colorado 161 elk packer

cnelk

WKR
Only a licensed outfitter can pack out your elk for a fee.

Unless you know a rancher that will do it for nothing - but I dont.

under h2o hunter

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on where you are in 161 but here is a few that work that area. I can tell you that non of them will give you an exact cost nor will they commit to packing your elk out. They will tell you that if they are not busy that day they will do it. I just spoke to the owner of Colorado Outfitters LLC which used to be Steamboat Lake Outfitters at the Denver ISE show and I was unimpressed with how the conversation went.. It almost sounded like he didn't want my money and was almost insulted that I was even asking. Maybe you'll have better luck... Good Luck hope these numbers and names help you.
Red Feather Guides & Outfitters
Arnie Schlottman
PO Box 16
Walden, CO 80480
970-723-4204 (Summers)

PO Box 935
Gypsum CO 81637
970-524-5054 (Winters)
Red Feather Guides & Outfitters Inc. Colorado big game hunting

Platt’s Guide and Outfitters (6/2017)
Star Route, Box 49
Encampment WY 82325
307-327-5539

Steamboat Lake Outfitters (5/2018) Now goes By Colorado Outfitters LLC
P.O. Box 749
Clark, CO 80428
970-879-4404

Del’s Triangle 3 (6/2018)
PO Box 333
Clark CO 80428
970-879-3495

vanish

WKR
When I first started researching elk hunting, I thought I'd just find a packer like all the books suggest. I spent one summer trying to find one, with very little luck.

I am now of the opinion that, for the most part, those days are gone. The outfitters don't want to pack out your elk unless they just happen to be where you are, have nothing else to do and can make a quick buck. They're too busy with clients paying for full guided hunts. I'm not knocking outfitters for this, just stating my opinion of the state of "elk packing".

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
When I first started researching elk hunting, I thought I'd just find a packer like all the books suggest. I spent one summer trying to find one, with very little luck.

I am now of the opinion that, for the most part, those days are gone. The outfitters don't want to pack out your elk unless they just happen to be where you are, have nothing else to do and can make a quick buck. They're too busy with clients paying for full guided hunts. I'm not knocking outfitters for this, just stating my opinion of the state of "elk packing".

I've done the same research and have pretty much come to the same conclusion.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
It almost sounded like he didn't want my money and was almost insulted that I was even asking. Maybe you'll have better luck.

I've had the exact same reactions from the outfitters I've spoken to in an OTC unit. I realize there are $$$ and politics involved but it sure seems like it would make more sense to change the system up a bit and allow the go-getters to get after it.

I would think guys working OTC units would be looking to hustle for every $.

cnelk

WKR
If the system was 'changed up a bit' and allow the go-getters to get after it, you wouldnt pay what they asked.
Because it would be sky-high

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
The outfitters don't necessarily want additional folks hunting in the areas they take paying customers to either.

If the challenge of packing out your kill deters hunters from going into an area, it's to their benefit.

Non-outfitters should be able to pack to meet the need. It's an unreasonable power grab by outfitters since they don't want to do the job. If there are outfitters in an area that offer packing (even if they try to get busy enough with fully outfitted clients that they're booked up) the Forest Service won't allow new (packing) outfitters in an area because there isn't a showing that the service isn't provided. If there aren't any outfitters, then to become a licensed packer you have to win through the prospective and bidding process. It's not enough that you found a need and are willing to meet it.

So the combination of outfitter domination of the market and excessive red tape really shuts down small-time packers who would get licensed.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
The outfitters don't necessarily want additional folks hunting in the areas they take paying customers to either.

If the challenge of packing out your kill deters hunters from going into an area, it's to their benefit.

This makes sense.

rayporter

WKR
the other thing about the outfitters is that they are busy and have their stock dedicated to certain camps and to leave and do something else can really screw up the schedule. just cause he has 30 head does not mean he can go grab one at the drop of a hat [elk]

the animals in camp cant leave camp and he may have to ride many miles and drive many more to get 3 more head that he planned on resting for 2 days. the logistics are not visible to most hikers.

I believe there is a packer in southern Colorado that will go anywhere, anytime to pack your meat. if she goes very far the price is steep.

cnelk

WKR
I'm no economist, but I don't follow your logic here.

Here's the deal.
Like I mentioned above, you have to be a licensed outfitter to pack out elk/deer/etc for a fee.
It just doesnt make economical sense to be an outfitter and only pack out meat for people.

A little story from the past:

Back about 27 years ago, I thought it would be a neat idea to haul my horses up to a popular hunting area for opening weekend of rifle season.
I didnt have anything else going on, figured I could make a little $$$ packing out elk and help out some hunters.

So I set up my wall tent, put the horses out on pickets and waited....

About noon opening day, here they came.... "Hey, can you pack out my elk?"

Me - "Yep"
Them - "How much?"
Me - "$100"
Them - "Lets go"

I packed out a few elk until Sunday afternoon when the Forest Service rolls up and asks for my 'Outfitters License'
I had no idea what they were talking about... ??
I got handed a written warning for 'Guiding without a License'
Next time would be a ticket to show up in Grand Junction before a Federal Magistrate

That was real steep learning curve.

But I did find some sweet spots where elk were killed and made a few hundo $$$

You gotta be real careful charging/renting for 'outfitting' as it encompasses many items.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
the other thing about the outfitters is that they are busy and have their stock dedicated to certain camps and to leave and do something else can really screw up the schedule. just cause he has 30 head does not mean he can go grab one at the drop of a hat [elk]

the animals in camp cant leave camp and he may have to ride many miles and drive many more to get 3 more head that he planned on resting for 2 days. the logistics are not visible to most hikers.

I believe there is a packer in southern Colorado that will go anywhere, anytime to pack your meat. if she goes very far the price is steep.

I can understand this logistics and that's all the more reason to change the game up a bit. There's no reason (other than govt being slow, pig headed and closed minded) to change up the game in a way that generates a little more revenue for them, and income for an entrepreneur.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're referring to Silver Dollar Outfitters, there's a wide gap between what they'll do and what they say they'll do. You're correct about their prices though.