high country elk

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
I have several questions regarding high country elk. I'm from the east, and have been west twice now, diy yet to harvest an elk but successful hunts for what I wanted to accomplish. We have elk in PA that i often toy with and here, I know them well, however there's an obvious difference between here and there. (pressure & terrain) I often read that once pressured, elk will head for the nastiest country where most will not care to go. Going to those places is not a problem for me. That's what I seek and try to scout (internet). The area I hunt is along a rugged mountain range which has as many rocks as trees as the drainage progresses upward to treeline. This is where I have questions of. We don't have terrain like that here so I'm having trouble deciphering where pressured elk would or wouldn't go. For example: Would they go as far as hiding in a small bowl above treeline with an alpine lake, little grass and few trees? Will they go into basically, where you'd find Mountain Goat? Will they go up into a drainage where it funnels into the rugged steep range with little escape options? In among rocks and pines with small grazing areas? Or will they stay below that in the darker timber? I know these are probably some dumb questions. I'm just wondering if I'm over thinking the rough terrain.... if that makes any sense. Thanks in advance

IdahoElk

WKR
You would be better off finding terrain that offers Food, water and bedding rather than just focusing on the nastiest terrain.I made the mistake when I first started hunting Elk thinking there was a magic spot that was impossible for most to find that held all the Elk but now I find them by their needs rather than thinking they are some crafty creature.
Good luck!

Trial153

WKR
yes your over thinking it. Elk when pressured make way more of a lateral move into heavy cover and dark timber and inaccessible area if its available. They arent going to move up above the timberline or down into a winter range if that not tyical for that time of year. howvever i have been told that later in the season bulls will if the weather is stillnoj move back higher. i havent experenced that however all all my elking has been during early archery seasons. Not sure if i explaned that well lol

Last edited:

sveltri

WKR
I used think of the nastiest country as the highest and farthest to get to. What the guys said above is exactly what I find to be true here in Colorado as well. I believe they will head into dark nasty timber that is tough to travel and see through.

Yes they will go above tree line but they'll only do this in large groups from what I've seen and there is usually feed. Lots of eyes but you could easily slip in and get a cow. Ive seen them go down cliffs and cross rock slides I wouldnt dare go over headed towards water or bedding. Youd look at it and think there is no escape options but they'll manage it. They'll skirt those transition areas between the rockslides and dark timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all! That's exactly the info I was looking for! I kind of had a hunch but just needed to hear it from the pro's!

I agree that elk aren't usually found where the goats live above treeline. They like good feed. Look for them in the breaks in the expanse of timber, even better if there's a burn in the area.

After the rut (October 10thish), bulls will get in some really rugged and nasty places as they're focused on staying undisturbed to stay alive and recover from the rut. They still would like a little food and water around then.

I would look into Randy Newbergs material to learn more about elk. Good stuff. Some people like Elk Hunting University too if you're willing to spend that money.

gelton

WKR
In my limited experience I have found that when pressured Elk dont always go higher and usually go lower using the steep timbered canyons as escape routes. People always say that it takes a good snow to push them down, I think pressure pushes them down. Remember most private land is in the valleys not above timberline. The elk know that too.

During 2nd rifle last year we went from 12K ft down to 8500ft to find elk. The elk had moved lower and it wasn't due to snow, but IMO pressure.

FlyGuy

WKR
In my limited experience I have found that when pressured Elk dont always go higher and usually go lower using the steep timbered canyons as escape routes. People always say that it takes a good snow to push them down, I think pressure pushes them down. Remember most private land is in the valleys not above timberline. The elk know that too.

During 2nd rifle last year we went from 12K ft down to 8500ft to find elk. The elk had moved lower and it wasn't due to snow, but IMO pressure.
Same here. By the 9th of September no elk to be found above treeline. The money spot turned out to be between 8000-8500 all week. If we got above that we were just hiking, dropped down and got into elk.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

GotDraw?

WKR
Good points above from other posters.

Food, water and shelter in as close proximity to each other as possible. That's what they want. They prefer not to move, but will do so easily if pushed and you won't keep up. If it's hot, they'll generally stay higher and away from bugs. They are generally grazers, not browsers so they will be in meadows above the tree line to feed in the evening if un-pressured and morning, back in the dark timber during the day to stay cool and catch a nap.

Interesting to hear from the posts above that they sometimes drop to 8500 ft in early Sept. Makes me think about expanding my search area.

Idaho has a little different elevations than CO but I find them more often at the heads of drainages with water in Sept but I've found some halfway down the drainages also. I think there are good reasons for the thinking to look for elk up high in the early season but I don't see it as anything ironclad.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think that looking for elk at a specific altitude is universal, the terrain characteristics are more important and, in specific areas, those characteristics will typically be at certain altitudes. Where I live the highest altitude is around 9000 feet so quite often I'll find the similar landscape characteristics at 8000 feet that hunters in Colorado might find at 11000 feet.

Love this topic! Pressured Elk. Whether high or low. They go where they feel safe. Once they feel safe, they are in an unpressured area, until you find them and put a little pressure on them ;) finding those "pockets" is key. Alot of variables will dictate where those pockets are. Understanding the terrain is one thing. Understanding why they are there is another. Understanding the habitat, and it's relation vs timing of the rut is huge. And fluid depending on where the pressure is ;)

Idaho has a little different elevations than CO but I find them more often at the heads of drainages with water in Sept but I've found some halfway down the drainages also. I think there are good reasons for the thinking to look for elk up high in the early season but I don't see it as anything ironclad.

I've been into elk plenty from 7500 to 9000' in CO in or near drainages while many other hunters are heading to the top of the mountain. ;)