Colorado OTC Archery in 2018

Etexag

FNG
Hey guys, I know some aren't willing to give much info, but I am trying to get as much as I can. Feel free to PM me.

I live out of state, and have applied to several states for elk. I don't have many preference points anywhere, so I am prepping for my OTC hunt.

My parents live in Breck, so I am thinking about areas near there as it will be easier for me to scout. This has brought me to unit 36 as my primary target. I work in Denver every couple months, so I can commit a couple weekends to scout. I assume, since it is easy for me to get there, it is easy for everyone else. How crowded will it be? Planning on backpack hunting away from roads 10 days with a mobile camp. I am in pretty good shape and not worried about strenuous terrain. Can anyone help me with this area? I am willing to talk in private if needed.

I am also thinking about 521 as a second option. Others are 74 and 71, although these will be the hardest for me to scout.

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I’ve been in 421 if u decide there I can share my limited knowledge with ya just PM me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
You will be ahead of the game spending as much time as possible in a unit you can spend the most time getting familiar with. You'll have to think outside the box if you want to get into elk in any OTC unit in Colo. The elk on public land get hammered hard. The more boot leather you put on the ground the more likely you'll be able to figure things out. It may take several seasons to figure out a good strategy.

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
You will be ahead of the game spending as much time as possible in a unit you can spend the most time getting familiar with. You'll have to think outside the box if you want to get into elk in any OTC unit in Colo. The elk on public land get hammered hard. The more boot leather you put on the ground the more likely you'll be able to figure things out. It may take several seasons to figure out a good strategy.

This is 150% true with the exception that out of the box thinking for me when looking at OTC units basically means go where most all others are not willing to go. You will only find this, like has been said many times, with boot leather being worn to nothing haha IE- think extreme terrain, and this isnt necessarily miles into the back country since in Colorado there is truly only 1 place where you can be more than 11 miles from a road that is accessible by the public. And if you have found the extreme terrain mentioned earlier, you wont get 11 miles in there anyhow. As far as unit 36, In my opinion 37 is better for finding the extreme terrain you may wish to find. (Think north of Dillon/Silverthorn and as far east in the unit as you can get).

OP
E

Etexag

FNG
I agree. Went and drove around the area yesterday. Looks like the 37/371 will be my target. Simply because it’s close to my parents, and I can spend the most time there this summer as compared to other units. If anyone with experience here would like to talk privately I’d greatly appreciate the input. I hope to spend a couple weekends scouting and hunt 7-10 days.

Ben Nicholson

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 371 two years ago. I have some maps I can lend you if you go that route. I won’t be going back there this year. I might for deer sometime, but not in 2018.

oldgoat

WKR
Have a way to see private/public land boundaries and you can hunt closer to the house some days, there's lots of elk there, especially if you're willing to shoot a cow! Lots of moose around so be careful and have fun.

OP
E

Etexag

FNG
Have a way to see private/public land boundaries and you can hunt closer to the house some days, there's lots of elk there, especially if you're willing to shoot a cow! Lots of moose around so be careful and have fun.

I don't really care that much about a trophy.... I am primarily just meat hunting and experience the country. I have killed big elk guided, I just like the DIY adventure more

nursul

FNG
Hey guys, I know some aren't willing to give much info, but I am trying to get as much as I can. Feel free to PM me.

I live out of state, and have applied to several states for elk. I don't have many preference points anywhere, so I am prepping for my OTC hunt.

My parents live in Breck, so I am thinking about areas near there as it will be easier for me to scout. This has brought me to unit 36 as my primary target. I work in Denver every couple months, so I can commit a couple weekends to scout. I assume, since it is easy for me to get there, it is easy for everyone else. How crowded will it be? Planning on backpack hunting away from roads 10 days with a mobile camp. I am in pretty good shape and not worried about strenuous terrain. Can anyone help me with this area? I am willing to talk in private if needed.

I am also thinking about 521 as a second option. Others are 74 and 71, although these will be the hardest for me to scout.

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
I know this post is old and a long shot of getting a reply back, but I’ll try. I’m curious if you stayed on plan and hunted 36/37/371? I’ve Archery hunted 36/371 the last four years and I’d be interested in your experience.