First elk hunt

Mace man

FNG
My dad my brother and I are going to colorado for our first elk trip. We are in the first stage of planning still. So many things to think about. Where to hunt when to hunt where to camp or get a motel what kind of equimpent boots packs and the list and questions seem endless. So I signed up for the on x maps. Seems pretty cool gives me some ideas as to public ground I can hunt. But my think is where. What area should i look at? I'm not asking for someones honeyhole but advise on finding a spot to focus my google earth efforts. My brother has a guy he works with that bow hunts the White River NF. Sounds like 6-8 guys hunt and few bulls are packed out every year. Guy I work with went this year and hunt a friends piece of private property. He saw elk but never got a shot. He was west of Steam boat springs. We have a friend who,s cousin lives near Grand junction. He said he would meet up with us if we were to hunt out in his direction. My brother said something about the Grand Mesa NF maybe thtas where this guy goes not sure yet. I'm not the kind that wants someone to tell me to go lean up against this tree and you,ll shoot it right here thats no fun. I guess I should ask if these areas are worth looking at. I know that even the better spots will have great and not so good spots but isnt that what scouting is for. This may be my dad's only elk hunt. It's something he's always wanted to do but his work schedule just never allowed it. He urged us to go while we're still young before life's responsibilities keep us from being able to go. So we made him a deal if he goes we go. He quickly said okay. We just want to show Dad the best time we can when he's out there. open to all advise and thanks.

TWP

FNG
Welcome to elk hunting, there is no such thing as stand here and you’ll shoot one. Unless it is in an alfalfa field. What season are you guys going? What kind of terrain do you want/need to hunt? What experience do you want to have? How much can you spend? How often do you want to do this thing called elk hunting?

If this is a one shot deal, I HIGHLY suggest going with an outfitter. Show up in shape and enjoy your trip. No headaches on the where or gear costs. If you want to become an elk hunter....well then, welcome to the dark side. Think about these questions and we’ll be able to help you out more. Get ready to have a blast!

OP
M

Mace man

FNG
We looked into the outfitter idea and that's not something we want to pay for. We will be doing the 2nd season rifle hunt this year. Dad's not worried the about size of the animal more the experience of the hunt. He wants to share an awesome experience with his two boys. I don't know what kind of terrain we'll be in Dad is ready what ever it takes. We've already decided that we will return in 2019 and that we're going to start points built up. So i'd say maybe not every year but i think almost. We're buying quality packs and boots. I'm getting an EXO 3500 that I'm exited about. We've all started working out walking bike riding lifting. We know that we need to be in good physical condition ignorer to have a good hunt. I don't want to miss out on something because we're whooped.

under h2o hunter

Lil-Rokslider
You're going to Colorado so pick any unit west of I-25 they all have elk in them... Elk will be where the people are most likely not going to be... Simple in theory yes, Fact is that elk are adaptive they will be next to a road or 10 miles in a wilderness. They need water, food, and cover. So learn what those things are first... Then look at the area you think you want to hunt for those things. Then go hunt the best of those areas... Every year guys get on forums or chat boards asking the same question as to where they should go hunt. There is no magical answer of "if you go here, you'll get this or see this" I have hunted many of units in Colorado and they all hold elk. I found the elk even when others said there were no elk to be seen. The reason I was able to find the elk was because I worked harder then they did. I did my research, I scouted the area, and when hunting season came around I hunted... Yes I said it "I HUNTED" Most people come to Colorado and they think that they are going to hunt hard all day every day. The reality is that Colorado is tuff. The elevation gets to people, People driving roads gets to people, not seeing animals gets to people. So they eventually give up or get an attitude of negativity. 2nd rifle season is going to be full of people in orange so expect to see others. But stay positive, stay active, keep hunting. I don't care if its the first day or the last day but stay consistent with how you hunt.. Here are some facts. Most people don't kill their first year or several in a new unit. So don't expect to be killing so much as learning. But do expect to learn a whole lot. Be that the unit, how people move in that unit, where the best places to be in that unit are, and so on. Most people walk to much. Be patient. Most people will start to move by a certain time in the morning if they don't see anything. They think they will see more if they walk here or there. Fact is that most successful rifle hunters are successful because they were patient and they waited for the animal to make the mistake. Hunters will bump or push animals more by walking which means if you are in a good area be patient and let other hunters push animals to you.. Use your glass and spot animals then work to them. Don't just move on blind faith. I hope some of this helps. Good luck

gabenzeke

WKR
I've only archery hunted, so take this with a grain of salt. But something I would consider in addition to the standard cover/water/feed is escape areas. If it were me, I'd try to be near escape routes given all the pressure. When I shotgun hunted deer, (I'm from iowa) places where deer run out away from pressure were the best spots to get a shot with a gun.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk