solo hunt

It looks like the other guys in my camp are backing out for this year, and its not been real easy for me to find others interested in Michigan. How many of you do solo hunts? I think I still want to go. We have a place we have been going to in Colorado and I am pretty familiar with it. I would be hunting out of a wall tent. I own several and one is plenty easy for me to set up by myself. I have never done anything like this by myself. Any advice? I have always done the first rifle season.

marktole

WKR
If you’ve already been to the place you’re going to be hunting and logistics (setting up your tent, travel, etc.) isn’t going to be a problem, then what’s stopping you? Give solo hunting a try, you might find you like it better. Don’t cost yourself a hunt you want to do on the account of others.

I say do it, and don’t look back, that’s my advice.

Diesel

WKR
There is a first time for everything. I have done it several times. Very rewarding and confidence building.

Try to get there early and do as much scouting as possible. Be reasonable on how deep you go for your first time. Have a communication plan. Make sure two people know where you are going. Watch the weather for that big snow. Relax and enjoy the solitude, the kill is not the success.

It's a long drive alone so allow time for it. Be specific on gear, you have been there before. You know what YOU need and what you can do without.

You mentioned that you have hunted there before so you have a leg up. Maybe have one of the guys that has been with you before be one of your contacts just in case. He will know where to begin.

When you get one down, have a plan to get it out and take care of the meat. If elk, take a reasonable load as the base line the first trip out. You don't want to be so stoved up that the next trip is agony.

The thing about solo is you are the only one who knows what it was like. No witness, no one to share the story that can truly relate. It's a whole different experience. A group is fun and has that shared quality, solo is more introspective and thought provoking. You are more tuned in by necessity. Many folks fear being alone, but once done it will change you.

Safety is the only real concern.

I have a friend from Michigan that lives in Colorado now. He lives to hunt. He was from the thumb area. Around Rifle Co. now. What general area do you plan to hunt? Might be a connection.

If you go, I would like to hear your thoughts on your experience.

Nick

Where in Michigan you from?

Just do the hunt. You'll regret it if you don't go, come October.

cnelk

WKR
Get yourself an InReach and go do it.

I camp, fish, hunt, atv, snowmobile in the mtns all the time by myself.
But... I always have my InReach with me

OP
D
Im about 1/2 hour south of Traverse City Michigan. I have an inreach. Im starting to feel better about the solo hunt. Thanks for all the encouragement.

elkduds

WKR
I have mostly hunted solo for a decade. You can definitely do this. You already have experience in the area. You can get experience this summer setting up and camping by yourself on weekends close to home. In CO you can let others camped near you know you are solo, they will often have your back. You can carry a PLB or Insight if there is not cell service where you hunt. The PLB technology lets you communicate w your family/friends, and call in the cavalry if the fertilizer hits the fan. You can definitely do this! You get to hunt as hard as you want, where you want. You will learn important stuff about who you are as a hunter and a person. Many outdoor training programs have "solos," where you fend for yourself, because they are powerful experiences. And when you are done, you are different.

Solo hunting is great and you'll love it.
Solo packing can suck and you'll love it.
I would suggest contacting a couple outfitters/packers for help if you drop a bull way back or during hot weather etc

cnelk

WKR
Sometime this summer, take your wall tent and some gear and go camping all by yourself for an entire weekend. No cell phone / etc.
Get off the beaten path if you can. Sort of a trial run.
Keep yourself busy - cut/chop wood, game pole, etc
Pay attention to details around camp, like you would at elk camp, think things thru
The nights will be long.

The hunting is the easy part. :)

svivian

WKR
I love hunting by myself. No one slowing you down or trying to hurry you up. You can hunt the way you want to hunt and if you mess up there isn't anyone else to blame.

TWP

FNG
Go dude, just go! You will learn a lot about yourself and the hunting is way better. Nights can be long, but if you are wall tent camping. Buy yourself a great journal that you can keep forever and make an epic journal about your hunt. The crows doing aerial acrobatics, the squirrel dropping cones on you, the cow elk at 8 yards that busted you, etc. That journal and those memories will be there for you when you are in the old home. I’ve found a man regrets the things he didn’t do, compared to the things he actually did.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
You can call me if you want to talk about details of planning and hunting elk solo for a MI guy. I have done it every year by myself and it's very rewarding. 231-645-9663 We only live 30 minutes away from each other.
As others have mentioned, there are things that need to be mapped out before the hunt. The hardest thing is deciding to do it, lucky for you, you have been out with friends already.

rayporter

WKR
one of the best tips given is to go on a few solo trips near home first. if you are compatible with your self you will be happy alone.

luck-ray

Bob92057

FNG
I go solo every year. Drive out from So Calif and spend 7-10 days every year during the archery hunt. Have met some great folks along the way. As was mentioned above, the solitude is great, but can wear on you after a few days.

And yes, my InReach is always on and I'm always aware of my limits. Did I mention I'm 57 this year?

Don't want to look back one day and say 'wish I would have (fill in the blank)'.

Solo hunting is the only way I will hunt. I have an inreach so my wife can track me and it really puts her at ease. know your limits as mentioned before.