First Timer Archery Elk Hunt in Montana

A good friend and myself are going to try our luck at trying to stick a bull elk for the first time here in Montana. I am a resident and he is in Oklahoma so I will be the guy doing all the scouting, as much as I can.

I have done quite a bit of research using onX maps and talking with some people that I know, but I am still trying to narrow down 2-3 areas to really focus on. We will be hunting in only the general tag areas.

I know this is a touchy question asking other bow hunters where their spot is, but I am just asking for a little help in the right direction. I dont need to know anything exact and if you feel more comfortable with sending me a pm so everyone else on here doesnt see what you have to say.

First time elk hunting and really want to get in to it just want see what some you guys have to say.

Scrappy

WKR
I came to Montana last year for my first elk hunt. So I feel I'm qualified to tell you there are no elk in Montana. You will have to go somewhere else he he.

What I learned is unless someone is willing to give you GPS locations no amount of computer help will give you more info than boots on the ground. Google earth food, cover, water, and no roads. Mark as many of those kind of spots that you can then get in there and scout as close as you can to when your hunt is. It took me four days to find elk during my hunt. That was four hard days of my vacation. Once I found them I was in them every day just ran out of time before I killed one. Stupid job!!!!!

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
You pretty much have the basics down. Check out maps, find several promising places, call the biologists, wait until spring and get out there. Since you live there, you have a huge advantage to making the first hunt easier. Spend as much time in the areas you like throughout the summer as you can. Keep a journal and mark down your findings on a map, GPS, etc.

If you haven't, subscribe to Elk101 and follow the steps they go through. The secret is that there isn't a secret. Consistent success comes from time spent in the woods.

Jeremy