solo hunt

I've been solo hunting on over 50% of my hunts that I've been on over the last 30 years. It's not that big of a deal. Just keep yourself mentally tough and you'll be good. Have fun and good luck!

ChrisS

WKR
Being able to spend an extended period of time by yourself is the key. I can hunt all day solo, prefer to, but it's the time in camp that buried me. I'm introvert, but having someone else around to discuss strategy or bounce ideas off of or even to just break your thought process out of a loop and make a decision can be very helpful. It can be very easy to talk yourself off the mountain. A solo day trip is not the same as going on a 7-10 hunting trip by yourself. I envy the guys that can do that.

That you're familiar with the place that you want to go is a big step in the right direction; it's just one less strange/new thing you have to worry about or get acclimated to.

The drive can suck, but I'm OK with a 16-18 hour day behind the wheel if I have some snacks, podcasts, and satellite radio.

cbrown2x

FNG
I just did a solo Muley hunt this Jan. By far the best hunt I have done, nothing to hold you back but yourself, if you want it go get it. Good luck

Most my elk hunting has been solo. Take precautions to stay safe and remember the biggest battles will be between your ears.

I've only solo hunted, not by choice, haven't had anyone to go with. My thought has been if I don't have the motivation to hunt by myself then I probably don't have what it takes to be successful. It's lonely out there, having access to audio books , music, and podcasts on my phone helped a lot. Packed out my first elk this last season by myself 5 miles. Loved every minute of it. Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I love hunting solo and do it almost all the time.

Hell, sounds like you're have everything you need, I say do it!

Then you can kill a nice elk and make those guys wish they didn't cancel on you. :)

Seriously, give it heck and get it done! Good luck!

Bacwest

FNG
I have solo hunted myself on many occasions and if you're wall tent camping you're probably near your truck so even if you get lonely, which is what I have to fight, you could just head into town or something for half a day and visit over breakfast or lunch. The great part about small Western towns is the people usually have the time to visit with stranger's! Plus you can learn some great area to check out...

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll probably end up on my hunt solo as well because a few of the guys who said they would go just don’t really seem as into it as me.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Go for it, you'll enjoy it especially with a base camp to come back to at night. You seem to already know the area and with a base camp you know if others will be around if an emergency arises. If you are solo backpack hunting, it gets to be very different. For me, the first 2 nights are always fine. the 4th night and so on are fine. But, for me, the third night on the hill alone is the hardest...miss family...feel like I should be home with them and not alone...etc. I know what to expect on night 3 but still its a challenge. If/When you go solo, you may find each night has different emotions and just be aware of it and stick it out.

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
Been reading you guys for a few years enjoying your posts and felt strongly enough on this topic to make my first comment. When I started hunting alone my wife was concerned about my safety. She told me I could die on a mountain side and the bears and coyotes would eat me. Told her I would rather die in the solitude of the mountains than laying in a nursing home wearing diapers. As far as the bears and coyotes- well they gotta eat too, I won't hold a grudge. I still hunt with others some but being alone is often a rewarding experience.

If going solo is financially possible, then by all means plan to go. A lot of people seem to not realize that planning a group trip that requires a lot of travel time and money, gets changed financially when people drop out and replacements can't be found. A trip that costs $1200 a piece for 5 guys becomes a $2500-$3000 trip with only one guy. And that is a minimum. The gas bill alone will be absorbed only by one instead of 5. Emergency money for accidents, motel rooms, vehicle maintenance, etc becomes your responsibility alone. Credit cards can serve that purpose but, I've always assumed most people who are financially able to do these hunts every year use them only in the case they have the capital to make the purchase with cash. So, it isn't as if most people fear being alone as much as is portrayed. Its many things to consider.

However, if you go, You'll love it. I've been mostly solo hunting for the last 15 years and, it is great. Camp buds are too. I think the common denominator between both camps is "hunt". God Bless men

Last edited:

LaHunter

WKR
Good advise above. Going solo definitely has its own rewards. Someone mentioned above about the drive being the most dangerous part of the trip. Lots of truth in that statement. Don't overdo it driving. Fatigued driving can be very dangerous. I've been solo for the past 2 years, traveling 1500 miles, one way.
Another factor to consider is time to set up and take down your base camp. It will take 2X longer than you think, if you have never done it solo.
Don't rush and just enjoy the process of every aspect of the trip, your not on a clock in the mountains.

Good Luck

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
If going solo is financially possible, then by all means plan to go. A lot of people seem to not realize that planning a group trip that requires a lot of travel time and money, gets changed financially when people drop out and replacements can't be found. A trip that costs $1200 a piece for 5 guys becomes a $2500-$3000 trip with only one guy. And that is a minimum.

This is the only reason I have been looking for people to go with me. I know I would be fine once there but gas prices and such on the way out and back add up quick.

I also plan on renting a truck to take out after what happened to me this year in Florida. We drove to Florida and on the way home started getting a knock in the motor. Had it towed to the dealer. They couldn’t even look at it for 2 weeks so We got a rental for for 650 dollars for one way and only had it 17 hours. Then the 700 bucks to ship my truck home and then the 1500 dollar repair bill. I got a quote for about 600 bucks to rent a truck for 2 weeks so I will be doing that to avoid and unexpected BS.