First time elk hunter with unit ?s for Idaho

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to Idaho to hunt elk for the first time. My goal is to shoot one no doubt, perfectly happy with a cow! But just to get into elk and hear the bugles and have an encounter even if unsuccessful would be a dream and big win in my book. I’ve been pouring over data and stuck on the go hunt page filtering hunts so now I have a few questions and would like some opinions on units if anyone is willing to help.

I’m going to try and get unit 33 sawtooth area. Would like anyone’s thought on if there is other over the counter options I should consider, looking at 66 and 76 mainly

I will be putting in for the draw for either 18, 45 or 54.

Any back drop or things I should know would be really helpful. Not looking for honey holes just general unit info.

Note I’m trying to coincide it with a deer hunt.
Just trying to quite donating my money to anti hunting liberal retards in California

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just posted this today on another thread actually. The Sawtooth Zone (33, 34, 35, 36) sells out in minutes, if not seconds. Fish and Game said it will likely become a controlled hunt in 2019. Likely there will be low draw odds there. I recommend going somewhere you can return to regularly because that will increase your odds of success. I don't have any familiarity with the Eastern Idaho units so I can't help there. Good luck.

There's a lot of decent/good archery zones in Idaho though, don't despair.

jdk81

FNG
That's great info, was not aware that sawtooth will likely become a controlled hunt. We are also looking for a place to return to year after year. We share similar goals. Let me know if you find anything and we will do the same! I believe 66 is the unit that they drop nuisance bears? Correct me if I am wrong, one of the units that direction anyway.

TheTone

WKR
I believe 66 is the unit that they drop nuisance bears? Correct me if I am wrong, one of the units that direction anyway.

Nope on the bear part. I'm assuming you mean g-bears?

If you apply (and draw) 18 start getting in shape yesterday

Just to clarify, there is no unit that they "drop" problem bears. It's an often - told wives tale, and often repeated, but not true. Just the logistics and cost associated with helicopter transports would make it not worthwhile. Problem black beats get shot, problem grizzlies get trapped and moved a few times. If the problem with an individual grizzly persists, it gets euthanized as well. I know this from dozens of first-hand experiences.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can scratch 76/66A off your list. Those tags sold out by the middle of December. I have a hunch that zone will probably be heading towards a controlled hunt sooner rather than later with the demand for tags being as high as they are.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unit 76 is a FAVORITE, for out of Staters and quite crowded, I hunted Moose and Deer there 2 years ago and will NOT ever go again !

sneaky

"DADDY"
Unit 76 is a FAVORITE, for out of Staters and quite crowded, I hunted Moose and Deer there 2 years ago and will NOT ever go again !
I hunted over two weeks in Diamond Creek this year and saw 3 people total. Those were all on the same day. It's no more crowded than any other zone, and resident tags for it are almost 2/1 to NR tags.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk