Miniature Horses for Pack Animals

Hey, my mom has raised miniature horses for years. I had the thought that they could possibly make good pack animals for elk. Does anyone have any experience or know where I might find more information about this option? Thanks.

Trial153

WKR
They work, not as good as my team of unicorns but ......

seriously I have no idea.

There's an older gentlemen in Western Montana that used miniature horses for packing/hunting just can't remember his name!

Also I don't think I would discount Burros or Donkeys either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The BLM sells the little desert burros. Some of my buddies got some to run along with their mules. They were wild as can be at first, but last I heard they were taming up. Never did hear exactly how they turned out. They're a stout, hardy critter.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
I'm with Ray. I think there would be lots of limitations, i.e. finding saddles, panniers, etc. Also, since they are so short, I think there would be a problem on some trails where they can't clear the sides if the trail is worn into the dirt. Also, if you plan on riding a normal size horse, there would be the issue of their short legs trying to keep up. Just my .02.

It'd be really handy to have a shorter horse for packing, you wouldn't have to lift your game or gear nearly has high to load it. Your pack saddle and tack should also be half off for your purchases.....

OP
Huntingpreacher
I'm not going to be riding a horse is that wouldn't be an issue. They'll be able to navigate the trail I'll be on. If we go off trail that could be a different story. I'll have to look into the tack. I know some of them are stout little dudes, would be way stronger than goats and possibly on par with llamas in terms of load carrying ability.

rayporter

WKR
I am a horse guy but I thing short mules would be better. just a guess.

the little horses are cute but they are not work animals [ like a Shetland pony or mule] they may or may not be able to navigate blacktimber. this is a real plus if you are leading a pack animal. the little mules with hop over a lot of stuff to get to your kill.

probably severely limited to weight- maybe about like a lama? or a goat? foot troubles? the little buggers founder easily.

still I hate to knock the idea-just go in with your eyes open.

I'm gonna say not the best idea. Number one is tack, that's for sure, number two I'm really sure that their weight they can pack is like 50 lbs miniature horses were made for little kids to ride around kind of like a stepping stone from a pony to a horse. Next ur gonna have to pack feed, can't just turn them guys out on green grass founder is huge on them. Farriers are hard to come by that like to shoe them. You get into a spot on the trail with a log down and then ur done.

I also suggest miniature mules they are hardy little buggers, burros from the blm are a tough catch. I've seen pure broke mustangs bolt at the sound of helicopters or dirt bikes etc. it's like taming a wolf pup you catch they still have that wild instinct, not saying they are bad but if you do get a burro from the blm find the youngest one you possibly can.

But not saying you can't do it wth a mini horse, you prolly could. Maybe buy pony Saddles and have custom built saddle panniers built. And if you get this done please send pics I think it would be awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
Being a horse person I have my doubts as well, but I'm sure that was the same thing said when someone brought up pack goats for the first time

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Please forget the ponies. if you want something small, look into goats. They are legit. Just not my style.

GotDraw?

WKR
Had a horrible time with donkeys in CO a few years ago... absolutely horrible. In my hunt area, mini horses would have the same issues.

I lost almost 2 full days due to problems with them.

The trail heading up was very steep with a deeply worn, narrow single track in many areas. Boulders, stumps and willows tight to the single track at times. Donkey/burros were far too short. Their pannier bags made them wide and the fully loaded bags hung up terribly time and again by either catching on the side or dragging bottom. After splitting one pannier wide open and leaving a yard-sale on the trail, I had to take the entire group back down the mountain, leave the smallest burro behind, re-pack and go up the next day (less about 1/2 of our food). Then had to go back down the mountain again a week later to get the rest of our food.

The donkeys were also too short to step over deadfalls/snags on the single track.

I will never use them or any short animal, unless the trail is flat/wide/open. I would consider goats that are very nimble and well trained to navigate backcounty snags and terrain. Maybe llamas.

Give me a good mule, they can step over most anything and can almost carry a donkey or miniature horse.

JL

OP
Huntingpreacher
Had a horrible time with donkeys in CO a few years ago... absolutely horrible. In my hunt area, mini horses would have the same issues.

I lost almost 2 full days due to problems with them.

The trail heading up was very steep with a deeply worn, narrow single track in many areas. Boulders, stumps and willows tight to the single track at times. Donkey/burros were far too short. Their pannier bags made them wide and the fully loaded bags hung up terribly time and again by either catching on the side or dragging bottom. After splitting one pannier wide open and leaving a yard-sale on the trail, I had to take the entire group back down the mountain, leave the smallest burro behind, re-pack and go up the next day (less about 1/2 of our food). Then had to go back down the mountain again a week later to get the rest of our food.

The donkeys were also too short to step over deadfalls/snags on the single track.

I will never use them or any short animal, unless the trail is flat/wide/open. I would consider goats that are very nimble and well trained to navigate backcounty snags and terrain. Maybe llamas.

Give me a good mule, they can step over most anything and can almost carry a donkey or miniature horse.

JL

That sounds miserable! The terrain where I plan to hunt isn't that bad, but I'll definitely take that piece into consideration. Thanks for sharing your experience.

CX5Ranch

WKR
Mini animals are not built for work. I'd buy a small 52 or 53 inch mule. He'll walk right with you and carry more than 3 men with ease.

swampokie

WKR
Mini horses aren't macho enuff for a lot of these guys. I bet most of the doubters drive a big truck and shoot a big gun too! I think it would be a great idea. No need for a trailer either as I could just load em into my little truck!

Minis as pack horses-- I'm not a hunter but I am a rider and I use a mini for a pack horse to go camping. I can imagine how he would get into trouble in the back counrty trails with snags and all. But I use him to pack supplies on camping trips in the national forests, on the dirt and gravel national forest roads, so no problem. He can pack 70 lbs, thats 20% of his weight. He has lounged around all his life and now he has a job. I like this pack saddle. That picture is not him, thats a miniature donkey. My saddle horse is a full size horse. My place is on the Elk River in Oregon and backs up to five adjoining national forests- total- 11,780 square miles.

resized_20161216_113540.jpg