New Mexico Archery elk DIY backpack hunt

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
Guys, been doing some research in New Mexico. Trying to find a unit for a DIY and mainly a backpack hunt. If water is available willing to go 7-10 miles deep if only possible to get all the meat out! The main reason why I’m hunting, but also am In search of mature bulls! Any advice, experience would be appreciated as I m just researching! Thank you to all you elk killers out there!

I hunted a unit last year that is known for being set up well for backpack hunting. In my opinion New Mexico sets up much better for day hunting from the truck.

I killed my bull 4.5 miles from camp at 8:00am. Just get up a little earlier and hike a little more and you can cover ground.

e06130719286ce6e164c63b3f8749598.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting! How’s the local hunting pressure and other bow hunters? Elk #’s good too? Sounds like an awesome hunt! Congrats on a stellar bull my friend!

OP
S

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t as I’m more interested in the west central units. My thoughts are those units closer to Colorado will get more pressure, atleast what a friend of mine said! Looking at the Gila and surrounding units!

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm under the impression of the Gila Units, 16B (includes 22), offers a tremendous pack-in backpack hunting opportunity although you can have great backpack hunts in units (16A, 16D and 17). Biggest problem is drawing a tag. You're probably looking at very best 10% draw odds for 1st season archery and much lower for 2nd season archery. I do believe a big bull can come from about anywhere in NM, sometimes it takes a little outside the box thinking and planning. You have some time yet. Application deadline isn't until like that third week of March. Best of luck!!!

The hunting pressure will be relatively the same whether you're in a northern unit or southern unit. It's a complete draw system so Colorado doesn't really have an effect on NM's elk. If anything I would think some of the CO elk get pushed south out of there once the tide of OTC hunters come. You hardly hear of big bulls coming from Northern NM, although it's possible, but a 400 inch bull can be produced from any of the southern units on any given year.

Most New Mexicans love their road hunting. If you're able to get a couple miles from the road you'll get into the elk. If you truly want a backpack hunt I'd look at any of the southern units that contain wilderness areas, and be prepared to filter your water from a dirt cattle tank, there are times where that's the only water around.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Can't predict the water situation. 16B has had torrential rains in some years (2013) so the canyons all had streams flowing. Other years those same canyons had a pool the size of my hat as the only non-stock tank water. There are parts of that unit that the nearest trailheads aren't even at the unit boundary, so you're forced to walk in at least a mile. backpack hunting is almost your only option there.

Trial153

WKR
I'm under the impression of the Gila Units, 16B (includes 22), offers a tremendous pack-in backpack hunting opportunity although you can have great backpack hunts in units (16A, 16D and 17). Biggest problem is drawing a tag. You're probably looking at very best 10% draw odds for 1st season archery and much lower for 2nd season archery. I do believe a big bull can come from about anywhere in NM, sometimes it takes a little outside the box thinking and planning. You have some time yet. Application deadline isn't until like that third week of March. Best of luck!!!

Second this....great country to pack into.

Thomas11

WKR
I hunted a unit last year that is known for being set up well for backpack hunting. In my opinion New Mexico sets up much better for day hunting from the truck.

I killed my bull 4.5 miles from camp at 8:00am. Just get up a little earlier and hike a little more and you can cover ground.

Great bull! Think I can guess this unit but I won’t say on here!

Riplip

WKR
As mentioned above drawing the tag for any unit in NM is the hard part. 16B is a great unit, all wilderness and tons of elk. Hunted it a few years ago and they had so much rain we couldn't get out for a few days (even on horses). One issue there and any other unit is that if you shoot a bull 7-8 miles in backpacking by yourself you will have a very hard time getting the meat out before it spoils. You might consider hiring an outfitter/packer to drop you and include packing services if you get a bull down. We went in 13 miles on horses and still ran into other hunters one day. Hopefully I get the chance to go back some day. Good luck.

OP
S

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
Some awesome information here. You guys were right when saying the Gila Units. My buddy also said the same about getting the meat out before it spoils, that to me is a deal breaker as that’s why I’m after elk is mainly to provide for the family! I’ll continue my research and decide what seems to be the best option for me. The way it sounds maybe hunting from the truck and getting in off road in the mornings might be the ticket for me as the meat spoilage shouldn’t be an issue then!

OP
S

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider

We’re the bulls vocal during the day and night, just curious if locating them from bugles was easy?

We’re the bulls vocal during the day and night, just curious if locating them from bugles was easy?

They would bugle the first 15 min of daylight and then shut up. The rut kicked in hard the day I killed my bull. I had 6 bulls within 300 yards of me all going nuts.

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
There are definitely some decent options that are easier to draw than the gila. I like to hunt elk every year so the gila isnt really high on my list. Ive found good bulls in a couple units that you wouldnt expect. All I can say at this point is that even the mid level units in NM seem to be better than OTC units Ive hunted in CO.

Use the state statistics and toprut to go through every unit individually and you should be able to narrow it down to a few.