Wyoming Elk Permit with an Outfitter

cascjung

FNG
I have a question regarding permits and outfitter in WY:

I am a nonresident - Ohio. I had signed on with an outfitter in Cody and paid a deposit last year for 2018. In the summer he said to buy preference point for general tag, for around $600, for the region and I did. Now he states that I now have to purchase a special elk tag for >$1200. He states that the drawing statistics have changed for the region. He states that he will apply for the permit? Well I did not like these surprises.

Few questions:

1. This change in tag/permit requirement happens often?
2. I thought I, as a hunter, applied for the permit/tag and not the outfitter. ?
3. I thought I was in public land hunting in WY.

I've been in Montana last 5 years, with good success, but I thought I'd try WY. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Trial153

WKR
I am not sure how you think that you paid 600 for a prefrence point last summer?

But anyway he is correct. To draw a gen tag in the regular draw this year your most likly going to need two points this year. You would draw a gen tag in the special draw however youd have to foot the increase in cost.

As for the other questons. Some outfitters will run the applications for you.

the last question about public land i am not sure what your asking.

If you dont want to pay extra for the special draw ask the outfitter if you can carry over your deposit to the following year providing you dont draw in the regular draw. Youd be stuck waiting another year for the tag.

on the other hand its not the outfitters fault that WY decided to jack the prices through the roof. And you did make a commitment...so you have to decide if keeping your word is worth the extra money.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
It is evident the op knows nothing of the Wyoming app/draw process and the outfitter would prefer to handle the app himself.

I have no clue how you spent that on a preference point. Tag/permit changes due happen and that isn’t his fault. Now back to the 2nd point. I am not sure why he is applying for you unless you give him your social security number and all that jazz. That would turn my head sideways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Yea as a non resident the elk draw was closed and all he could buy were points, at $50. I wouldn't give an outfitter a deposit on a draw hunt, ever.

jmez

WKR
I think what the OP is saying is that he was to buy a preference point for a general tag that was going to cost him $600. Not that he was buying a $600 preference point. Looking like this year 1 point isn't going to draw a general tag so the outfitter wants him in the special draw and that is a $1200 tag, not the $600 he was planning on.

To the OP, WY increased their fees, not anything anyone can do about that, it happens. The outfitter probably should have explained the regular draw/special draw to you and at least informed you that you may need to go special to get a tag.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
You needed 2 points for 100% draw of a general elk tag last year. Also every one knows of the points creep going on in Wyoming.

The outfitter would have known when accepting the deposit for a 2018 hunt in 2017, or late 2016 that the hunter could only purchase 1 point and would very likely need to be in the Special draw to have a better than random chance at drawing a tag in 2018.

The outfitter should have informed the guy he would be needing to apply for a Special draw. But maybe he did and the OP just assumed the price would be for the full price general tag?

And yes, Wyoming jacked the prices this year.

Wapiti1

WKR
It isn't unusual for an outfitter to want to act as your application agent for the draw. They want the application perfect so you draw. This is probably more common in NM where there is a pool for guided hunters. They want your business and don't want an unplanned for opening the year that you booked. If you really think your social security number is secret, you are not being realistic. I know mine is out in the wild, and have had to take steps to prevent issues. PITA, but these are the times we live.

As to the rest, since I wasn't there when the OP talked with the outfitter, so I have no idea what should or shouldn't have been a surprise.

The others have explained the whimsical ways of the Wyoming draw process. Point creep lives.

Jeremy