Idaho rifle Elk 2019 ?s

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all newbie here looking for any help you would be willing to give. I understand the common resistance to giving out hard-earned knowledge to people who have not done their fair share of research yet and I fully get that. In addition, I’m not asking for anyone’s honey hole just general guidance. If you’d rather send a PM by all means. Thanks to anyone who keeps reading.

Where I’m starting from.
My hunting partner and me are dead set on an elk hunt for 2019 (time to get in shape, then get in shape more). We’ll be coming out from WI, so limited to no opportunity to actually get out there to scout. We’ve narrowed it down to Idaho, 2019, rifle, OTC, antlered, 7-10days afield. We were thinking September but looks like the only units that fit are mid-late October. I'm a little worried because of the weather and accessibility concerns later in year for a couple green horns. If I'm mistaken about that and a later Oct-Nov hunt is feasible please let us know. We’d like a nice bull (wouldn’t we all) and are trying to find a unit with good odds to “stack the deck” and hopefully at least see something but understand the odds and would be satisfied to just spend time in the beauty of nature gaining experience for our next trip out. We are planning to hike a couple miles in (no horses, no bikes, no atv) and setting a camp to then hike from. We do not want to truck camp hunt. However we have basically no hiking or back country experience as of yet (that’s why 2019 not 2018). So we have a lot of very probably stupid sounding questions I can’t even find others on the internet asking, I’ll get to those lol.

What I’ve found:
Using the IDFG hunt planner for the last couple weeks and going through the data I had triumphantly declared the SAWTOOTH ZONE Units 35/36 was what we were gonna do!!!! WRONG!!! Sawtooth is transitioning to a controlled zone for 2019 according to IDFG. So next I declared UNIT 27 was our target!!!! WRONG AGAIN!!! According to basically everyone The Frank is a beast you don’t challenge your first time out, and it seems the stats are skewed upwards by fly-in hunters (So Middlefork is out). For brevity sake I can tell you I’ve crossed off Panhandle, Selway, Dworshak, Bear River, Sawtooth, Lolo, Palouse zones. If your curious why I can share.

I’m looking at Weiser River, Elk City, McCall, Tex Creek, Palisades in order of least likely to most. But I’ve been seeing a lot about the Salmon Zone with looks like the front runner, I’m looking hard at Unit 21. Again I can go into detail on why but basically its accessibility and proximity to us.

Any feedback if I’m on the right track or missed something big?

Now for the stupid questions. On the interactive IDFG map center, there are lots of different roads/paths, if it’s a “Jeep” path does that mean just general 4x4 truck can use it? Once you get to the end Where are you parking?? Just pick a spot off the road and leave it? What are you doing with your cooler while in the field (theft a concern?)? The word “Drainage”? I’ve looked up definitions, pictures tried to find spots on maps of what people mean when they say “Panther creek drainage” but it’s not making any sense to this Midwesterner. Isn’t the whole length of the creek a “drainage” for the mountains around it? I’m lost lol. I’ll ask someone at IDFG also but if only one of us is going to actually be pulling the trigger does the other need a license if they are just there to observe/help pack out? And carrying a side arm & bear spray or just bear spray? And finally bugs, are mosquitos a thing in ID during an elk hunt? Ticks? lol?

Thanks if you read that whole thing!

I hunted rifle in Idaho last year and had 8-10 inches of snow one day, and none a few days later.
Weather wise, it is going to be hard to predict until you come up with an area you want to hunt.
First elk hunt and first backpacking experience? I wouldn't cross truck camping off of your list completely. A lot of areas in Idaho are STEEP and will beat you up without mercy..especially if you've never hiked/backpacked out west. It would be a real shame/waste of time/money (although it would be a learning experience) to drive all the way out to Idaho, spend your hard earned money on non res tags, and take your new backpacking gear and hike a day in, get snowed/rained on, be soaking wet, and cry for mercy and hike back out to your truck.
A basecamp can allow for a LOT more creature comforts.
Getting an elk out from backpacking into the areas we hunt would be tough with 4 guys, let alone 2.
I do a lot of backpacking in the summer, 40-50 multi day trips..and I can tell you i wouldn't want to backpack into some of the areas we end up hunting, and then have to carry an elk out.
Is this your first elk hunt? Maybe also look for units that have antlerless opportunities as well. That could help increase your odds.
I can't help you with the units you're looking at as I hunt an area you've crossed off your list.
Good luck with your planning, it will be a fun trip regardless.
I hope I didn't come across as negative, I love every minute I'm out there..maybe not always in the moment, but the memories are always great.
Just know, instagram and youtube make it look a LOT easier than it really is.
Enjoy the journey.

