You got mules/horses? I have the spot

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for the lame post title to get things started! So the past few years I have hunted an archery only unit in Colorado, and to say the least the terrain is rugged! I have gone through several pairs of pants, a few shirts, a bow string and a camelback due to the vegetation of the area, which is standing fairly high. At one point last season I found myself about two miles into the unit and literally could not get out the way I came in so I fought the brush to the bottom where I walked in the creek out of the area in the water.

There are a few fire control roads in the unit, and these roads lead to some seriously nice drainages for elk, although the hike is 8-10 miles from the road. I have literally sat on one side of a drainage and watched elk run back and forth on the other side. The problem is it takes forever to walk the oak brush over there, and no kidding once there I watch elk run back and forth on the side I came from. The reason for the post is, this area is no access to anything but horses/mules and foot traffic and to be honest I’m tired of walking into the hunting area. The trek into the area takes a ton of energy and doesn’t allow me to hunt as hard as I would have otherwise. In addition, once something is down it’s a nightmare to say the least. A quick example of how the terrain is would be when I walked within 3 feet of a mountain lion last season, as well as within 20 feet of a couple of bears. None of these animals knew I was there, and I had no idea they were there either because it is simply so thick in the unit. Another example is when I ran into an active duty military member on the way out who stated verbatim “I ain’t going back in there”.

Ok so the point of my rambling is if anyone has horses or mules, is an archery hunter, and wants to hunt an awesome,unknown, and proven unit OTC, I would be willing to share my spot with you as long as we get along. By get along, I mean play by the rules, no marijuana even tho it’s colorado haha, and pretty easy going, and basically doesn’t get offended by anything! For reference I’m 33 years old.Thx for the time all

Ucsdryder

WKR
Brads suggestion was my next. If you don’t have experience with stock I wouldn’t go that route alone though!

ahlgringo

WKR
Llamas, that would be my answer. I had zero experience with pack animals and had no trouble with em last year. Those guys will go anywhere as well. Took em right past where an outfitter stopped his horses and mules claiming there was no way to get any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VO2Max

FNG
Llamas, that would be my answer. I had zero experience with pack animals and had no trouble with em last year. Those guys will go anywhere as well. Took em right past where an outfitter stopped his horses and mules claiming there was no way to get any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^ this is a good idea! Check out Randy Newberg's Hunt Talk Podcast on Llamas. You can rent pack Llamas and I think your area may be the one to use them. I know I am intrigued to say the least regarding using Llamas someday soon!

Read his post HE doesn't want to walk. So if you use llamas he is still having to walk himself.

Last edited:

Nicklhead

FNG
Pm me we can talk but I will not garauntee that we will hunt. I have mules but I have good areas myself. I would need you to be an excellent elk whisperer and talk the talk to them and the area had best hold big elk not just elk. I have taken elk in three different areas and I do not want to teach someone how to call or hunt. If this sounds lime you then let’s talk