new guy without a clue elk questions

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
thinking of going on a rifle elk hunt. so i hear alot of get away from the roads and such but does a person truck camp during rifle or backpack camp? and what is a fair distance one man can get an elk out on his own? trying to figure this all out is a headache.

thanks again

I have always hunted from a base camp. I hunt from a wall tent. This is the first year that I will be hunting by myself. I have always hunted in a group. I am thinking of the 2-3 mile range for packing, but I will shoot an elk where I can find it and just take my time packing it out. The pack is a lot of work, but it is doable.

Would need more info on season, state, time of year, etc to really help you out since that question depends a lot on the terrain and weather you will be hunting in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMT

WKR
Here is a little advice that tells you everything and nothing at he same time. It’s easy to overthink the hunt with gear, clothing, bow vs rifle, OTC unit versus draw unit, and where and how to camp. There is no “need” for any of the latest gear or for packing in a million miles from the nearest road. I’ve camped next to road and have shot deer and elk within 1/2 mile of my truck (where I was camped) on public land. My son has no “hunting” specific clothing and shoots a 15 year old bow. If i had to place a bet on who will fill his tag next year, I will take him over a guy who has focused on buying $3000 worth of gear that is packing in a million miles from the road.

Owenst7

WKR
Depends on where you are. The place I like to hunt might have a dozen or so elk within a couple miles of the road. We backpack in about 8 miles and set up a spike camp or I'll bivy hunt in that vicinity if I'm alone. I'm sure people fill tags from the road out there, but I'd rather hike half a day and be surrounded by animals than have to trip over ATVs and other hunters for a week.

elkyinzer

WKR
Truck camping it is certainly doable finding elk. For me the ideal option is truck camping with the capability to bivy out 1-2 nights at a time if I find elk that are awful to get to. Best of both worlds.

Meat is so variable by terrain and weather. Alone, figure an elk is 3-6 trips depending what you are capable of carrying. In cold weather you could take multiple days to get it off the mountain and really open up a lot more terrain. In warmer weather with maybe a 24 or 48 hour window, you are going to start figuring out what you are capable of, and while distance factors in elevation change is probably a bigger factor.

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a little advice that tells you everything and nothing at he same time. It’s easy to overthink the hunt with gear, clothing, bow vs rifle, OTC unit versus draw unit, and where and how to camp. There is no “need” for any of the latest gear or for packing in a million miles from the nearest road. I’ve camped next to road and have shot deer and elk within 1/2 mile of my truck (where I was camped) on public land. My son has no “hunting” specific clothing and shoots a 15 year old bow. If i had to place a bet on who will fill his tag next year, I will take him over a guy who has focused on buying $3000 worth of gear that is packing in a million miles from the road.
its like watching Asians on the ski hill

elkduds

WKR
Watch every hunting video you can find, in which nobody shoots an elk. Because that is the reality for 4 out of 5 hunters.

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
Watch every hunting video you can find, in which nobody shoots an elk. Because that is the reality for 4 out of 5 hunters.

some may frown upon this but the Born and Raised Outdoors 50 day series is awesome, tons of useful info and no they go a couple long stretches without getting an elk

OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
Well i was thinking Colorado first or second rifle. I was interested in Wyoming but Colorado just seems easier for a first time guy

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted many variables to consider but the easy answer is yes you can truck camp and kill elk close to camp. I hunt out of wall tent 90% of the time and will hike 5-15 miles in a given day depending on the steepness and rugged factor. As noted weather is key to how far you want to pack an elk out, with September having the smallest window due to the heat of the day. Consider your own ability and then find elk that fit that criteria. Having helpers and greater fitness will expand your opportunities to hunt farther removed from most. That being said good opportunities can be found in overlooked pockets that may not require as much work. Good luck on the search 7 months🤙

rayporter

WKR
Ross is trying to gently tell you some things.

i have taken a few new guys out west and after taking all summer to get them ready in mind and body, they have all said 'you told me it would be rough- but you never told me it would be this rough'

xziang

WKR
something i always tell new guys -'it aint nothing like TV!'

OR youtube nowadays.. :)

Just go and have fun if you get something sweet if not just enjoy the scenery! Just don't get in over your head and know your limits. One thing with rifle you probably will be later in the year so hopefully is cooler and less chance of meat spoilage.

davsco

WKR
yeah i'm in the same boat. want to do my first elk hunt (DIY) later this year (rifle). starting from pretty much zero. looking at nm and colo. just planning on car/truck camping and still hunting a few miles each day. hopefully that will be enough to let me see a few elk. when i figure out which state/unit, i'll try to look at some maps to narrow down where to start. definitely not looking forward to carving up and schlepping out an elk, but sure it will be worth it.

Was in the same boat last year. Drew a NV elk tag in an area I wasn’t able to scout. Talked to a lot of people about both the area as well as elk hunting in general. Also read a couple of books.

Ended up being lucky to have a friend come along, although he had zero experience as well. We brought enough gear to both have a base camp and pack in for multiple days depending on what was needed.

Learned a ton, we never actually packed in overnight. The terrain allowed us to spot them from multiple canyons over off 4wd trails. Anywhere from 1-3 miles. Once we found a shooter that was accessible we would figure out a plan to hike in for a shot. Lots of time glassing and lots of hiking. Sometimes it was very hard to figure out where you were seeing them once you have moved locations.

Made many mistakes, missed a very nice 370 class bull due to not paying attention to the elevation on my scope. Ended up shooting a nice bull about 2 miles in. That’s when the fun began. It was by far the hardest hunting I have done but also the best trip I have ever been on. Can’t wait to do it again.

In end give yourself options and go try it. Easy to sit around an talk about it, but only one way to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look up Randy Newberg Hunter and watch everything he has on youtube. He is wealth of knowledge. He has his elk talk on youtube and answers sll kinds of questions.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member

Excellent points here. It is tough to avoid the commercialization of hunting and in particularly western big game hunting. Hunting is hunting and if you hunt turkeys or deer you can apply some of the same principles to elk. If I were starting over one of the first things I would do is to put boots on the ground and go watch some elk-off season possibly. Use binoculars to learn what to look for when elk are bedding and when moving. Take a journal and make notes.

As to the distance you need to travel-the elk will dictate that but it can be very beneficial to get away from others-sometime that does not mean farther if just means where other hunters don't go for any number of reasons. If you are going solo I would say you might want to look at a cow elk hunt to start-less meat to haul out and cows are more plentiful but they are still elk.

You could camp or stay at a lodge or hotel to start. A full fledged back country tent camp is not necessary to start and it is not for everyone. I would also think of whether you are going solo or with a partner-this can help determine how far you can haul out your elk meat.

Mainly enjoy yourself and soak it all in.

Swede

WKR
I agree with the comment, "don't over think it". Sure elk often get pushed away from roads, but they still travel around and come out to roads. They are not always miles away. The claim about how hard elk hunting is, seems wrong to me. Most hunters would do better by slowing down and being a lot more patient. I only go to heavily hunted, public land OTC tag units, and still get elk. If it was all that tough, at 70 years old, I should be all washed up. I have, and can still effectively bring home an elk.

Last edited:
OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
thank you for all this advice. the biggest thing im seeing is don't over think it. go out and enjoy the country and maybe you will find some elk.