Pack question

bmart2622

WKR
Yeah, I didnt mean to imply that packing 60lbs is a huge feat, more so that you see some pretty inflated numbers thrown around on the ole inner web

Yeah, I didnt mean to imply that packing 60lbs is a huge feat, more so that you see some pretty inflated numbers thrown around on the ole inner web

I agree completely. A new hunter reading the web would think you need to spend $1000 on a pack, $500 on boots, and another $200 on cloths to elk hunt. I have bought all of that over the years but you can certainly hunt without it. I love my Kifaru, Kennetrak boots, my Sitka cloths, and my mountain rifle and would recommend it all to anybody, but to the guy just starting out I say get what you can afford and hunt.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Agreed but at the same time I see some folks go the opposite direction and down play things. If 60lb is uncomfortable you should fix that situation if regularly elk hunting (fitness and/or pack depending on what the problem is). If you can reasonably move IN TERRAIN with 70-80lb you're in good shape. The average joe doesn't need to pull off 100+lb even though some folks do (and some "think" they do ;) ). A luggage scale at the truck is a good calibration test versus guestimates.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
another $200 on cloths to elk hunt. .

Only $200? Did you forget a zero? ;)

Its like above, run what you got start out improving boots, optics, and proficiency with weapon system. Those and developing hunting skill will count the most towards success. Comfortable packs/clothes/etc. just help improve the experience by keeping you more comfortable which keeps up morale better. Not a requirement and you can build into those things.

Only $200? Did you forget a zero? ;)

Its like above, run what you got start out improving boots, optics, and proficiency with weapon system. Those and developing hunting skill will count the most towards success. Comfortable packs/clothes/etc. just help improve the experience by keeping you more comfortable which keeps up morale better. Not a requirement and you can build into those things.

Good catch. I certainly did forget a zero

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Game bags, get something that keeps the meat from balling up such as tag bags, caribou bags, Allen makes some for the budget minded. I didn’t have any when packing out 80 pounds in my kelty coyote pack, but at home with the Allen bags I recreated the load which made a huge difference. I would still be using that bag if I didn’t get a healthy unexpected bonus from work to buy a stone glacier.

xziang

WKR
I would check and keep an eye on CL and search for framed packs and leave that in the truck if you drop something. Also keep your eye out for something used, even cabela's has some sales on their framed Alaskan packs. I picked one up this way and now use it for training most of the time.

If people can come across the border with a 50lb pack made from burlap I'm sure what you have could work in a pinch. :)

Btaylor

WKR
I am new to this to this year will be third trip and the first to back pack in. I made the decision that a high end pack would be a down the line purchase. Too much other important Gear needed like a good sleeping bag and pad, shelter, clothes upgrades and additions. I got a Molle II on eBay for less than $60 and while it is not that nice it will do what I need it to do, carry my crap up and bring everything back down including a critter if I kill one. Bottom line is I live a couple hundred feet above sea level and where I intend to set up camp is between 10-10500'. There is a fairly high level of suck that must be embraced just to get there so the high end pack can wait. Besides until I have a better pack there is no frame of reference for the added suck. I am sure once I upgrade I would not choose to go back to a crappy pack just like I would not choose to go back to a truck with no A/C.

I am new to this to this year will be third trip and the first to back pack in. I made the decision that a high end pack would be a down the line purchase. Too much other important Gear needed like a good sleeping bag and pad, shelter, clothes upgrades and additions. I got a Molle II on eBay for less than $60 and while it is not that nice it will do what I need it to do, carry my crap up and bring everything back down including a critter if I kill one. Bottom line is I live a couple hundred feet above sea level and where I intend to set up camp is between 10-10500'. There is a fairly high level of suck that must be embraced just to get there so the high end pack can wait. Besides until I have a better pack there is no frame of reference for the added suck. I am sure once I upgrade I would not choose to go back to a crappy pack just like I would not choose to go back to a truck with no A/C.

Have fun on your hunt and good luck. Sounds like you have your head ready.

I am new to this to this year will be third trip and the first to back pack in. I made the decision that a high end pack would be a down the line purchase.

Just don't make the same mistake I and many of us did. If you have to put up with the MOLLE for another year and get a top of the line pack. I wasn't sure if I wanted to drop Kifaru type money on a pack and wasted a bunch buying a Kuiu instead. That thing gave me glimpses of what a high end pack might provide, but could be properly adjusted for me (too tall and broad shoulders) and caused some major shoulder pain. I rocked a Alpenlite frame pack and a USGI 3-day assault pack forever and I just wish someone woulda told me to put up with it a touch longer and buy once cry once.

Last edited:
I did my first elk hunt last fall. I also was trying to minimize expenses. I bought a alps frame and attached a dry bag with my food, an internal frame daypack, sleeping bag, and hammock. I was loaded for 6 days of hunting. Worked pretty good, we hiked in about 2 miles. I left my frame in camp and if I killed something my daypack had straps to get a quarter back to camp where I could switch to the frame. Guessing I was somewhere around 60-70 lbs going in with 1.5 gal of water too. Definitely doable with that frame but I can see where a better frame could be more comfortable.

if you have a good 6000 " pack that fits you I would use it for a year maybe two.Get some real experience under your belt than you will have a better Idea what is best for you