Idaho OTC Archery Elk

I am planning an OTC archery elk hunt for 2018. Idaho has an amazing database of information for someone who will be primarily e-scouting, and their GIS overlays are a great help as well. I have a unit in mind, but I am still waiting for the 2017 harvest report before I pull the trigger on a specific zone. One thing I am struggling to find is a list of outfitters in a unit. I am looking at some pretty remote area, but I don't want to bivy in for a day to find a wall tent and horses. Does anyone know where to access that information, or is it even a reasonable concern in September? TIA for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
My process takes time, but is effective. Typically, I don’t make my decision based on outfitters in area. Once I have narrowed the Zone/Unit down I then search what Outfitter has a license in that area.

I start with this website.

Search for an Outfitter

Narrow search by species and Unit. Once you click on a link for it will give you the outfitters with licenses and their area. Go visit website and do a little research. Give them a call. See if they have hunters in the season you are going for. I have found many times that the outfitters usually have hunters for other species at the times I am out. Know their names. It will make it easier if and when you run into them.

I always expect outfitters. Most of my run-ins have been favorable and in some cases helpful.

OP
T
My process takes time, but is effective. Typically, I don’t make my decision based on outfitters in area. Once I have narrowed the Zone/Unit down I then search what Outfitter has a license in that area.

I start with this website.

Search for an Outfitter

Narrow search by species and Unit. Once you click on a link for it will give you the outfitters with licenses and their area. Go visit website and do a little research. Give them a call. See if they have hunters in the season you are going for. I have found many times that the outfitters usually have hunters for other species at the times I am out. Know their names. It will make it easier if and when you run into them.

I always expect outfitters. Most of my run-ins have been favorable and in some cases helpful.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice

You can call the Forest Service and they may give you specifics on the camp locations for outfitters in the area. Outfitter websites often give you clues. You can call them also and say I don't want to bother you guys this year can you tell me if you'll be in this area. Some units have more outfitter action than others. The Pioneer Zone gets hit hard with outfitters I would say. Most backcountry type areas have enough country that you can spread out. Mostly, you will want to not worry about it too much. Outfitters up hunter numbers and increase hunter numbers but if you're in an area where outfitters hunt it usually is a pretty good area in my experience. Have some back up areas for this and other reasons.

Feel free to run your plan by me and I can tell you if I think it sounds reasonable. Sometimes it's nice to have a local to chat with.

OP
T
You can call the Forest Service and they may give you specifics on the camp locations for outfitters in the area. Outfitter websites often give you clues. You can call them also and say I don't want to bother you guys this year can you tell me if you'll be in this area. Some units have more outfitter action than others. The Pioneer Zone gets hit hard with outfitters I would say. Most backcountry type areas have enough country that you can spread out. Mostly, you will want to not worry about it too much. Outfitters up hunter numbers and increase hunter numbers but if you're in an area where outfitters hunt it usually is a pretty good area in my experience. Have some back up areas for this and other reasons.

Feel free to run your plan by me and I can tell you if I think it sounds reasonable. Sometimes it's nice to have a local to chat with.

Thanks for the advice, and the offer to help. I will be in touch

Yep last year I called several outfitters around the Lemhi area to discuss possible use of horse if needed and got great info. They are usually good people and will let you know if they are scheduled to be in there and where. If possible try to get in there after them and get a scouting report
:)

GregB

WKR
What unit or area are you looking at. I've hunted the Frank Church for several years and can tell you where I usually see outfitters and give some general info on the area. Shoot me a PM if you want.

He's got another unit in mind from talking to him but, Greg, you see outfitters in the Frank? I haven't but I know where they all generally operate. There aren't any that I know of on the West side except near the ranches along the MF and then up Loon Creek. There's a lot of outfitters but I like that you can get away from them.

Haneydew

FNG
I've also been planning for over a year now for a wilderness, remote camping style hunt. I am heavily leaning on the selway unit though. The salmon is my other choice. Both offer the early season B tag for rifle. Outfitter traffic was a small concern of mine as well, which made me abandon my initial idea of heading out of the paradise campground and hiking up one of the trails leading north off of white cap. I'm planning on a 2019 September hunt, and plan on flying up this August to do a little scouting with my girlfriend. Hopefully I will get a better understanding of some of my other concerns are at that time, but if someone has info on this unit, like road conditions in mid September, and the area I want to check out would require crossing the selway River around the Raven Creek area. Does anyone know if this is possible with waders? The river looks shallow and narrow at this point. I have a good idea on the type of hunt I want and the general area... I'm expecting a very tough hunt, but in some awesome country. We will hunt hard and put in the work to get remote. but any info on things we may overlook are surely welcome!

GregB

WKR
He's got another unit in mind from talking to him but, Greg, you see outfitters in the Frank? I haven't but I know where they all generally operate. There aren't any that I know of on the West side except near the ranches along the MF and then up Loon Creek. There's a lot of outfitters but I like that you can get away from them.

I ran into one coming up by Sleeping Deer this year.

Greg, yeah, there's one that hunts all over SD.

The Salmon rifle tag starts on Oct. 15th or so. IMO, it has many advantages to the wilderness areas.

Haneydew

FNG
I've been mainly looking at the selway for this first hunt based on the hunters per square mile and quality of bulls. I've also heard elk numbers are increasing with more liberal wolf harvest. I will also have a deer tag and their harvest numbers are about equal to those in other zones with very good quality possible as well. But I do agree for a local Hunter that lives in Idaho it makes no sense to drive through 100 miles of great elk country to hunt there. I will be looking at other options after next year for an archery hunt.

OP
T
Thanks for the feedback. Nobody seemed to think what we are planning is completely crazy, now I just have to get the rest of my group to commit to going