Last edited:
Do not let the controlled hunts scare you away. You are going to be purchasing a tag anyways you might want to put in for a unit that is a controlled hunt only just to have the chance to draw and have a lot less hunting pressure with the supposed likelihood of getting on a bigger elk. I have hunted the sawtooth zone three of the last four years and have got a branch antlered bull out each of the three years hunting the area, so you can try putting in for that hunt still, logistically it is an easy area to hunt with its proximity to Boise.

As far as the map center goes it is a great help but take some of the roads with a grain of salt. After the winter Idaho had last year a lot of roads got washed out and have not been repaired or will not be repaired. I have resorted to driving to an area that I can get to easily in 4 wheel and then hike up a ridge from there to get away from the roads and people. I am pretty sure but not positive but the drainage should refer to the length of the creek and both sides of the canyon that drains into the creek. I have never seen a bear while elk hunting, but they are there. If you choose a unit that has grizzlies you should definitely carry at least bear spray. A side arm is not necessary as you will have your rifles, but carry if it helps you feel comfortable.

Be prepared for the steep mountains. Idaho does not necessarily have the highest mountains but they make up for it with steepness. Stairs will become your friend. Work on your lung capacity as well through sprints and running.

These are just my opinions and what I have seen from hunting Idaho. I am sure other people have better advice. Glad to have you coming out here to hunt, you'll have a blast.

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
BlackPowderHunter thank for the input, I realize that right now we are extremely inexperienced and thats why we are waiting till 2019, plan on spending this spring/summer/fall and next spring/summer going out camping, hiking and getting in shape. We want to get in there and set up a "spike" camp I think it what its called and hunt hard away from roads to give us our best chance at an elk. And if we get there and are woe-fully under-prepared well thats a learning experience for next time but we want to set a date and get out there instead of waiting for the "right time" that would honestly probably never happen.

Rojo Grande, to be perfectly honest the controlled hunts have pretty much scared me off. As a first timer coming into elk hunting just trying to figure out OTC, units, e-scouting locations etc etc etc adding navigating a controlled hunt seemed too daunting for a first time. But Sawtooth is without a doubt where I had (and still do) wanted to hunt the most.

What's so appealing about the Sawtooth zone for you?

Regardless, there's very little chance of getting the tag for this year. It sells out in minutes or seconds.

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Idahohikker for me Sawtooth number 1 would have been the scenery, then it seemed more manageable then some other areas terrain wise, and finally the harvest stats seemed more favorable. I know the OTC were not gonna happen, this year looks like the last for OTC and we wouldn't do the hunt justice to try and rush even if we got the tags. I did do a little look into the controlled in Sawtooth national forest but like I said have been scared off seems a little to intimidating to try an figure that out too right now but who knows I do have 1.5yrs to figure it out lol

The Sawtooth area is very popular among non-residents for scenery. My hunting partners and I find many places in Idaho to be just as scenic. It's a gorgeous state, with its mountains. I wouldn't let that affect my decisionmaking as a non-resident too much.

The Sawtooth is, maybe, a little less rugged than the Middle Fork and Gospel Hump and Selway Bitterroot wilderness areas. I've been in there backpacking though and it's rough country. I would recommend using the Caltopo grade shading which maps out the slope for an area (20 degree vs. 30 degree vs. 40 degree slopes). Or, you could use the tool on Google Earth that exaggerates steepness to give you a more true sense of how rough the country is. You're going to need to be pretty careful, almost wherever you go, to find easier country. Staying out of the crazy places is a good idea though.

The other thing I'd add is that backpacking during rifle season is hard without horses. You've got to prepare for potentially really cold or snowy conditions (think heavier clothes and sleeping arrangements) and bringing that on your pack and packing out elk is grueling with all the weight. To be honest, you seem pretty inexperienced and less confident in Idaho backcountry type conditions and it's good to know your limitations and start easy. I'd really think twice about backpack elk hunting on your first hunt. Having a camp near a road with many different options around you to hunt would be ideal. You don't want to go deep somewhere, find no elk, and then not want to pick up stakes and move around. I'd recommend a place with some roads and easier country.

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
To be honest I'm a little surprised with the road camp advice lol almost everything I've read on elk hunting everyone is almost outright screaming to hunt hard and steep. We'll see what we can do getting out to backpack but with Idaho and the areas we are looking at over 24hrs away driving and picking Idaho for one of the cheaper states to hunt in add work/time off and family not sure about getting actual boots on the ground. But I'll for sure be looking at making it happen.

