New mexico ranch hunts?

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to hunt elk this time in NM . I want a land owners tag and a chance to look over a few good bulls. If you would, I need as many ranches to research as I can get. I would like to do this 4 under 10k. this fall I hope.

davsco

WKR
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/download/hunting/maps/e-plus/E_PLUS-Landowner-List-2017_2018.pdf

here is the nm list. guess you have to call each of them for pricing. i was thinking of possibly doing a private land but still diy hunt but hate to drop the extra coin with no means of verifying success rates. as of now, just going to do a public land diy elk hunt using nm unit stats to help narrow down where to go/draw. that said, i'd be interested in paying a little extra to get on some private land if i knew my odds of getting a bull were definitely increasing. now, my understanding is that doing a private land hunt does increase your draw statistics, from a 6% pool to a 10% pool.

I hunt the Chama area. The outfitters I use sells out every year, mostly to returning clients. Prices for a Private Ranch hunt goes for around $6500, which includes guaranteed landowner tag (not included is price of NR license). Price usually includes 2 hunters to 1 guide and meals and accomodations at a lodge or similar housing. Most hunts on a private Ranch will give you a chance of a shot at a minimum of a 4X4 or 5X5. To my knowledge, there are no longer any NR Bull tags avail on public land through a draw, and certainly no OTC. I have hunted three different Ranches in the area for 28 years. Mostly 6X6 (about 21 6X6, two 4X4, and a couple 5X5, and two years tag soup). I love the area, and have already paid my deposit for 2018.

Private land hunting is by landowner tag, not draw, and I'm not sure if a landowner will sell the tag only and allow you to hunt on your own. Most tags are purchased by outfitters, and you book the hunt through them. If you are a member of the RMEF, look through the back of the "Bugle" magazine at the "Outfitter's Camp" section. Look under New Mexico, and the outfitters are listed there.

Last edited:
LO tags are indeed different from the 10% outfitter pool. There are RO (ranch only) and UW (unit wide) tags available from land owners. Be careful with ranch only as there may only be elk on that ranch at certain times of year.

OP
S

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I know nothing about New mexico hunting. I have been on the fence for this fall between a kodiak bear or a bigger bull. The warmer dry country sound better after the last 3 alaska hunts that rained everyday { goat and moose] so I got to book soon and need to find a good ranch and any help would be appreciated.
Charles

If you are looking for dry, New Mexico is your place. If 10k is your budget, call Frank Simms at Chama Land and Cattle. It is a beautiful ranch, geared toward quality ($$$). The Lodge cost $4 million, but you should be able to get a 350 bull, no problem. It is fair chase, and I believe about 32,000 acres. A little out of my price range (retired LEO pension). Check out their website.

Last edited:

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
In your budget range, I'd go with the previous poster's rec. Chama Land and Cattle. Incredible place. Owned by Jic Apaches and is in Trust so they can hunt the rut with a rifle. I believe those hunts are sold out a few years. Can't go wrong with any of their Oct hunts either.

Most the higher-end places in Indian country average around 300" on their free range hunts, that goes for Quinlan, Chama Land, etc...

NC_Hunter

FNG
It's towards the upper end of your budget, but V7 Ranch in Raton, NM has been good to my family in the past. They are in Units 55 & 56 and they have A LOT of private land on the ranch. Check out their website and Facebook page. Hope this helps!

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
A 350 bull on Chama's land outside their game parks?

No. Yes, they do kill some bulls in that range but it's not a given. You can call them and get their average free range bull score. I believe they are one of the few that scores almost all their harvests. It's going to be around 300".

Unfortunately due to horrendous public herd management by the state of CO (a lot of Northern NM elk come out of CO) I don't think there is a single place in this state or northern NM (public or private) that averages 350". I doubt there is anywhere that actually gets close if someone actually sat down and measured each bull harvested. The guys that claim they do are the ones that "forget" to score the rag horns they harvest.. Easy to have a high avg score, when you only score your biggest bulls.

