colorado muzzleloader vs 1st rifle

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
if you have one preference point which would u go on first. i should also mention this will be a solo first time elk hunt. if muzzleloader is the better choice i was thinking of trying to get an either sex tag, i know first rifle is bull only.

cnelk

WKR
To answer your question in more of a broad context, the ML season is 9 days long, the 1st Rifle season is 5 days.

You should pick the season that best suits your most time off and for hunting

OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
i can take either time off pretty easy. i was just wondering which would be better for a first timer. i like the idea of the muzzleloader but also know i can shoot alot farther with a rifle. either hunt id have to truck camp because of what gear i have

cnelk

WKR
Then you'll need to looks at the tags issued for each Gmu / each season.

Be sure to add in ML deer tags too, but no deer hunting during 1st Rifle

If its an OTC unit for archery you just dont know how many hunters will be there

WKR
They seem to be bugling at the end of muzzleloader pretty well. The aspens are changing. Hit the timber and have fun in Sept is at least what I have enjoyed doing.

OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
Where do u look to find which units have which tags and how many points it takes to draw.

blackdawg

WKR
Things to ponder,, during the muzzleloader season the elk may bugle,may not, weather is generally warmer, Archery hunters for deer and elk can be thick and pressure very high,, first season can be cold or very warm, the elk have 2 weeks of no pressure before the opener, no deer hunters in woods, an extra 300 yds if you need it when the one opportunity presents itself is a good thing. I ponder this choice this season with my points also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
One more thing to consider.... there are a lot of units with leftover cow ml tags. You could get one of those tags for cheaper and keep your points. Thats the way I would go if I was going on my first ever elk hunt. Then you can use your points next year when you have some idea what you are doing. The unit I hunt has leftover cow tags every year. There are plenty of elk there too.

Get a copy of the regulation book. The tags with a star next to them are leftover.

Toprut is a great resource for quickly looking up stats on a unit too.