Colorado elk hunting and gaiters

Poser

WKR
They certainly can be useful, particularly when walking through meadows with morning frost. They can also be very hot on a warm day. I keep them near the entrance of my tarp and will use them as a clean/dry surface to stand on while taking a piss during the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grunt-N-Gobble

Lil-Rokslider
Im an fan of gaiters. Ive got the taller First Lite ones. It more or less depends on where you are hunting and the weather.

Rain pants are lite and usually packable but i wont wear them unless its a complete downpour. Id rather have a rain jacket and gaiters.

dotman

WKR
I always have gaiters on, I like a breathable water resistant gaiter in Sep. The OR endurance has been great for me and protects the bottoms of my pants getting torn up and keeps crap out of my boots.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Like many others have said, you can get away with out them. You can also wear blue jeans and get wet 6 miles in when it's 20 degrees...

If I am in an area that has a good chance of perspiration or just high humidity that gives you wet grass and weeds in the AM, I take them. I have used OR, KUIU, First Lite, Sitka and RAB.
The Sitka worked well but were not as form fitting at the top as I like. ( I have been told this has already been addressed for 2018 line) The KUIU fit well but I always seemed to get wet under them from sweat. The First lite had sizing issues and even ordering a size up were to small. The fit of the OR is a bit loose but they are burly and the loudest I have used.
The best I have used so far is the RAB. They are a high end mountaineering company that builds quality gear and clothes. Their Latok Alpine and Hunza Stretch gaiter both great. I believe Rab is a pro hunting.

I'm looking forward to Sitka's redesigned gaiters that I was told about..

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Have a pair of Sitka Gaitors. During archery season, I took them off after the first day d/t weight and the fatigue difference that could be felt. I have considered the short simple gators for archery simply to keep my high dollar pants from becoming thrashed. I have corrugate guide pants from FL, and after a season with 20+ days, they start to show some signs of wear at the cuff. I am sure this is the case with other quality pants as well. In Sept, I find that my lower legs/cuffs may get moist in the morning from dew, but in the intermountain west, within a couple hours, this dries out and isn't noticeable. I just find that gators arn't worth the weight, unless it is late season and there is chance I will be in the snow. I know they look cool, but..

bozeman

WKR
Took some last year on first elk hunt. Wore blue jeans in 15F weather, never even got the gaiters out of my pack. People have been killing animals without them for years. While a lot of gear is NICE to have, if you are not spending weeks in tough country, much of it isn’t needed; it’s just marketing hype. Had guys in camp in full Kuiu and Sitka gear (I have a few pieces of Kuiu, sold all Sitka) and I had blue jeans and a Cabelas wind proof sweater. Enjoyed my time just as much as they did! Wish you the best on your hunt.

I have a pair of Kuiu Yukon and really like them. They keep my feet dry although they do add some warmth which can be good or bad depending on the temps.

I like that they keep the underbrush from tugging at my boot laces and getting stickers shoved down in them. I use them for more than I thought I would. they're great when cutting firewood too.

xziang

WKR
After seeing my friend use them i got hooked on them. First pair wa a set of rei sale OR gators, now i use kuiu gaiters. I love them, help with water crossings and also seems to help with keeping laces from loosening up. (For me) All the other reasons are good too.

Jardo

WKR
For me, I always have gaiters and some good rain gear. I don't normally backpack hunt. I stay in a base camp or cabin and go out for day hunts. The area I hunt has a lot of aspens and the grass and underbrush can get as tall as my nuts. If there's dew or if it rained or snowed overnight, gaiters won't keep me dry. I will use raingear pants on these mornings... usually Sitka dewpoint or cloudburst. I also bring along Sitka gaiters or kenetrek gaiters if I'm hunting an area where there's been cattle and the grass has been eaten by the cows. Most of my secret spots don't have cattle so gaiters won't keep me dry.

My point being, it depends on how tall the grass and undergrowth is. If it's over your gaiters, you'll need raingear to stay dry. Usually in the aspens, it's too tall for gaiters. And no, DWR won't keep you dry for more than a 1/4 mile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought some on a whim (KUIU) and wore them some days, some days I didn't. They are a nice to have for what we do, certainly not a necessity.

They do keep the dew off and helped keeps some water out of my boots on a creek crossing. Keep your legs warm in the am too.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Gaiters come to the trailhead and then I decide based on weather. Higher altitude in CO in Oct when I'm usually out things are dry so unless there is snow I leave them at in the truck. When in snow they come along as it keeps my pants and boots drier. Less of a concern hunting from a trailhead with a place to dry gear easier at the end of the day vs back country day after day, that is when slow drying layers suck. That's the thing you have to keep in mind when reading things on the forum, are you talking to someone hunting from a heated camper or a wall tent with a hot wood stove going at the end of the day or someone sleeping on a ground cloth under a tarp (and everything between) and factor that into what you yourself will be doing.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
If I'm hunting, I have my gaiters on. Kennetrek for me but, that's because they fit the best. Oh, and they're based right here in Bozeman. All my camo doesn't have to match :)

Never have used rain pants and I generally won't bring my gaiters unless there's snow in the forecast. I have OR and yes they're noisy but so are elk.

Agreed, elk are noisy so you don't have to be silent. That said they certainly perk up when they hear an unnatural noise like clothing.

Never used gaiters but I've said after my last 5 or more backpacking hunts I'd never go on another trip without em. But I haven't bought any yet. One of my september hunts in 2017 here in CO we had rain every single day. We were in and out of rain gear(or makeshift shelter) every single day, 4 or 5 days it was twice or more in a day.