New Mexico Landowner Tags

I'm looking at this as a legitimate option this year and was wondering who has gone this route and where a good place to look would be. I've done some research and seen prices. Looking for a DIY public land bull tag. I am not wealthy by any means, but would be willing to pay if the price is right. This is all contingent on whether I don't get drawn in AZ. Pm if you have some info to share. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sasquatch

WKR

tom338

FNG
There are both unit wide and ranch only landowner tags. Be sure you know what you are getting. With a unit wide landowner tag anyone else can hunt that ranch or property. With a ranch only tag only you or some one else with a tag for that ranch can hunt it, and you cannot hunt anything else but that ranch, no public land hunting. That is why its called a ranch only tag
f

RdRdrFan

WKR
The New Mexico landowner tags are only for hunting on the ranch. You can't use them on public land. ]

Incorrect

There are both unit wide and ranch only landowner tags. Be sure you know what you are getting. With a unit wide landowner tag anyone else can hunt that ranch or property. With a ranch only tag only you or some one else with a tag for that ranch can hunt it, and you cannot hunt anything else but that ranch, no public land hunting. That is why its called a ranch only tag
f

Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sturgeon

WKR
There are two types of authorization certificates. These are ranch-only and unit-wide.

A unit-wide authorization certificate allows a hunter to buy a unit-wide private land elk license. Unit-wide hunters are allowed to hunt legally accessible public lands and unit-wide private lands within the boundaries of the Game Management Unit (GMU).

Unit-wide private lands are open to properly licensed elk hunters during each public elk hunt for the sole purpose of hunting elk. Hunters are allowed free, unrestricted, and equal access to unit-wide ranches. Unit-wide ranches are not open for camping. Scouting may occur during legal shooting hours during the two days immediately preceding the start of the hunt.
A ranch-only authorization certificate allows a hunter to buy a ranch-only private land elk license. Ranch-only hunters are restricted to the private land within the boundaries of the ranch. No public lands may be hunted using a ranch-only private land elk license. In GMUs 4, 5A, 46, 55A, and 55B ranch-only hunters are allowed to hunt on other private lands within the GMU with written permission from the landowner.

Wapiti1

WKR
I've had both over the years. I got them through booking agents that had extra tags they didn't have hunters lined up for. Huntinfool, Gohunt, Hunters Trailhead offer them as well. Some landowners sell them directly, others sell them to an outfitter/agent and let them handle it.

As noted above, unit wide, and private land only are the possibilities. Be very careful you know the size and location of the ranch with a private land only voucher. Those can be awesome, or extremely limiting. Quite a few will be best only after the elk migrate to winter range. Unit wide will carry a premium on the price, typically.

Expect to spend a lot in a top unit (>$4000) and availability will be very limited due to the outfitters tying up the landowner vouchers. OK units will be $1500-$3000 plus the state tag fee. The voucher is just the authorization for a license, you still have to buy the license from the state so budget for that as well.

Jeremy

rbljack

WKR
what Wapati 1 said! A bit more info to add.....The tags flip flop each each....meaning a landowner gets a cow tag one year and a bull tag the following year if I understand that part correctly. The cow tags aren't as high of course, but still 500-1000. Depends on what you want

MakitaBoy

FNG
In the past I've purchased private land tags aswell as unit wide tags it's a great option if your like me and draw ever 7-10 years if you can afford them! The last few years prices have increased big time especially for a prime unit. Last year I did exactly what surgeon suggested I went top to bottom down the list calling everyone had 1 person willing to sell me their tag but they wanted too much $! I'd rather travel and take a OCT tag somewhere else just my .02 good luck fingers crossed I draw!

This seems like a silly question, but here it goes. For the pronghorn private land only tags you need prior written permission from the property owner, correct?

KsRancher

WKR
This seems like a silly question, but here it goes. For the pronghorn private land only tags you need prior written permission from the property owner, correct?
From my understanding when I was looking into buying a NM landowner vouchers. Legally they have to let you have access to the land that the voucher came from. But from my talking to people there are some selling the voucher and saying you can't hunt the land that the voucher was from.

Edit. I believe that goes for the unit wide voucher also.

dtrkyman

WKR
If a landowner sells his vouchers as unit wide he opens his land to public access, if they sell private land tags you would have access to that land/lands.

You then give game and fish the voucher number and buy the actual tag, so basically you buy it twice, ouch.

From my understanding when I was looking into buying a NM landowner vouchers. Legally they have to let you have access to the land that the voucher came from. But from my talking to people there are some selling the voucher and saying you can't hunt the land that the voucher was from.

Edit. I believe that goes for the unit wide voucher also.
Interesting. Seems they have to tweaking to do with the new rule.