Pack question

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
First post on this site as I'm beginning to plan for my first elk hunt in September.

I'm pretty budget conscious on this trip and would like to use as much of the gear I currently own but also realize the limitations of what I have. I keep seeing people suggest your pack is one of the things to not skimp on, but it's just not realistic for me to spend $500 on a high end pack (though I would consider something used at the right price).

I currently have an old Jansport Rockies internal frame pack. It's 6000ci and still in good shape, but I really doubt its weight limit for packing out meat. To save money but still get the job done, I'm considering buying a frame like the Alps Outdoorz Commander or Eberlestock Mainframe that I can either lash a large duffel/dry bag or my pack to (after removing stays and suspension).

Does anyone else run a system like this?

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Make sure they have enough frame height to make the load lifters worthwhile. Throw 70-80lb into your jansport to see how it does. As long as the frame sag isn't too uncomfortable you could consider using it right now while you save up. If you tag an elk (which doesn't pan out for first time hunters all the time) and haul it you'll get a lesson in appreciating a good pack and feel better about spending the money. ;)

Bulldawg

WKR
I have put a lot of thought into this lately and how much money myself and others have spent on hunting gear and how much money is walking around the mountains with me, my buddies and I always joke that if somebody wants to steal my truck they can have it just leave my hunting pack behind, it's worth way more.

I've thought about it a lot because I get asked a lot what gear they need to go on their first elk hunt, and I used to say well you need to get the best you can afford of everything cause that's what it takes to get an elk. Which obviously just isn't true, it's very different for me, who will spend 75-100 days a year hunting comparing to someone that will be hunting for 7 days, and maybe that could be their one and only elk hunt.

I never recommend guys going on their first elk hunt to go on a backpack hunt either, unless you do serious backpacking throughout the rest of the year it is just way too much to try and get logistically figured out. Backpack hunting is fun no doubt, but it's not for everyone and it's not something that you should have to worry about when you are going on your first elk hunt, I would just go camp and go hunt from there daily, that is how most elk are going to be killed anyways every year.

I could sell you on why an $800 rig from Kifaru is the way to go, but in reality, now a days I honestly think that a pack from Cabela's that cost around $100 will do you just fine! I bet you could find a used badlands 2200 and it would work great for you, has some support to help carry better, has a warranty, and believe it or not you can pack meat out on it, I can't tell you how many elk I packed out on mine.

I also don't believe what some folks say when they say their pack is one of the most important items that they won't skimp on, although I have a very nice pack, I could get by with much cheaper pack before I downgraded other pieces of my gear.

ScottinPA

WKR
I concur with the above. I you find you need a pack there was a Kelty Cache Hauler with bag on ArcheryTalk a few weeks ago. Also the SJK Bounty pack is another option.

cnelk

WKR
I like my Kelty Cache Haulers for hauling big loads of meat, and the price of them too

Swede

WKR
I was agreeing with Bulldawg all the way until I read his take on a $100 Cabelas pack. I like Cabelas a lot, but I don't want anymore of their freighter packs. If you are doing much packing get one that has a hard belt that distributes most of the weight to your hips. Those soft belts are not near as good in my opinion. Pods8 recommendation is good too.
I have not tried most packs on the market, but of those I have used, Kuiu is the best. If you watch their outlet sales, you can get a great deal on one.

After much evaluation/testing/fitting/trial/error, I ended up going with the Eberle Mainframe with batwings and the zip-in panel. I have loaded bags like you discuss for the camp in and then compress to just batwings and panel when day-hunting from backpack remote camp. For my particular needs where I rifle hunt as well as archery from backpack camps as well as trailer/ATV base camps it seemed the best compromise for my particular needs. I am sure that there are better options for guys who hunt differently than I do but the narrow frame, light weight, load carrying design, really narrowed it down for me. I hunt many different locations and terrain types and hate switching my gear out between "set-ups" and wanted a system that could easily go from a "camo" day pack when timberline backpack elk archery hunting to a "orange" rifle pack (reversible zip-in orange panel between batwings) a week or two later when chasing antelope/deer in the plains from my trailer/ATV. Batwings stay loaded with my regular day-hunting gear but camping gear can be carried in between when needed. I do not go "way back", only about 3 miles for about 5 days at a time maybe twice a year. I do a lot of camping off the ATV in remote areas for recreation and hunting as well so the Mainframe has an advantage of riding really well on the front rack of the machine and is easily secured.

I have been able to extensively test this system this winter (very mild here in southern Colorado so far) and have done some backpack camps and ATV camps chasing late season plains elk and even helped pack elk quarters out for a friend with this system. For me, it was the right choice. There are much better packs out there for sure, but for hitting all the marks that I needed to hit at a price point that fit my budget, this worked well for me.