Riplip

WKR
If you don't need or want an outfitter you can purchase a unit wide landowner tag from a broker like Hunters Domain. Crazy prices on some of these tags but depending on what hunt method (archery, muzzy or rifle) you can get a great tag for $5,000- $7,500. Many of these units (outside of Chama area) have very good public access and large amounts of public land to hunt. If outfitted is what you prefer you can certainly get it done for under $10k and expect to have a great hunt. Google is your friend, tons of info out there.

wapitibob

WKR
Chamas avg is listed at 285. 350 sounded a bit off.
I guided for Frank back when he had M&B Cattle and then when he and George started USO. Franks family property bordered Chama on the east.

Chamas avg is listed at 285. 350 sounded a bit off.
I guided for Frank back when he had M&B Cattle and then when he and George started USO. Franks family property bordered Chama on the east.
You could be right. They were out of my price range when I made the trip to the lodge back in 2010. I was hunting a Ranch that Frank was managing at the time (The Quinlan), and they brought us up to "The Lodge" to see how the better half lives. I hunted the Quinlan Ranch for 21 years (1990 to 2011), and averaged a 300 6X6 most years, usually shooting on the first day of the hunt. I was spoiled, and really miss that Ranch. Their management has gone downhill, and the prices are now out of sight (or reach for me). Certainly not what it used to be. Things have certainly been downhill in the area since. Not as many Bulls, area ranches being over hunted, and prices have steadily gone up.
My information was dated for sure. Sorry if it was misleading.

Last edited:
OP
S

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
Frank is booked up for 2018. A 300" bull is above any of my expectations. Any info on these ranch hunts? Milligan brand, compass, SOA, ridgeline. I did message World wide trophies , they haven't returned my call yet. Maybe I will have to look outside of New mexico Any other advise would be great. Thanks Charles

Djacker

WKR
Contact John at Oak Valley Outfitters he guides on a ton of land in New Mexico. I hunted with him twice, biggest bull I saw was a 380 class. They have more bulls over 300 than under. Price was Decent

swampokie

WKR
Frank is booked up for 2018. A 300" bull is above any of my expectations. Any info on these ranch hunts? Milligan brand, compass, SOA, ridgeline. I did message World wide trophies , they haven't returned my call yet. Maybe I will have to look outside of New mexico Any other advise would be great. Thanks Charles
If you think 10000$ isn't gona buy you a shot at a 300" bull then maybe you mite want to look into the public draw. I don't really think I would drop 10000 for a hunt that 300 wasn't a real likelihood.

Contact John at Oak Valley Outfitters he guides on a ton of land in New Mexico. I hunted with him twice, biggest bull I saw was a 380 class. They have more bulls over 300 than under. Price was Decent
Sounds good. I checked their website, and can't find anything about pricing. Is it rifle hunting ? What size bulls did you end up with the two times you hunted with them?

Djacker

WKR
I ended up shooting a spike the last evening of my first hunt. Mainly because I wanted to fill my tag. I had 3, 350 or bigger bulls within 75-100 yards, just couldn't close the deal on a big bull. That was my first ever elk hunt. The 2nd hunt i missed twice and wouldnt take a frontal shot on a 340 class at 20 yards. Ive only bow hunted with them. The big elk are there. Now that I've elk hunted a few more times, I know I could kill a great bull out there. If you wanna know more details shoot me a pm.

I ended up shooting a spike the last evening of my first hunt. Mainly because I wanted to fill my tag. I had 3, 350 or bigger bulls within 75-100 yards, just couldn't close the deal on a big bull. That was my first ever elk hunt. The 2nd hunt i missed twice and wouldnt take a frontal shot on a 340 class at 20 yards. Ive only bow hunted with them. The big elk are there. Now that I've elk hunted a few more times, I know I could kill a great bull out there. If you wanna know more details shoot me a pm.

Check your PM

OP
S

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
I booked with BMO will give my report and hopefully photos in late october.