solo hunt

Scrappy

WKR
I think I might just be the weird guy in the bunch. I went on my first elk hunt last year. Never even gave a thought to going solo. From day one I always knew I would be going all alone. I know weird right.

Like everyone has already stated, planning is everything. I didn't kill a bull on my first trip, I had severaal opportunities but only two slam dunks at bulls. Both times I let down, one was almost to far to pack out solo but extremely to hot to try. The other was extremely to far to pack one out solo from the trailhead I was parked at. I had a blast all by myself and will be going it alone again this Sept. Yup I'm the weirdo in the room and I don't care.

2blade

WKR
I've been going alone for a little over 35 yrs, this yr will be another. If I had to wait on other people I probably never had went hunting at all. Last yr I ran in to a guy from out of state. He was 76 and out there doing it all alone. Its really no big deal but then I enjoy the solitude.

I did my first solo trip from WI last year. I had my doubts about the trip, but the fact I was hunting an area I was familiar with gave me the confidence to try. I came home with a 6x7. Plan well, don’t take risks, and give it hell.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I think I’m going alone this year. My hunting partner can’t get time off work as easily as I can. I don’t mind the hunting alone but if I get an elk I would sure have my work cut out. I’m from Michigan too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
D
I think I’m going alone this year. My hunting partner can’t get time off work as easily as I can. I don’t mind the hunting alone but if I get an elk I would sure have my work cut out. I’m from Michigan too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you rile hunt or bow hunt?

Brendan

WKR
I've hunted elk 4 times. I'm 2 for 2 solo. 0 for 2 with partner(s).

The pack out sucks while you're doing it, but makes for a fantastic end to a trip...

What cnelk said. Make sure you have a plan and a method for emergency contact.

It takes several days to get the regular, daily noise out of your head.

But some people can't stand themselves or the natural self-assessment that accompanies extended solo time.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
You have to go on the hunt . Like stated before get a Inreach and enjoy a different aspect of hunting . We only get so many trips around the sun. It's the adventure as much as the hunt .

OP
D
I have only done rifle. Where i go you cant really spot and stalk and i have never tried calling them. I would need to improve my call game before going with the string and sticks.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Me too on the calling . I practice everyday on the way to work . I'm a little better than below average . I MZ hunt so calling is critical the first part of Oct. Have fun and good hunting .

OP
D
I would like to MZ hunt but i think i would need a point or 2 where i go and im not familiar with any other units.

PredatorX

WKR
You should really analyze the type of person you are or the mindset you have. Are you going to be there reminiscing on the good times you had with your buddies? If you let your mind wander I think it could suck for you. Or are you there to bring home some meat?

I think it is also different if you are by the truck (more creature comforts) or sleeping in the backcountry. Would you be able to keep yourself occupied with camp chores? Figure this out before you drop all of that cash and time.

Even with that said I would try it once to see if you like it. The guys quote above is stellar!!! No regrets and don't look back brother.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Never done elk solo but have done several archery pronghorn hunts on my own from Michigan to South Dakota and Wyoming. Logistics of elk hunting are a big deal. Plan it out and and go. Remember packing out 3 miles on a good trial is pretty easy. Bushwhacking 3 miles with elevation gain or extreme down hill terrain may not be doable. Do the gutless, have good game bags, and time. Bone them out and only take the good. All the rest is just camping and walking by yourself in the woods. Be smart and you will be fine. Remember the most dangerous part of the hunt is the drive from Northern Michigan to west. The woods is really a pretty safe place!

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
You can call me if you want to talk about details of planning and hunting elk solo for a MI guy. I have done it every year by myself and it's very rewarding. 231-645-9663 We only live 30 minutes away from each other.
As others have mentioned, there are things that need to be mapped out before the hunt. The hardest thing is deciding to do it, lucky for you, you have been out with friends already.
Get as much info from Tony as you can...but don't go hunting with him, you'll be hauling meat constantly. The guy is a elk and whitetail killer😀

tttoadman

WKR
It can be the little things when going Solo. Be conscious of risks around you. The Inreach was a game changer for me. I will BS with the wife during a snack break in the middle of the day. Make sure and take a paper map of the area. It is great focus at night for an hour making a game plan for the next day, and there is nobody there to argue with you. Passing the time on the long nights is the hardest part.

OP
D
2 years ago our group went 3 for 4 so i did end up packing out a whole elk worth of meat so I guess i can handle it if i take my time. The pack is hard but the memories are great.

ElkNut1

WKR
Lots of good info & thoughts to consider! Here's some info that I have written on the App for Newer Hunters, it can apply to any of us though! It will be in the New Hunters Tips section along with choosing a State, unit in a state, Base-camp or Bivy, etc. Hope it helps out!

ElkNut/Paul

Navigation/Communication! - Have your Topo Maps, Compass and GPS with you at all times! Make sure you know how to use them with one another! Consider an Inreach or like device, these can keep you in contact with emergency services if needed! They can also be used to contact selected ones back home to assure them of your where a-bouts and safety! These units can aid in both you and your families peace of mind!

Base-camp Or Bivy? What style of hunt will you be using? Some use base camps while others prefer bivy style hunts. Both can be productive! I'd recommend a base camp elk hunt as a new hunter. You're not familiar with the country so really do not know where the elk are so a bivy style hunt could put you in elk-less areas burning up days of a 7-10 day hunt. I would recommend staying mobile so you can check out different spots you scouted via topo maps/google earth ahead of time! It's nice to have a hot meal and able to dry gear out if needed, base camps offer this, you never know when inclement weather can show it's ugly face! If you do locate elk many miles away and you are geared up to stay a night or two with the elk then consider that as an option! As you become more in tune with western elk hunting and want to penetrate deeper for days at a time then it can be considered since you've located areas that have high odds that hold elk!

As a sidenote most elk are taken less than 2 GPS miles from roads and trails!
If you must Bivy hunt as a newer elk hunter consider a distance no greater than you can safely haul an elk out, 2 GPS miles would be a good distance for a lone hunter not to go beyond one way. It would be a doable distance away from a base-camp near your rig if needed!-- Be honest with yourself and Identify your Limitations the glamour of a bivy hunt can quickly wear off when you get your first look at how big and awesome Elk Country really is!
A set distance of 2 miles should be within your comfort zone with still plenty of elk to be had especially with the two methods mentioned below! Consider further distances if multiple hunters in your group!