New to Archery Elk hunting, partner needed

Wapiti87

FNG
Hi all, My name is Richie and i am a 30 year old colorado resident. I am looking for an archery elk hunting partner for the upcoming elk season. I've been looking into colorado gmu 14 north of steamboat because it's OTC and I am trying to build preference points. I have been scouting the land through Google earth and onx maps and have been digging for any information available. I would really like to backpack in 4 to 6 miles to set up a camp and hunt from there getting a couple miles from roads and trails. I have been running and using the stairmaster to get myself in prime shape. I have been shooting a bow for a while now and have been doing 3D shoots to better prep myself. I also plan on doing a couple scouting trips this summer before season. I'm really trying to be much better prepared than the average first timer. I'm hoping to find someone to hunt with as I am going to be solo as of now. If anyone has any friendly advice or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All!

cnelk

WKR
From what I know of gmu 14, you won’t have any trouble finding people to hunt with, as it’s a pretty popular area.
And just because you ‘go deep’ you may still have plenty of company.

Use your scouting trips well.
Look for evidence of camps, along with elk sign.

Good luck

Find the elk migration routes on onX in your unit. Follow them high as possible during your scouting trips in the summer. Look for the calving grounds and the areas with the largest groups of cows, usually around treeline. Spend time with those elk and really study their movements, behaviors, etc, write down notes. The more time you get with elk in the field the better. Those backpacking trips will get you ready to pack meat. Understanding the animal I was hunting did more for me than all the reading and tips combined. It takes some guys years to spend as much time with elk as I did the from backpacking trips. I got my first elk this last season solo, started hunting '16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pm sent. I’ve been considering 14 as well. If nothing else I would be willing to do a short scouting trip this summer.

TWP

FNG
Topo trecker is spot on!!!! Just like anything else in life, put in the work and get the rewards. Great post!!!!

xziang

WKR
Just like what you are planning summer backpacking trips will help out a lot. Pending on the terrain and what you can view spend some time behind a spotting scope looking above timber line. I was able to do this from the county road when I did a scouting trip a couple years ago. I've been able to see/find elk MILES away before and for me that's all I was looking for or wanted. Granted they might not be there come hunting season or have moved but nice to know they are or were in that area.

Since you are in CO pending where you live don't be afraid to scope out a closer OTC unit to where you live. Get off trail to look for sign and use it also as a training exercise. Never hurts to have a unit close to home in your back pocket to hit for a day hunt.

Good luck you have an advantage to a lot of us due to your current location. :)

OP
Wapiti87

Wapiti87

FNG
Thanks everyone for the advice! I really appreciate it!! Can't wait to get out there!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of good info here. Listen and search.

Don't get hung up on the "xxxx" miles from roads, etc. Elk are where you find them. Since '09 a buddy and I have killed 17 bulls. The biggest one and the 4th biggest one we could get the truck within 200 yards of. Elk are where you find them, right Brad? :)

Don't be afraid to go solo. It's rewarding and more than doable.

Last, yes, be prepared to be hooked for a lifetime. There's nothing like it.