For the residents if an unit has a camp site in it will those roads generally be pretty well maintained or do camp sites get abandoned but still show up on google maps or the Idaho hunt planner map?

To be honest I'm a little surprised with the road camp advice lol almost everything I've read on elk hunting everyone is almost outright screaming to hunt hard and steep. We'll see what we can do getting out to backpack but with Idaho and the areas we are looking at over 24hrs away driving and picking Idaho for one of the cheaper states to hunt in add work/time off and family not sure about getting actual boots on the ground. But I'll for sure be looking at making it happen.

For the residents if an unit has a camp site in it will those roads generally be pretty well maintained or do camp sites get abandoned but still show up on google maps or the Idaho hunt planner map?

The backcountry in these areas can be brutal. That's why you are getting the truck camping advice. What altitude are you at in WI? I've ran into quite a few "flat landers" up there and the altitude and steepness of some of the areas can put them out of commission. If you can swing a backpack trip to one of these areas in 2018 it would be well worth it.

You're not finding much for OTC tags in September because there are very, very few available. Almost all OTC rifle tags will be post rut. I'd recommended learning as much as you can about elk behavior between now and your hunt. Knowing where to look and why to look there can be the difference.

Also, I'd try to kill the first legal elk you see. You will be amazed at how big a mature cow or raghorn is on the ground. Getting an elk out of the backcountry can be the hardest part of the whole ordeal. As blackpowder said, enjoy the journey.

KurtR

WKR
Been to the mcall zone two years in row. We have a group of 4 and have yet to kill an elk. Last year we saw elk and that felt like a damn success. Will be going back again and i will tell you i have shot a 170" whitetail and a spike elk is going to be a bigger trophy to me. How ever steep it looks on google earth it is steeper. How ever bad the blow down looks it is worse. If it says there is a trail there it was probably back in 1975. First year we hunted out of a cabin lots of driving time. Last year we packed in hunted alot more and stayed for 5 nights that was a challenge but a fun one. I have a goal before i am to old to do this and it is to kill a legal elk in the mcall zone of idaho so i will be back. Weather has been snowy some and some rain but never bad enough to keep us from hunting. We are starting to feel comfortable up in the area we have been and really gaining confidence. With all that said go for it and be prepared to be addicted. Even with no success in the kill department those two hunts have been the most enjoyable, funnest , hardest cant wait to get back next year things i have done hunting. If you want pm me and i will help you with the mapping and stuff like that as we have both killed the same amount of elk. haha.

Been to the mcall zone two years in row. We have a group of 4 and have yet to kill an elk. Last year we saw elk and that felt like a damn success. Will be going back again and i will tell you i have shot a 170" whitetail and a spike elk is going to be a bigger trophy to me. How ever steep it looks on google earth it is steeper. How ever bad the blow down looks it is worse. If it says there is a trail there it was probably back in 1975. First year we hunted out of a cabin lots of driving time. Last year we packed in hunted alot more and stayed for 5 nights that was a challenge but a fun one. I have a goal before i am to old to do this and it is to kill a legal elk in the mcall zone of idaho so i will be back. Weather has been snowy some and some rain but never bad enough to keep us from hunting. We are starting to feel comfortable up in the area we have been and really gaining confidence. With all that said go for it and be prepared to be addicted. Even with no success in the kill department those two hunts have been the most enjoyable, funnest , hardest cant wait to get back next year things i have done hunting. If you want pm me and i will help you with the mapping and stuff like that as we have both killed the same amount of elk. haha.

What he said!

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
KurtR thanks I'll definitely been sending you a message. I'm very excited already just to have firmly set a date I can't imagine once I get there and once the hunt is over "successful" or not.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
The backcountry in these areas can be brutal. That's why you are getting the truck camping advice. What altitude are you at in WI? I've ran into quite a few "flat landers" up there and the altitude and steepness of some of the areas can put them out of commission. If you can swing a backpack trip to one of these areas in 2018 it would be well worth it.

You're not finding much for OTC tags in September because there are very, very few available. Almost all OTC rifle tags will be post rut. I'd recommended learning as much as you can about elk behavior between now and your hunt. Knowing where to look and why to look there can be the difference.

Also, I'd try to kill the first legal elk you see. You will be amazed at how big a mature cow or raghorn is on the ground. Getting an elk out of the backcountry can be the hardest part of the whole ordeal. As blackpowder said, enjoy the journey.

