Idaho archery elk hunting, advice, suggestions, tips

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to hunt elk next September in Idaho. I have couple units picked in eyeing. 36b 48 and maybe a couple others. Any advice on these units? Elevation for finding elk. Terrain and so on for finding them. You can pm or text if ya like 3608153198

TWP

FNG
Hunted both, good country. Go the latter part of the month if you can. Idaho isn't real tall, but real damn steep in that part. I freak'n love that country, it is just a long drive from Tejas. They will be on top, or at least all the elk that I have ever found are. Get off the roads and a ridge or two over and off the main trails and you won't find anyone. Or at least we didn't.

Seriously though, make the big pulls and get on top. Run ridges as much as you can and enjoy yourself. Check trail access though, lots of trails are good for dirt bikes, set up one evening for a calling session and had three guys come hauling ass down the trail on their dirt bikes having a blast. Wasn't even mad, it was legal and they were enjoying our public lands. Still an awesome place.

I had the second rifle bull tag in 48 last year. It is a smaller unit, and gets lots of pressure even during the archery season. If you can get away from the crowds you can get into elk. That means getting away from the Sun Valley Corridor, or hike across the River into one of the canyons with limited access. It is beautiful country though, just need a little planning to get away from other hunters

OP
kvw4x4

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted both, good country. Go the latter part of the month if you can. Idaho isn'hey t real tall, but real damn steep in that part. I freak'n love that country, it is just a long drive from Tejas. They will be on top, or at least all the elk that I have ever found are. Get off the roads and a ridge or two over and off the main trails and you won't find anyone. Or at least we didnSeriously though, make the big pulls and get on top. Run ridges as much as you can and enjoy yourself. Check trail access though, lots of trails are good for dirt bikes, set up one evening for a calling session and had three guys come hauling ass down the trail on their dirt bikes having a blast. Wasn't even mad, it was legal and they were enjoying our public lands. Still an awesome place.

interesting, so your saying to far from the main roads and you wont see elk anymore? if you had to pick one of these units which would you pick? Thanks

IdahoElk

WKR
48 has been getting hammered the last few years,if you come here hunt in non motorized areas away from established trail heads.Pm me if you need help.

TWP

FNG
You will not see as many elk meat the roads. Lots of 4 wheeler and truck traffic in areas. But if you are willing to get up on top and stay in the zone they are in during September, you are going to have a much better chance. It is like reading water through out the day fly fishing. Find the zone/elevation they are spending time at and you will set yourself apart from the majority of folks. Most of those elk are up high in September.

As for units, I suggest you find the units without gun hunts during the year. Pretty easy to find on the Idaho website.

I don't hunt those units I but I agree with what's been said as far as starting with the assumption that elk will be up high and trying to get away from roads and trails. They can be halfway down a drainage though as well. You're looking for meadows and the heads of creeks and even grassy hillsides.

I'd check out the Randy Newberg material to learn more about elk.

OP
kvw4x4

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
I'm gonna bump this up got some great info from idahohikker, but still would love to hear more

OP
kvw4x4

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
What EXACTLY are you looking for??
One thing I wonder is do I pick my number 1 spot and hunt a couple mile radius if I find zero sign move into a completely new area. Like over a certain amount of miles away Or just continue to hunt the area I picked. Just moving over ridges?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing I wonder is do I pick my number 1 spot and hunt a couple mile radius if I find zero sign move into a completely new area. Like over a certain amount of miles away Or just continue to hunt the area I picked. Just moving over ridges?
Yep zero sign and I move on to plan B

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Look at Randy Newbergs stuff. As a general rule, don't stay long when you're not seeing or hearing anything. Have lots of options.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
You pick 11 spots, you focus on 6 of em, you really focus on 3 of em. You stick and move if need be.

jdk81

FNG
Good info here. We are also trying to pick a unit to hunt early archery elk. More than happy with a cow, and we want a backcountry hunt. Thanks

Killed my first bull in 48 last year. Get away from roads and trails. Deep and steep is the name of the game to consistently find elk here during archery season. Be ready for some nasty burnt blowdown. It's amazing the nasty holes the elk will pile into. The locals will take some nice bulls the first few days of the season as they have them patterned in their summer range. Definitely have a plethora of spots as the elk can move around a lot.