what to do

WYO 307

FNG
I am shooting a 2010 carbon matrix. I am looking at a new bow or a tips and a stove. About the same price, could be rifle hunting as well as archery in Wyoming.......HELP

Jd259

WKR
How many guys will you be hunting with? This year in Colorado there were two of us in a cimmeron with a ti goat stove and a 10 days worth of gear packed in and it was just right any more people with the stove I would definitely go bigger just depends on the amount of people...

Jd259

WKR
As for the screens I don’t think there necessary just added weight I’d your packing in.

under h2o hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I own a sawtooth and I have both the screen door and the liner... When hunting season came I left the screen door at home... Yes its a nice feature but honestly you're out hunting most of the day and when you get back you're pretty much to tired to care about the bugs... You'll zip up the door anyways. Now as far as scouting and summer trips. Yes the screen doors are a must if you are back at camp taking a nap or something during the day.. So get them.

RdRdrFan

WKR
Tipi and stove. The 2010 Carbon Matrix is a great bow. I've got one that I've kept as a backup bow simply because it is one of the best shooting bows I've ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WYO 307

WYO 307

FNG
There could be 2 to 4 guys. The weight penalty going from 6 to 8 is not huge. If I upgrade to the carbon pole that about covers the weight difference. Worried about the foot print. I have never set up a tent this big.

I'd go 8 man. (never heard of anyone really saying; man I wish I got the smaller one:). 2 guys/gear/2 cots and a large wood stove was perfect in the 8 man SO tipi. Now if you aren't using cots...2 people in the 8 man is large; but like you said; the weight penalty isn't anything to be concerned about.

We have the screens in ours. as under h2o hunter pointed out - we didn't need them or use them in our hunting season. But I use the tipi for summer camping and that's when they really come in handy.

As a base camp - no problems. I can't speak to it as a 5 mile pack-in setup so hopefully someone else can answer your question on that. If I am packing in; it's usually for archery season and I'm usually solo so I don't need the stove and definitely don't need the space so I run a Mountainsmith Mtn Shelter LT. I think what would really help your decision is seeing them in person. I'm sure someone around Cody has 1 that they wouldn't mind letting you see all set up. If you are truly worried about the 8 man - go 6 and just pitch a tarp to store the extra gear.

I will say; if you plan on using it at like National Parks or State parks with the family - that you will need the 'Large' campsite. We went to yellowstone last July (didn't take the tipi), but it wouldn't have fit in the 'small' campsite that we stayed at.

OP
WYO 307

WYO 307

FNG
Thanks for the input. I have a copper spur for a tent already and a toy hauler I can use as well. Decided to put the tipi on hold and get me some 15 x 56 binos or a spotter to go along with my swaro 10x42 binos and vortex razor 11-33x50 spotter.

As far as glass, I would think that a 15x bino would really duplicate what you can do with the small razor spotter. I'd recommend a 65 or 80mm spotter for rifle hunts where glassing up to 5 miles is beneficial. In archery season, you could run the 10x binos and 50mm spotter.

I really like my 65mm viper spotter. It's all I need and I like to glass far.