I agree with this. I have not done a trip to Idaho, but as a flat lander that has been to Colorado/Arizona quite a few times, I second the difficulty. It will be far different than you can imagine. I used to live in PA and thought we had mountains, that is a joke compared to the west. It takes 3 days just to get acclimated to a fair level and you have to be able to walk/climb miles each day with a pack on your back. Even if you truck camp, your day pack will have some weight in it. Train way harder than you think necessary. I have pretty much decided I cannot stop training during the year, for that one- two weeks a year. Also, I agree with David, kill the first legal Elk you see. Once you have him on the ground life changes and better to get this experience with any Elk. If he is a big one you will be figuring out how to dress to dress a small horse.

Lastly, what I have done several times is fly out and get a rental and go scouting for a couple of days in the summer. I would not drive 24 hours for a scouting trip. Might cost you a few hundred bucks, but it will save you hunting time and aggravation. Things are not the same once you hit the ground and you need to know where you will be able to hunt. I have had places scoped out on google earth etc. then got there and found it was not huntable.

I agree with this. I have not done a trip to Idaho, but as a flat lander that has been to Colorado/Arizona quite a few times, I second the difficulty. It will be far different than you can imagine. I used to live in PA and thought we had mountains, that is a joke compared to the west. It takes 3 days just to get acclimated to a fair level and you have to be able to walk/climb miles each day with a pack on your back. Even if you truck camp, your day pack will have some weight in it. Train way harder than you think necessary. I have pretty much decided I cannot stop training during the year, for that one- two weeks a year. Also, I agree with David, kill the first legal Elk you see. Once you have him on the ground life changes and better to get this experience with any Elk. If he is a big one you will be figuring out how to dress to dress a small horse.

Lastly, what I have done several times is fly out and get a rental and go scouting for a couple of days in the summer. I would not drive 24 hours for a scouting trip. Might cost you a few hundred bucks, but it will save you hunting time and aggravation. Things are not the same once you hit the ground and you need to know where you will be able to hunt. I have had places scoped out on google earth etc. then got there and found it was not huntable.

That's some good advice on flying out for a scouting trip.

GregB

WKR
Like most everyone else has mentioned plan on truck camping and if you are dead set on backpacking in plan a short 1 or 2 day trip and watch the weather. You can still hunt hard and steep you just have to get up a little earlier. This year there was over a foot in higher elevations in mid-late September, and I spent almost a day digging my truck out from a snow drift in mid October. Bring some recovery gear for your rig. It could be freezing and snowing sideways, 70 and sunny or both. Get an Inreach or something to call for help, I take one everywhere I go. Roads to pay campsites are usually maintained in the summer but they don't get plowed or anything. Roads to primitive sites are not maintained and might be washed out. Also if you are coming during rifle season it wold be a good idea to get snow chains. Once you do your first trip you will learn a lot and have a better idea of what to expect.

GregB, I got an e-mail saying you tried to send me a PM but my inbox was full. Sorry! Can you try it again?

I love that you're all focused on snow after this year from hell. I didn't even have chains, bout to change that. From reading prior threads here and on other sites, it seems like there's some snow in the Sawtooths/Frank/Central Idaho high country in September about every 5-6 years. It's high country so it comes early.

KurtR

WKR
After our first year there chains were one of the first things we got. Glad we had them this year. Also glad i had the stove for the cimaron one morning was 12 degrees when we woke up.

Gt8MfnK.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

B89ENBP.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Haneydew

FNG
This sounds like the exact hunt I've been planning for over a year now. Was hoping to go this year but hurricane Harvey killed that. I'm coming from southeast Texas and I love the idea of a Scouting trip this summer because it is exactly what I've been planning to do. Airline tickets for me and my girlfriend is 1200 round trip. Car rental (SUV hopefully an AWD rouge or similar) is 225 for 5 days. I'm going to look at an area in the selway zone first and possibly the middle fork and salmon. But I'm heavily leaning on a mid September opening week combo elk/deer (wolf, black bear, mountain lion) hunt in the selway. I feel like keeping my options open for multi species will enable us to have a great trip even if we don't get to see or harvest an elk. I'm curious to why you crossed out the units you mentioned?

530Chukar

WKR
It sounds like you're planning on hunting 2019 because you guys want to get in better shape and get more experience? Why not make it this year? Head back and grab an OTC tag for one of the areas you mentioned and truck camp. That way you guys can hike in as far as you're willing and get the experience you need for a backpack hunt rather than stay home another year? I think that just by doing this and possibly spiking out from your truck camp you'll have the backpacking experience you need. Backpacking isn't rocket science. If you've tent camped before it isn't much different other than the planning of the logistics.