Wyoming Units 37/41 or 67/68/69 type 9 tag

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Looking for any input on these units for a type 9 archery tag. I only have one point but I want to put in for a unit with some chance of drawing. 13% and 25% odds of actually drawing a tag. If I don't draw, I'll bank another point and try my luck in Montana before ending up in a Colorado OTC unit. I'm looking at Wyoming 37 or 41 in the bighorns and 67/68/69 which are grouped together. There seems to be some wilderness area in these units that I wouldn't be able to hunt. Any input on which ones I should try to draw?

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Sure if it gets me near elk I can tolerate some grizz. Be a little creepy bivouac hunting knowing they are in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
My .02 is to go with the bighorn units. The difficulty with 67/68/69 is that a lot of non-wilderness doesn't hold elk until later in the year when they head down from the wilderness.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Wilderness areas in part of both units in the bighorns as well though.

Based on the odds you cite, are you planning on applying for the special draw? Regular draw odds appear more like 8-9% for 37 and 41 with only one PP.

LaHunter

WKR
I would agree with wyosteve. There are grizzlies in the bighorns as well but just not in the numbers that are elsewhere in the state.

Hang on there...I've been hunting the Bighorns for the past 5 years and didn't think there were supposed to be grizzlies there. Now you've got me a bit concerned.

Hang on there...I've been hunting the Bighorns for the past 5 years and didn't think there were supposed to be grizzlies there. Now you've got me a bit concerned.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I always camp around tie hack and hat portion of the big horns as well as up by the junction. Last year I saw the pictures from some grizzlies (sow and cub) that was taken up there. This is coming second hand but apparently the game and fish acknowledged that they were there.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Looks like options are pretty limited for now hunting with only 1 point. I don’t expect to draw a tag but may as well swing for the fences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
Sorry to burst your bubble. I always camp around tie hack and hat portion of the big horns as well as up by the junction. Last year I saw the pictures from some grizzlies (sow and cub) that was taken up there. This is coming second hand but apparently the game and fish acknowledged that they were there.

So griz are crossing the basin? Guess i should carry some slugs chasin birds then...

So griz are crossing the basin? Guess i should carry some slugs chasin birds then...

I won’t say it’s a fact but I will say the picture and the account was very believable. If you go up there and get a chance to talk with the lodge I am told they will confirm. I just want to be clear that I do not have my own proof. Just want to pass a long that I now pack bear spray and my weapon and practice a grizzly proof camp.

I won’t say it’s a fact but I will say the picture and the account was very believable. If you go up there and get a chance to talk with the lodge I am told they will confirm. I just want to be clear that I do not have my own proof. Just want to pass a long that I now pack bear spray and my weapon and practice a grizzly proof camp.

I would definitely believe it if they said they spotted young boars. These are the kind of bears that typically wonder out of the normal grizzly range. A sow, and especially one with cubs, typically don't wonder too far out the normal range, but it can happen I hear.
Grizzly in the Bighorns is probably just a matter of time.
Agree totally with taking precautions...

4rcgoat

WKR

Been hunting the Horns for 10 plus years, never seen a shred of Grizzly sign. However, some locals swear they are here, supposedly game and fish removed one a couple years back, never saw any proof......but you never know.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR

Can you tell me if it would be worth trying to hunt 41 in the non wilderness areas? Looks like the only part of that unit worth hunting is the western portion along the wilderness area border. I probably won’t draw the tag but if I happen too, I don’t want to regret it.

There are NO grizzly bears in the Bighorns. The story of the sow and cub grizzly was proved wrong by Game & Fish wardens. People see black bears every year in the Bighorns and think they are grizzlies, they are always shown to be black bears.

Game and Fish did not acknowledge that grizzly bears are in the Bighorns. That is just pure bullcrap!!

And, no matter what your cousins brother-in-laws uncle says, Game and Fish IS NOT transplanting grizzly bears to the Bighorns. Grizzly bears have to be transplanted to occupied grizzly bear habitat - the Bighorns are not occupied grizzly bear habitat.

ClearCreek

LA Hunter

FNG
Can anyone comment on their experience hunting in the Medicine Lodge WSA?

It says no vehicle traffic, but my maps are showing that roads run through it in several areas from SW to NE.