Hey, you guys playing cards?

JoeBada

FNG
Sorry, just had to re-watch Animal House on this rainy Sunday morning here in New Hampshire after watching the Doug Kenney movie on Netflix... still the best introduction of all time...

A bit about me: I'm a generalist when it comes to hunting here in NH - black bear first week of Sept, wood ducks, mallards and upland birds with my filed lab during Oct, (and archery whitetail if we get a good cold front) and of course the whitetail rut in November with bow & gun. Chase and kill a few snowshoe hare during the winter, but it's more taking the dog & shotgun for a hike than anything else.

Anyway, wanted to come on here and introduce myself because I need help inserting archery elk into my mid-Sept plans. I've gone twice now, once about 10 years ago in Durango CO, and this past season in Breckenridge, CO. Was in slightly better shape the first time, but a lot more knowledgeable (thanks to Corey Jacobson elk 101) this time around. In both cases I hunted with a friends who lived in the unit and were able to provide some logistical support, though we were unable in each instance to get close to the herd. In Durango we hunted very hard (never saw camp during daylight) but the herd bulls were 15 miles in according to some guys we met on horseback. In Breck the herd bulls had worked the cows into some back bowls about 7-8 miles in, but we would never have been able to pack a bull out of there in a reasonable amount of time, or without killing ourselves.

So what I came on here to ask is, how do you fellow out of state DIY'ers feel about hiring packers to get you into the back-country and help you pack your meat and gear out?

For me, elk hunting is just as much about getting away from civilization and into the vastness of the West as it is about filling the tag, and even though we hiked all day in CO unit 37 to camp on top of the mountain, we could still see all the lights of the various towns below us and hear the faint sounds of wedding music on that cool clear night. Just not the kind of experience I am after...

My problem is, I have no idea how to find a good packer, or outfitter willing to offer non-guided drop hunts? Any guidance you could offer in terms of: avg cost, max your pack should weigh, what questions to ask them or even actual recommendations is greatly appreciated. I'm pretty much open to archery elk hunting in any state in the west, but would probably prefer staying out of the desert, as I'm planning a January coues deer hunt in Arizona this yer as well.

Thanks again,
Joe

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t say I know of any in Colorado but I do remember being on a website for a company out of Utah that did drop camps and meat haul out. It was still too steep for me for my first year.

I do also remember hearing some guys on a podcast with Randy Newberg who rented out llamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
Rivers Bend Outfitters in Meeker, CO was great for my family and me this fall. We did a fully guided hunt, but he also runs drop hunts out of several different camps throughout the Flat Tops Wilderness area. Definitely plenty of elk in the area (GMU 24). $1800 is the going rate for drop camps and that will get you packed in on horseback, local area orientation and advice, and they'll pack your elk out and check on your throughout the week. If you get one on the ground early enough, they'll even take the elk to the processors and it'll be flash frozen and packaged for you when you get down off of the mountain. As for pack weight, the $1800 covers two big military style duffel bags and two apple boxes worth of food. For a small fee they'll bring an extra horse if you over pack. We went up 4th season and most of us had at least two pairs of boots and way too many clothes, so you should be fine in archery season. River's Bend Outfitting | Hunting and Camping Guides | Colorado's Premier Outfitting for Elk, Deer, Bear, Moose

Last edited:

Bulldawg

WKR
It really varies on the Outfitter and what you are looking to get out of your hunt, typically the limit is 100 pounds of gear per person or per horse, and cost will go up if there is a need for more stuff or they will tell you that you have to decide what you want to leave haha.

I sent you a PM

OP
J

JoeBada

FNG
thanks for the response. 100# is more than enough and more than I thought, my pack only weighed around 60# this past season. Would be nice though to bring a little better food and not have to eat mtn house every meal.

OP
J

JoeBada

FNG
Great thank you very much for the rec. I'll check them out and drop them a line.

Last edited:
OP
J

JoeBada

FNG
Can’t say I know of any in Colorado but I do remember being on a website for a company out of Utah that did drop camps and meat haul out. It was still too steep for me for my first year.

I do also remember hearing some guys on a podcast with Randy Newberg who rented out llamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for your response. Yea, I think I heard that same podcast. I also heard a guy on meat eater podcast the other day say he hired a packer to pack him and his buddy 15 miles in on a high country WA public land muley hunt for $800. Not sure if that was total or per person, but even per person is a good deal in my mind. Included a wall tent with cots ready for bed roll and fire wood too.