NM group app question

Does each applicant get thrown in the drawing, so if the first one draws the second one does too? or are they considered one app?

OP
timberland
but is only the group leader in the draw or is everybody in the draw?

It is still only a single application in the draw. This application contains all the members of the group. You will not get additional chances for having extra group members... In fact, the group odds can be decreased as NM will not exceed the quota if there are more applicants in the group than remains on the quota.

It is still only a single application in the draw. This application contains all the members of the group. You will not get additional chances for having extra group members...

You sure? I have been looking for this information on their website and cannot find anything to confirm or deny it.

You sure? I have been looking for this information on their website and cannot find anything to confirm or deny it.

That is the reason you submit the application with the group of names, so everyone will be picked, or none. Otherwise, everyone would just submit their own on an individual draw app.

Last edited:
OP
timberland
So everyone tied to a group app does not get into the pool, only the "group leader"?

Trial153

WKR
This isn’t as complicated as it being made out. If you group Is drawn and there is enough tags in the quota left your assigned the tags, if not your skipped and you move down your choice list. You are assigned a single number for your group.

OP
timberland
"You are assigned a single number for your group." This is what I was looking for. As long as you are sure. This is different than everyone being in the draw.

"You are assigned a single number for your group." This is what I was looking for. As long as you are sure. This is different than everyone being in the draw.

But I don't see anywhere on the web where it explicitly says that. The website provided above does not contain the word 'group' or 'party.'

Obviously the odds of drawing change significantly if all 4 of you get a random number as opposed to your group getting one random number.

I'll be putting in solo as I usually do, so it doesn't affect me, but I'm curious enough that I've emailed them to get clarification.

wapitibob

WKR
But I don't see anywhere on the web where it explicitly says that. The website provided above does not contain the word 'group' or 'party.'

Obviously the odds of drawing change significantly if all 4 of you get a random number as opposed to your group getting one random number.

I'll be putting in solo as I usually do, so it doesn't affect me, but I'm curious enough that I've emailed them to get clarification.

I know of no western state that gives each member of a party app their own random number. Some states "may" combine the party into a single app within the computer system but I don't personally know of any that actually do that. What Wyoming does, and I suspect all others do, is simply give all party members the same random number as the party leader/organizer. In effect, combining all the apps without actually having to code the computer to do it. A party of 4 will show as 4 individual apps within the computer draw system but all have the same random number. In effect, becoming a single application for draw purposes. However, as mentioned NM does not fill party apps unless there are tags available. I believe WY is the only western state that adds licenses to fill a party. Those added licenses are then decremented from out 7,250 quota.

What I would do if I really wanted to know for sure, would be to call and ask for the draw dept. I would never call the front desk and ask. You could also email Steve at Toprut. We've discussed this at length for Wyoming and I know he buys the NM database and probably knows the procedure down there.

Heard back from them. You guys were right. For whatever reason I assumed it was the other way.

"...Thank you for contacting us. It is your combined application that gets assigned one number..."

Not a hard concept to grasp, I'm just not one to make assumptions. Since nobody could point us to an answer on the NM DGF Website (which seems like a shortcoming), there's no harm in asking, right?