South of Leadvile, CO

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
So... I basically prefer bowhunting. But this year I am considering taking my 73 year old father camping and trail riding instead. I have a CO mule deer point and will likely draw a muzzleloader tag for forty-eight etal. I plan to camp in fifty-six at a well know dispersed horse friendly area... browns creck. I can hunt a bit on my own, but will carry the muzzleloader while trapsing around as well.

My question is whether those of you familiar with the area would consider applying for a second choice cow elk tag or first choice bull tag (decent possibility of drawing either) as well?

Anything else I should consider there? My old man likes to fish and investigate, so I plan to send him up to st elmo a bit as well.

Thanks for any replies or pms.

sveltri

WKR
I live in the area and would definitely get an elk tag, not a ton of elk but you’d be sure to get into them if you don’t have a tag.

OP
brunse

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I heard from the Salida FS office that the high country area south of st Elmo gets a lot of atv traffic. I expect much of the traffic iin September is from bowhunters?? Sounds like there is a bit of fishing up there as well. Does anyone know how passable the road are for a standard 4wd truck? Such as the o pomeroy or grizzly lakes.

sveltri

WKR
We drove to Pomeroy last summer in a stock Chevy Avalanche. I thought for sure we were gonna leave half the undercarriage on the road on the way up. We only hit one rock though and barely hit it. Not sure about Grizzly, you can drive all the way to Hancock except for one area that gets tight that I could get my Tacoma through. I wouldn’t even consider it in my tundra.