Montana NR elk tags

Does anyone know where to find the statistics for Montana NR general tags and big game combo tags. The only thing I can find is stats for draw units. I'm curious what the allotment of Big Game Combos was and how many they sold. Also, what about general elk tags? How many were sold vs how many they allotted. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
3a63ddc6a05e783423a04e4b3ebdd130.jpg

Good question. I’m curious also. I’ll do some digging
Then found this...
06cfbbf3162ef6d0738cc5a25be115ac.jpg

OP
maninthemaze
Thanks for digging. So is an "elk combo license the same as a big game combo? And was that for Residents or Non-residents?

slick

WKR
Nope not the same but must get pulled from the same quota, meaning they give out 17,000 total NR elk licenses through either one of those. But I do believe there is a cap on the Elk Combo itself. Maybe I’m interpreting it wrong.

Big Game Combo= Elk + Deer and all the other stuff (fishing, etc)
Elk Combo= Elk+fishing,small game, etc.
Deer Combo= Deer+fishing, small game, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
maninthemaze
Gotcha, my brother and I hunted last year with big game combos. This year, I was curious what our odds of getting an elk only license would be. Or if we should get another big game combo. I always thought they had leftovers of the "Big Game", but always sold out of the regular elk licenses. Maybe I've been mistaken. I was just wanting some hard numbers to research.

OP
maninthemaze
Thank You. I have to call the Montana FW&G on Monday anyways. I need a clarification on the bowhunter education requirement.

204guy

WKR
You guys got it backwards. Typically there's been elk combos left after the big game combo is sold out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Big Game Combos had 0 left over last year and roughly 600 applicants that were unsuccessful
Deer License were sold out and about 1500 applicants that were unsuccessful
Elk Combos had approximately 2000 tags left over after the draw process
Bow hunter education isn't a requirement, per say, if you provide a bow hunting license from your home state. Not sure if that has anything to do with your question.

Last edited:
OP
maninthemaze
Thank you all the information. And I guess that sorta answers my question about bow hunting. I live in Kentucky, bow hunting licenses aren't required. Your hunting license allows you to use whatever weapon you want, to some degree. I'll call them and double check. Thanks again

OP
maninthemaze
Just called the Montana game and fish. They said as long as I held a license that allowed me to hunt with a bow, it would qualify. Since Kentucky allows me to archery hunt with my regular hunting license, it qualifies. Also, she said that in 2017 the succes rate for drawing a big game combo was 91%. While the elk combo was 100% success.

Thanks guys. Proving once again that Rokslide is a wealth of information.

swampokie

WKR
Nice youth discount at 510$ a tag also! What Montana lacks in fines for violators they more than make up for with those pesky youth non residents!

Agross

WKR
So my buddy and I are planning to put in tomorrow. He called the Montana fish and game and asked the lady what gave us our best odds of drawing as non residents general tag and she told him the big game combo. I told him I thought the elk combo was 100% last year and the big game combo( elk and deer) was like 90% So he called her back and again she said the big game combo is our best odds. Also is anyone else having problems with Montana f&g website.

crunchy

Lil-Rokslider
I just put in for the combo. Felt like I missed something. Just asked me to put in a payment method.

crunchy

Lil-Rokslider
Combo. Weird right? Only other time is for me is buying an suprlus elk combo.

jmez

WKR
So my buddy and I are planning to put in tomorrow. He called the Montana fish and game and asked the lady what gave us our best odds of drawing as non residents general tag and she told him the big game combo. I told him I thought the elk combo was 100% last year and the big game combo( elk and deer) was like 90% So he called her back and again she said the big game combo is our best odds. Also is anyone else having problems with Montana f&g website.

Better off not to call MT. As is shown above, if you apply for the elk combo you should be a guaranteed draw unless they have a lot more applicants this year.

204guy

WKR
^^^^ yep I often read on here I called or a suggestion to call G&F. It's usually a terrible idea. I've met the ladies that work in a few of the WY offices, they're nice enough but I doubt if most of them hunt, and they certainly don't know the finer points of the regs and draw odds. Heck in the Sheridan office they have a big map of the Bighorns with the elk units drawn on it. I took one look at it and could instantly see they had the boundary off for unit 45.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk