Unit 78 Colorado

Taw024

FNG
Hi all

I am fairly new here more of a lurker. That’s only because I don’t have much help to offer in elk. I can help if u wanna hunt whitetail in ks or call coyotes lol. My ? Is that I’m planning on taking my daughter to 78. I am not sure if that’s the right decision but I read on all the sites and look at maps and I get no where so 78 I think it is. What should we expect? Where not trophy hunting by no means. Really plan to get high and try watch elk get some good pics. We will be there prolly 3 week of season. I’m sure I have more ? But this will get me started.

swampokie

WKR
There will be times that ur wondering if you've ventured into texas. Good number of elk just like the rest of sw Colorado. Huge number of people. There will be a lot of muzz and bear rifle hunters also. I wouldn't necessarily get deep into the wilderness as that's where I found the most people. Good luck

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck! I’ve never hunted that unit, but it looks like a good choice on paper. If you hunt hard I’d be surprised if you don’t have some chances.

OP
T

Taw024

FNG
Thanks for the input!! Do any u think I would be better served to go first week of season. I plan to go out late July and kinda get idea of what it looks like and try to see what hikers are doing. Any detail I learn from that may be better served first week of season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will_m

WKR
With three weeks to hunt, giving you the entire month of September nearly, I would think going the first week would be good. Be advised, however, the first week can usually be crowded while people stomp each other out before getting burned out and the crowd subsiding.

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
Beautiful country, some elk, LOTS of ppl. camped to hunt (not always hunting). With 3 weeks in there I am sure you will figure it out and find some elk. Don't be afraid to move a few times.

OP
T

Taw024

FNG
Thanks to all that responded it’s been tough trying to decide on a unit but at least u guys give me hope we might see something. She was excited to read some ur post!!

There will be times that ur wondering if you've ventured into texas. Good number of elk just like the rest of sw Colorado. Huge number of people. There will be a lot of muzz and bear rifle hunters also. I wouldn't necessarily get deep into the wilderness as that's where I found the most people. Good luck

Well technically it use to be part of the Republic of Texas.

OP- I grew up in the unit, it takes some effort to get away from people, get a bear tag. Lots of bears.

OP
T

Taw024

FNG
Yes I was gonna ask that after some the other post? What’s the likely hood of seeing a bear?

gabenzeke

WKR
I looked into this area last year but ended up in a different unit. When I talked to the biologist he said calf recruitment hadn't been good the last few years due to the bears. But in conversation it sounded like that is where he hunts. He said most guys head uphill to hunt, but he prefers going down as there is less pressure. He was talking about the area around bear park.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well technically it use to be part of the Republic of Texas.

OP- I grew up in the unit, it takes some effort to get away from people, get a bear tag. Lots of bears.

Texans42, are you familiar with the area just North of the Del Oso Pardo area in New Mexico (it's just a mile or two South of the Colorado State line on 17) ?

Texans42, are you familiar with the area just North of the Del Oso Pardo area in New Mexico (it's just a mile or two South of the Colorado State line on 17) ?

Not Overly, that ranch area though is prime time if higher country has good snow.

OP
T

Taw024

FNG
I would even be willing to trade a whitetail hunt in ks on my private ground stands already in place for some good solid bear and elk info!!

I would even be willing to trade a whitetail hunt in ks on my private ground stands already in place for some good solid bear and elk info!!

Did you end up going here? Curious to know what your experience as on out of state hunter was like.