There is great value for me in being able to grab a single pack, that stays loaded with my base day-hunt gear and my bino-case (Nosegunner, not an Eberle junkie but again after testing several it just happened to fit my needs the best) and jump in the truck with whatever weapon the tag dictates and go hunt without much thought as to what piece of gear is-in-what-bag-where. A quick bag of jerky and some water on the way out of town with coffee and I know I have a system that fits my basic day needs perfectly and should I be blessed with a critter I have the ability to haul it out on my back with a frame that fits me well and is designed to carry the load.

If you're gonna spend money on a budget pack, I'd highly recommend the USMC ILBE pack, which is essentially an Arcteryx Bora 95 but in camo and much cheaper. If you keep an eye on ebay you can usually get one for 80-120, but be careful as there are a lot of incomplete packs on there with just the bag without the suspension.

ILBE Pack w/ Lid, Belt & Straps. USGI Arc'teryx Bora Marine Corps USA | eBay
ILBE Pack w/ Lid, Belt & Straps. USGI Arc'teryx Bora Marine Corps USA Very Good | eBay

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
You should see the junk we used when I first started bowhunting out west. The first elk I packed out I was using an external frame that looked like angle iron. I lived, the elk died the meat came home.
Look what I am getting at is this ...I am a Gear snob I know. I admit it. I have way money in gear then is needed or probably reasonable. That said it like it and it works well. However when your brand new you don’t have much to go on. I think that experience at this point and making the hunt happen for you is way more important then any pack.
Use what you have a go.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely hearing everyone on boots. I have a pair of Vasque Wasatch GTX that have been amazing for the past several years and the soles finally gave out last season. I sent them off to Dave Page in Seattle for repair and they just came back with some stiff new Vibrams. Really anxious to see how different they feel on the trail this weekend - a $90 resole could be money well spent vs. $250 new pair.

AdamRappe

FNG
If you are wanting to only buy a frame, id suggest looking at the Stone Glacier ones. Ive been running stone glacier for quite some time now and i havent been dissapointed.

I’m going to buck the trend here. Get yourself a backpacking pack, like an Osprey or something similar. Used would be $120 or thereabouts. Cruise the backpacking forums. You’re not going to kill anything anyway so no worries about having to pack meat. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
You could get a molle II frame with shoulder straps and hip belt for even less than the alps commander frame. Attach your jansport pack to it. You could also probably even fashion a load sling to it just to get the meat out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkduds

WKR
First post on this site as I'm beginning to plan for my first elk hunt in September.

I currently have an old Jansport Rockies internal frame pack. It's 6000ci and still in good shape, but I really doubt its weight limit for packing out meat. To save money but still get the job done, I'm considering buying a frame like the Alps Outdoorz Commander or Eberlestock Mainframe that I can either lash a large duffel/dry bag or my pack to (after removing stays and suspension).

Does anyone else run a system like this?

Welcome to the forum. I think you are on the right track w an internal frame pack and a packframe. My frame stays in the truck. My internal frame pack will get an elk quarter out to the truck, then I grab the packframe to haul out the big loads, and my camp if I am spiked out. Or I can carry my spike camp in on my frame, along w my internal frame pack. A basic frame w decent belt/suspension won't cost much.

Owenst7

WKR
I would say good boots are more important than a pack

Completely agree. I made a decision to hunt this past year with my Osprey Aether that I use for backpacking so that I could afford a good sleeping bag and boots. I was the only guy in my group that didn't have to tape his feet, and my pack carried more weight than my knees could handle just fine. I won't be getting a dedicated hunting pack until I find something that is lighter because I'd rather just have one pack that goes everywhere.

I hunt from a wall tent so my pack is for day hunting. My Badlands 2200 always worked great. After a few years of elk hunting i did get bit by the Kifaru bug and have dropped over $800 so far, but I rrally think for the hunting I do I could have just stuck with the Badlands. Aron Snyder from Kifaru said all packs handle 60 lbs and less just fine and its over that that Kifaru and others seperate themselves. Let me tell you, many people do it, but 60 lbs is a lot of weight in a pack. I would recommend a Badlands 2200.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
^^^ That is where some training and a good pack shine, 60lb doesn't actually feel that heavy when you're trained up and its carrying well (mostly on your hips). I get the internet pounds comments but being ready to actually haul 70-80lb total weight (including the pack) when elk hunting isn't superman feats, that's just grabbing a single bone in rear quarter (factoring in pack and minor gear) and folks need to be ready mentally for that task or you're going to have to debone and break an elk into 8 trips or something.

That said as I stated above if budget is a concern just make sure your current suspension doesn't completely collapse with 70lb in it and if it holds then go hunt. You'll appreciate a good pack after doing it the hard way (if you're successful). ;) But you have other gear and skills to gather up most likely, focus on those.