Montana Early Elk 316

SwampBone

FNG
I’m thinking of spending some money and going on an outfitted hunt. I’m a flatlander with zero Elk hunting experience. Has anyone went this route just to hopefully get one and gain knowledge. I have most of the gear to do it on my own but none of the real life experience.

There's plenty of info here and elsewhere (look at Randy Newberg, the ElkNut, and Elk 101) to get you ready to go. Going guided isn't a bad idea but I preferred and still prefer the DIY experience and satisfaction.

OP
SwampBone

SwampBone

FNG
Thanks for the response, and the info! I’m probably overthinking it and agree with you as far as doing on my own instead of spending 5000 and maybe striking out. Thanks!

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
If you decide to go with out an outfitter or a friend that has experience, make sure you line up a packer to help with getting anything you kill out. It's very doable with some planning and prep.

Will_m

WKR
Not to hijack but this may be helpful to you anyway --

Anybody know what the weather is like early season, like first week, as far as temps?

What about bugling activity? I know in some high country units in CO they start bugling first or second week pretty consistently.

Not to hijack but this may be helpful to you anyway --

Anybody know what the weather is like early season, like first week, as far as temps?

What about bugling activity? I know in some high country units in CO they start bugling first or second week pretty consistently.

Early archery you can see temps as high as 80 degrees or so, and you can also see 25 degrees and blinding blizzards like this last season during the 2nd week of the season. Got a foot of snow in the high country and shut all bugling activity down for several days.

Bugling i think depends on the year, sometimes there bugling consistently during the first week and other times you won’t hear a peep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I’m thinking of spending some money and going on an outfitted hunt. I’m a flatlander with zero Elk hunting experience. Has anyone went this route just to hopefully get one and gain knowledge. I have most of the gear to do it on my own but none of the real life experience.
Going guided your 1st time out is not a bad strategy at all. It will significantly cut down on the learning curve and greatly increase your enjoyment during the hunt.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
An outfitted hunt has its advantages and if money no object is a good route to go for a first timer otherwise with resources available today , planning and training you can do 3-5 hunts on that same amount of coin.

OP
SwampBone

SwampBone

FNG
Thanks for the tips and info guys! I've done other out of state hunts on my own, but Elk in the mountains seems like a big challenge. This outfitter only had one opening and it was the first week of the season. I'm still undecided but I think I'll stick to Antelope and Deer this year and do more research and planning for a hunt on my own next year.