Help with Montana

Agross

WKR
Ok guys I have a lot of questions but I have been trying to find most of the answers without asking. A buddy and I are going on our first elk hunt (assuming we draw) in southern central Montana. My buddy has a friend that lives and hunts out there. He will be helping us. We would really like to do a bow hunt but our first time around we are gonna do a rifle hunt to hopefully up our odds a little and just do some learning.
I have a few questions about licenses. Would we be better off applying as a group or solo, or doesn't it matter? Should we just put in for an elk combo or is it worth it to pay a little extra and go for the big game combo? I know nobody can predict the future but is it realistic to get a chance at an elk and a deer? Do we pay for the license up front and then get refunded if we don't draw ? Also does the deer combo include whitetail or muley?

While I’m not familiar with the non resident procedure what i can tell you is if your planning on going with a couple friends, your better off applying as a group that way if you all draw then everyone can hunt. Not sure where your planning on hunting specifically but might be worth a deer tag as well. If your willing to hunt hard and learn what it takes to be an efficient hunter you should have a good chance at both species.

Again i can’t quote how the non resident system works because i am a Montana resident but i believe you pay for all your license fees up front then your refunded if you don’t draw the elk or big gam combination. For the deer tag specifically that includes a whitetail OR a muley but not both. Depending on the district you plan on hunting, you may have to draw for a mule deer tag (or an elk tag as well) so double check the regs and make sure the area you plan on hunting is a general tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CC

FNG
I would definitely apply as a group as well. The combo's did sell out last year so you will want to be in the draw before March 15th. If hunting in Central Montana I would want to have a deer tag as well, not much more and if you were to buy it separate, I believe its over $500. You will have a much harder time getting a Elk tag there. You may have to look at hunting Elk in one area and deer in another. Also don't count your bow out. I have been hunting out here for 3 years, 2 Bulls with a bow 0 with a rifle. ... I haven't hunted as long with the rifle though due to getting a elk in archery season.

OP
A

Agross

WKR
Thanks for the replies . We will put in as a group and we are putting in ,in the next couple weeks. I'm not sure of the exact area and how specific I'm supposed to be on this forum , I just know it's in the Nye area that's about all he told us.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely get a deer tag if you're going to be on the beartooth front around Nye.