Pack elk out bone in or out?

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
Im curious as to why yo u would want to pack a elk out bone in vs bone out seems you would loose a tone of weigbt bone out. But maybe im wrong.

I always pack bone out to save weight. I have listened to a podcast a guy was talking about bone broth. I dont do make that and would rather not pack that weight out.

davsco

WKR
haven't hunted elk yet, planning first time this fall, but my understanding is that bone in gives a little structural strength/rigidity vs a bunch of loose meat just flopping all over the place in/on your pack. will follow this thread for more info and ideas.

cnelk

WKR
I dont 'go deep' so I mostly de-bone back at camp or at home, but have do it both ways

I killed this cow opening evening archery last year and when I deboned the 4 quarters the bones weighed 22lbs - approx 5 lb/quarter

Personal decision to stay in the woods and debone or do it back at camp/home.
How far of pack, time of day and weather dictate what I do

SuWWMQf.jpg

XrBgpEk.jpg

muddydogs

WKR
I have been weighing leg bones the last few years, the smaller 6 point bull I shot two years ago had an average weight of 8 pounds of bone per quarter so it's not like leaving the bone in is a huge amount of weight. I'm only packing one hind quarter at a time so for me it's not worth taking the time to bone the quarter or having to fight a big ball of boned meat instead of an easy hanging quarter. As for the front quarters I can generally carry both at once with bone in so here again its not worth the time, if I'm not in to deep I have been know to pack a front and hind quarter on smaller elk.

I bone out also to save weight. Being female every ounce of weight matters to me since i can’t pack as much compared to a guy. Personally a large front elk quarter is perfect amount of weight for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
I always get the meat off the bone during archery season due to heat and meat spoilage,also to eliminate the extra weight.

Texarican

FNG
This is something I’ve been needing to look up. Are there states that make you keep it bone in? In Texas for example we can’t process a deer further than quartering until it reaches its final destination, either your home of the processor. I need to find out how that applies to meat coming in from a Colorado hunt as well.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I've always deboned mine, saves a little weight and but mostly cooler space. I cut and bag my own meat so it's easier to fit a deboned elk in a couple coolers and leave them for a couple days until I can get it in the freezer.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ve been using he same processor for years. He dry ages for me so he needs bone in for hanging. It’s worth it having tasted the same animal with and without the aging. Truthfully I’d probably leave the bone in if I were butchering myself. Just doesn’t seem worth the time spent in the dirt at the kill sight vs in a clean place. Age may change my opinion ;)

ckleeves

WKR
I prefer leaving hind quarters bone in as long as the pack isn’t to far and the temps will allow it. You really only lose about 8lbs from deboning a hind and you generally end up with higher quality cuts when you can leave it on the bone. Plus they are easier to pack and hang. Fronts I almost always debone, I’m just going to grind it when I get home anyway.

Im curious as to why yo u would want to pack a elk out bone in vs bone out seems you would loose a tone of weigbt bone out. But maybe im wrong.

We like bone in for:

1. Meat has a chance to go through rigormortis correctly with muscles stretched

2. Cleaner meat and less waste when processing

3. Easier to hang and cool

Sure you have a weight penalty but I will sacrifice for better food on the table!

For me it depends on the situation. Backpack hunting I almost always de-bone the front quarter and leave the hind bone in. With a buddy, that is two trips to the truck. First is hind quarter bone in and the second is the front quarter de-boned with camp. For truck camping situations I leave the bone in. I pack out hinds with bone in and fronts bone in with back-straps/tenderloins/antlers. That is what I typically do.

cnelk

WKR
More than a few times we have killed a couple elk at the same time during archery season.
Thats a lot of meat to be deboning in the middle of the woods

Much rather do it at camp. Plus what else you got to do? Youre done! :)

CLfxi12.jpg

B78WKEg.jpg

OyPXgZD.jpg

MTSabo

WKR
Bone out meat is harder to cool and keep from spoiling. It is lighter though.

4ester

WKR
Really for me it depends on how far or difficult it is from the truck. I prefer to leave it on the bone if it’s possible as it reduces trimming and waste after aging.

Felix40

WKR
I hate the idea of packing an extra 25 pounds. Deboned meat seems to fit in a pack better too. If your game bags are the right size you can get exactly the amount of meat you can carry in one trip and/or split it up more evenly between guys. I feel like two guys can get an elk out in one trip if you debone but that extra few pounds can be the tipping point for more than two loads. Makes it easy to just pour all that meat in a cooler when you get to the truck too.

rayporter

WKR
the question was asked above about state requirements.

if bringing meat from a cwd state into Arkansas you can not bring the bones. heads must be boiled clean.

wyodan

WKR
I leave the bone in. I like the rigidity the bone provides in the quarter. I also feel like less meat is wasted. It seems like anything that is exposed to air needs that much extra trimmed off.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
The real question is what size cooler do you need to get a bone in elk in and still have some room left for ice.