Co 371

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted 36 a few times but have tossed around and looked at 371 often. What scares me is that it seems like there’s a trail that leads into or above (almost) every drainage. And it’s a pretty narrow unit. To anyone familiar with this unit, do most hunters stick to the trails? Can I get away from others? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

under h2o hunter

Lil-Rokslider
371 is an interesting unit... Like 36 it lots of ways but at times can be a tougher hunt... Many of the trail heads will have lots of people using them during September and early October. Lots of photographers, nature hikers, tourists getting away, and yes even hunters. Most of the units along i-70 are fairly easy to get to for people along the front range. You add in nonresidents driving in and you get busy units. Cities like Vail, Breckenridge, Silverthorn, and so on add convenience to a hunt. Which means more people. Can you get away from people there absolutely you can. Are their elk there? Yes there are. Its not an easy place to hunt though. Lots of vertical terrain and lots of people. I think the terrain lends it self to using livestock to accomplish these things... If the area you are looking at looks easy like there would be people there, well there will be people there. If the area looks like something you should stay out of well then thats the area you want to hunt.... Good luck be safe.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
371 is an interesting unit... Like 36 it lots of ways but at times can be a tougher hunt... Many of the trail heads will have lots of people using them during September and early October. Lots of photographers, nature hikers, tourists getting away, and yes even hunters. Most of the units along i-70 are fairly easy to get to for people along the front range. You add in nonresidents driving in and you get busy units. Cities like Vail, Breckenridge, Silverthorn, and so on add convenience to a hunt. Which means more people. Can you get away from people there absolutely you can. Are their elk there? Yes there are. Its not an easy place to hunt though. Lots of vertical terrain and lots of people. I think the terrain lends it self to using livestock to accomplish these things... If the area you are looking at looks easy like there would be people there, well there will be people there. If the area looks like something you should stay out of well then thats the area you want to hunt.... Good luck be safe.

^^^ speaks the truth! My deer tag is good there and it’s a short drive for me as a weekend backup unit but I haven’t needed to. I spend a lot of time there in the summer and can’t imagine September early October would have much less traffic.

Terrain can be an issue to get an elk out before the heat starts to spoil it. Of course individual abilities come into play but personally I would want llamas.

OP
S

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I hunted 36 last yr for the 2nd rifle and the one area I hunted I was rather surprised that I didn’t see anyone. I thought the walking was fairly easy considering the obvious, but I did stay away from trails. Other areas were pretty slammed though. I’m bringing my son (12) this yr for his first trip and hopefully for the first rifle but I assumed it may be busier. We backpack hunt so I’m all about looking for places others don’t want to go. I’ll prob just stick to my original game plan for now and maybe while hunting, peek “over the hill” so to speak into 371 occasionally just to see what’s going on!

Thomas11

WKR
Is there anywhere really in CO that doesn’t attract hikers/ tourist etc? I’m just asking! I’d like to find this if so and it also had elk!

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Is there anywhere really in CO that doesn’t attract hikers/ tourist etc? I’m just asking! I’d like to find this if so and it also had elk!

The only real way to answer this question for certain is to visit the area you're interested in at a "busy" time of year. The OTC unit I've hunted the last 3 years has a bunch of hikers and hipsters in the summer, but I don't see those folks once the (archery) season starts.

Thomas11

WKR
Well I live in Alabama. So not the easiest to do. I usually hunt elk somewhere every yr. hunted CO a few times. But I have never seen so many ppl on ATVs, jeeps, photographers etc in all my life! lol

Etexag

FNG
Planning on 36 as my parents live near by. They live in 37 but 371 is another I have thought about. Right now I am flipping a coin between 36 and 521. 36 would be easier for me to scout. I live in Texas and will only have one or 2 weekends to scout before the hunt

Ben Nicholson

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 371 two years ago. Holy hikers it was crowded on the trails. Off them not too bad, but the serious lack of elk/sign will likely keep me from going back. Saw lots of deer though.

JKOHL37

FNG
I hunted 371 two years ago. Holy hikers it was crowded on the trails. Off them not too bad, but the serious lack of elk/sign will likely keep me from going back. Saw lots of deer though.
Hey man, I saw your number on your profile and was wondering if I could call you to talk about deer in 371 sometime. Let me know.
James

dsayer

FNG
Hey man, I saw your number on your profile and was wondering if I could call you to talk about deer in 371 sometime. Let me know.
James
James
Noticed you're bumping a bunch of older threads on 37/371. I've hunted these for deer/elk a few seasons and would be willing to give you some pointers. However I'm also new here and haven't crossed the post threshold for PMs yet.

JKOHL37

FNG
James
Noticed you're bumping a bunch of older threads on 37/371. I've hunted these for deer/elk a few seasons and would be willing to give you some pointers. However I'm also new here and haven't crossed the post threshold for PMs yet.
I appreciate it. My email is [email protected].

Will be hunting 371 first rifle season this year, been looking at maps for a while and hiking out there last weekend. I live in Denver area, so first of many scouting days hopefully, but with wife and 2 little boys (age 1 and 3), free time is not in abundance. Hiked up to lost lake, and deadfall around there makes it crazy tough to get to a good glassing spot, for glassing into Slate creek or Black Creek drainages. Thinking will need to go most or all the way back in there to find anything. Right track? No?

Last edited: