Colorado elk hunting and gaiters

We are headed to northern Colorado in September to chase some elk, hope to just see an elk, and I am wondering if I will need to get some gaiters. I have read alot of reviews on people wearing rain pants while walking through tall grass, while some prefer gaiters. Just thought I would get fellow Roksliders opinions on the debate...Gaiters or no gaiters? And if you are pro gaiters, which do you prefer...OR, Sitka, First Lite, another brand? Thanks for the input!
Richard

muddydogs

WKR
Gaiters are nice to have, they help keep your pants dry when walking through wet grass or deeper snow when rain pants aren't needed. They also help keep your legs warmer when its cold by sealing off the draft at the bottom of the pants and adding an extra layer of insulation. Gaiters are also great when its wet and muddy, its easy to remove muddy gaiters before getting in a truck, tent or camper instead of dealing with muddy pants.
I've been wearing a set of Kenetrek gaiters which work great.

For me that depends on what type of hunting I'm doing. If I'm backpacking, I'll look at the weather forecast and make a decision on whether or not I'm going to take regular gaiters or a low profile gaiter. I always take rain gear. I won't wear them unless there is precipitation on the ground. For truck camping I'll have all options available at camp and wear one or none based off the weather. I've tried Kenetrek and Kuiu. I've found the Kuiu ones to be more durable, but less breathable than the Kenetrek ones.

If you are hunting an area in CO with any undergrowth, I would absolutely recommend gaiters. I usually wear them when I am hiking in before light and in the morning to prevent the tops of my boots and pants from getting dew soaked. I usually take them off after mid day when the dew burns off. I use the Yukon gaiters from kuiu and really like both the length and fit of them.

oldgoat

WKR
Since I started wearing pants with DWR, I haven't bothered with them in September, haven't bothered with the rain pants either, but it does depend on the vegetation, Flat Tops I probably would take one or the other, but like was mentioned I also watch the weather like a hawk.

I always keep then in my pack. Nothing gets your boots wet like walking through wet grass. As others said, they also add a layer of warmth which can be nice for mornings/evenings. I've got the OR gore-tex ones that are basically knee-high and I love em.

gelton

WKR
yeah gaiters for sure, put them on first thing in the morning and they are in the pack by lunch assuming there is no snow. I found they do a good job of protecting the calf area and the bottom of your pants when climbing through deadfall too.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Gaiters are a must if its muddy, it protects your pants from getting wet and gunked up. There were an absolute necessity the week I was hunting in Idaho, I was able to throw them off before I curled up in my bag, it would of otherwise me to force me to remove my pants, which I needed to wear to stay warm or ruin my bag.

Never leaving home with out a pair, I have the Kuiu gaiters, wont break the bank and work well.

You likely won't need them but I seldom do any hunting/hiking without at least bringing gaiters. Just great at keeping feet dry, and also keeping scree and other crap from falling into your boots. I use the classic OR crocodiles, but I'm sure any quality brand would work well.

cnelk

WKR
I have a pair of gaiters, never worn them archery elk hunting.
I do wear rubber boots sometimes tho

OP
thedeerhunter9
I’ve read where people say the OR gaiters are noisy. Any truth to that or does it even matter?

Gaiters also make an excellent pad to sit on when sitting a stand on moist grass/dirt. I always have them in my day-pack for wet times but they honestly get used more for a groundpad when I sit near a wallow/trail than anything else.

3forks

WKR
I’ve read where people say the OR gaiters are noisy. Any truth to that or does it even matter?

Any gaiter that is made of a hard shell nylon fabric will make some noise to an extent.

I like the OR gaiters because in addition to keeping water out of your boots, gaiters will also keep gravel from getting in your boots (especially important if you've got to sidehill or are descending through areas with decomposed granite or skree).

Also, hard shell gaiters will keep beggars lice, cockleburs, and fox tails, out of your pants and socks.

Fleece or DWR coated fabric gaiters pickup too much crap and are a waste in my opinion.

Never have used rain pants and I generally won't bring my gaiters unless there's snow in the forecast. I have OR and yes they're noisy but so are elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I hunted for years without gaiters or rain pants, so do you "need" them? No. But the last two seasons I've been using them, and I really like them. Not only for wet, but they also help to keep the burrs and stuff off my pants and out of my boots. That's a big plus. I use KUIU's gaiters.

OP
thedeerhunter9
Im gonna order some and have them with me just in case I suppose. I would rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them.

I always take them to camp. I leave them at camp most of the time. I have only worn them a couple of times when there was snow.

Wapiti1

WKR
During the archery season, I have never worn gaiters. Where I hunt, the brush is high enough that gaiters won't keep you dry. I'd have to wear rain pants, and then I would get too sweaty. Synthetic DWR treated pants have worked fine for me. They dry fast enough for me to stay comfy.

If there is snow on the other hand, I usually wear gaiters. OR Verglas are my current favorites.

Jeremy

Backyard

WKR
Started wearing kennetreks a few years ago for early archery. I like that they keep my lower pant legs dry in turn my socks stay dry and dont wick down into my boots meaning much dryer feet all day. And as stated earlier it also keeps the burrs and small seeds out of the tops your boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk