for any legal elk, but was considering a change of scenery. Tossed around the idea of Idaho but when I've looked at maps, there are WAY more trails and roads in most places there. So now, I'm considering looking at other areas in CO. initially, 521, 52, 421, and 43 look intriguing. I've also considered going earlier, but last year I went the last 2 weeks of September and only heard bugles one night during a hail storm. So maybe earlier isn't a good idea? I'm just torn on whether muzzy season educates too many animals and decreases my chances at encounters. I have to admit some stupidity on my part, the first year I went I hiked about 3 miles into the Weminuche and woke up the first morning to bugles. Got within shooting distance of about 15 cows and had three bulls bugling around me. Should have shot a cow since it would have been my first elk, but I got cocky and got busted by a bull. They gave me the slip the rest of the trip. I know people will say I should go where I've been close before, but I tried that same spot last year and saw so much bear and lion sign with no sign of elk. Locals said the predator population had gone up, so I'm kind of over that spot. Like I said, I'll shoot whatever is legal, just want to get into an area with my bow where I'm not running into others all day every day, and still have a reasonable chance. Any thoughts on the units I mentioned? Is Idaho a better bet for a new spot?

I only know SW Colorado, it seems to get crowded here but I’ve never actually ran into anyone in the woods. Just at trail heads and on trails. I like the Wenimuche area, I’ve just never hunted it.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Just want to bump this to see if anyone over the weekend has thoughts...

530Chukar

WKR
The units that you mentioned that do not have Wilderness will be crowded with ATVs on the roads. Look in the spots in those units that have very few roads/ trails and you won’t see anyone. Designated roadless areas can be a god start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I'm not sure a move is going to get you a different experience. The only way to avoid other hunters (mostly) is to get a limited entry tag or private land access.

OTC public will always have other hunters present and some years you will see them, others you won't. Guys just like yourself hit the west for the first time and end up in your honey hole. Hunting elk is half knowing the elk in your area, and half figuring out the hunter patterns.

You have 2 years of knowledge in a spot at this point. There are elk there. I'd stick with it and hit a new drainage to expand your knowledge of the area.

Just my thoughts. Worth whatever you think they are.

Jeremy

sneaky

"DADDY"
There may be more roads and trails in the Idaho units you've looked at, but there's also statistically way fewer people in the woods in Idaho compared to Colorado. Especially away from Boise or Idaho Falls. Last two weeks of the season last year in Idaho I didn't see another hunter in the woods other than my hunting partner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Make sure you are putting in for preference points so every few years you can hunt a draw unit.

We hunt OTC/2nd choice draw units between leadville and gunnison. While we certainly aren't culling the population much we are into elk a lot.

Did see a bunch of hunters this year, all good guys, more than normal, but all on trails or at trailheads. Even several miles back into wilderness, so i doubt you get completely away from folks entirely, but odds are better

KMT

WKR
A lot of people hunt Colorado. No matter where you are, you are likely to have some hunting pressure on public land. You will run into guys just like you who parked close to where you did, guys that parked somewhere else and walked in from the opposite direction, or guys hunting with an outfitter.

According to the CPW stats, I hunt in one of the most heavily pressured archery OTC units in Colorado. My first year I was worried I would be bumping into hunters left and right. I never saw another human being or sign of one in the woods. Second year I ran into one guy about 3/4 mile off trail. We chatted for a few and went our separate ways. I see camp sites and people at trailheads, but have never had an issue with pressure in the woods. For reference, I have not been packing in. All hunts have been day hunts 1-3 miles in. So its not like I'm getting deep in the woods. But I do pick the nastiest canyons that I can find. I know that keeps pressure down.

I, too, have two years experience in OTC archery colorado with nothing but tag soup to eat. But its not been for lack of elk or too much pressure. Mostly my own stupid mistakes mixed with a touch of bad luck. I will continue to hunt the same area. I say stick with what you know. It really helps to be familiar with an area.

xziang

WKR
I've eaten tag soup for 4 years now. Hunted same area for the past 2 years now. IF you are thinking of switching areas, another tool I have used is google earth and finding a time period that coincides with the hunting season. Once you find an image of say 9/28 start looking at the trailheads in that area and see if you can pick out trucks/horse trailers etc. GRANTED this isn't going to be 100% accurate for things change each year in regards to pressure.

Last year the spot I've been hunting had a ton of people on it which blew my mind. I had to go to another plan and hunted a different part of the area 3 miles away with no luck but wanted to get to a meadow I've seen on the maps.