Arizona Moisture?

Brado16

WKR
Has the lack of AZ moisture changed your application strategy for this year? Im still on the fence about my application strategy for AZ, anyone else in the same boat? One more night to sleep on it...

Extrapale

WKR
We applied. Hopefully it rains for the next 3 months straight. I hear its raining today in Flagstaff.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

swampokie

WKR
Probly better hold off if going in with a good number of points. Gona be a dry one I have a feeling. Maybe boost my odds a fraction too!!

It’s Arizona and lack of moisture will still produce some 380+ bulls. I applied like always. Hoping that lots don’t because of the drought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
If I were a non resident with 15+ points I might go bonus point only. As a resident if I luck into the early archery tag I applied for with 4 points, the possibility of slightly smaller antler growth this year won’t bother me much.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see a wetter March, then if a nice monsoon follows it we’ll be in good shape.

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Having only one bonus point I put in for a late season cow tag for my last choice, not sure if I'll get it, but a December hunt would align perfect with my schedule

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Also what the heck, they give you results 2 days after the new Mexico results are due! That really throws a brick into how I wanna plan my year! Lol

OP
Brado16

Brado16

WKR
Also what the heck, they give you results 2 days after the new Mexico results are due! That really throws a brick into how I wanna plan my year! Lol

I agree! Same with MT I beleive. I applied this morning but was unable to figure out the pointguard- figure it could come in handy this year but was not able to purchase it in the AZ Portal- been on hold for 50 mins trying to get ahold of someone who can help.

swampokie

WKR
I have a feeling we will start seeing credit cards being hit on march 2. Well before the nm deadline. They moved up credit card update to march 1 so yall may just be in luck

DEHusker

WKR
I hunted early archery AZ last year in a banner moisture year. I asked a lot of very seasoned guys who hunt AZ a lot (some guides) and all of them swore to me that moisture does not matter for antler LENGTH....it does matter for mass, but they all swore up and down that length is genetic and mass is moisture/feed related. Unless they are eating boot leather, it is hard to believe it will be all that much different in a drought year vs a wet year. If you go back to the record books in AZ during the latest drought run ( 2000's and early 2010's) there are still tons of book bulls pulled out of AZ even in those years. I would never not apply to AZ based solely on moisture. There are so many factors to consider when hunting. I found out the hard way that even in high moisture years in a state known for big bulls, they are still tough to find and kill. I tagged a gorgeous mature 6x7 but it took 9 days of hard hunting in a premium unit. Bugling, other hunters, weather, wind, terrain, etc all need to be conquered even in a bull mecca like AZ. It is true what they say that "they are not hiding behind every tree...." LOL. They also told me that antler breakage is an issue only in dry years and in "dry" units. Length is still good but the antlers are more brittle in a drought year. Again, the mass is less. Whatever happens if you draw an AZ tag, prepare for some awesome hunting. I'll never forget my 2 weeks there. I'm applying late archery this year so I can get back as soon as possible!

Thomas11

WKR

For what it’s worth, u can actually withdraw your NM application if you find out u drew AZ without forfeiting your tag fee. Anytime after u apply in NM, as long as it’s before the actual draw results u can cancel that application and your card will be credited back

I have a feeling we will start seeing credit cards being hit on march 2. Well before the nm deadline. They moved up credit card update to march 1 so yall may just be in luck

When is this changing? The Regs still say March 15th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rmdykeman

FNG
Drought or not, I'd want a AZ bull tag in my pocket.

Best of luck to everyone that applied!!!

To those that didn't, it's been raining for 3days😜