Diaphragm vs open reed

TravisIN

WKR
Is there a reason why a lot people carry both. I can cow call with a diaphragm without issues as most people can, so was wondering why some people carry both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Make different sounds, volume and I can chew snuff and use open reed, I can chew and use diaphragm too but prefer not too, the diagram ends up full of snuff sometimes.

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
I think bugling with a diaphragm sounds more realistic I can pick out a hunter blowing a reed call in in seconds but they work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swede

WKR
I probably will come off as a little jaded, likely because I am. Anyway my take on this is, if you are trying to impress elk calling elitists, the diaphragm is the only way to go. In addition the diaphragm is somewhat more versatile. If you are just using your bugle to call elk, both are up to the job and the reed is easier to learn. They are also less prone to making poor sounds if not used just right.
The whole thing reminds me of fishermen. Some say "fly rods are the only sporting way to go. That is what the true sportsmen go with." Others go with a casting or spin outfit and get as many fish.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Along with the above, you can be way quieter with a diaphragm when you want to especially in close encounters. Open reed will have way more volume for broadcasting. Probably the biggest reason for both is the diaphragm can be hands free for archers-that is a total game changer.

Swede

WKR
What Lang writes about addresses the versatility of a diaphragm. If you are one that gags with a diaphragm or are lousy with one, don't worry about it. There are good cow calls, and open reed bugles that you can tone down and they don't sound like plastic. Certainly it is as easy to put an open reed bugle to your mouth as a grunt tube.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me simple variety to add to the repertoire I use reeds 99% of the time due to versatility hands free realism and as noted the soft subtle sounds..you can make with them .

cnelk

WKR
I carry both. I can make the open reed sound much louder than a diaphragm plate.
I’ve used the open reed Cow call for a locator with great success
Especially with the old Sceery Hyper Hot

Swede

WKR
I use both the diaphragm and external reed calls. I always liked Sceery calls. I even have an old very small bugle they produced. I sure have never noticed I have to loud with an external reed call. It seems mine can be as soft as any.

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
I use a open reed when I can as I’m not a skilled caller so it sounds better. But I use diaphrams when I get in real close as its hands-free.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For bugling, especially in close, there is no substitute to the diaphragm. For long distance locating you can get away with some really bad sounding calling, but in close......those mature bulls won't let you get away with that.