2018 OTC archery area help

Okay my fellow outdoorsman. I am planning a DIY archery elk hunt this year and am having trouble settling on a few units. Ive done my due diligence and researched each area and checked passed harvest reports, also did the math for approx. how many hunters per square mile also spoke with CPW hunt planner and few district area managers. The GMU's I am looking into are 42,421 and also 231,26,25,and 34. Me and my hunting partner really want to find a place were we can get 3 to 5 miles from the truck and set up and camp then hunt from there as long as we are under 10 miles from our vehicle. I know every OTC unit will have pressure but we are planning on staying in country for 10 days so hopefully that will eliminate a few hunters. Dates are going to be 12 through the 23 of sept. I don't have any crazy expectations of harvesting a huge bull or any elk for that matter since its our first go at elk. Id be completely happy chasing elk in gorgeous country and if we get one its a bonus but I'm sure this first hunt will mostly be a learning experience. I don't want any hot spots I'm okay putting down the rubber to find them myself. Just some general suggestions and things to look out for like domestic sheep grazing or cattle grazing, areas that have high amounts of ATV traffic stuff that you can't find out online. I completely understand if this post goes nowhere and if it does I'm sure ill still have a blast and learn a lot just wanted some veterans advice that may have hunted the areas in question. Thanks guys.

cnelk

WKR
I recently read that the furthest a person can go in Colorado without hitting another road is 12 miles.

Something to think about

For a first time elk hunter it may be hard to imagine just how difficult it can be to pack out a bull elk. It can also be pretty dang hot in September. Those are a couple things you definitely need to consider. I wouldn’t want to put a bull down 10 miles from the truck, much less if the weather is on the warm side. Heck a 5 mike pack out is rough and with two guys you’ll need more than one day to do it.

Good luck and have fun!

Trial153

WKR
For what’s its worth I wouldn’t invest much time in a spot till you are into elk. I seen it a bunch and have been guilty of it as well. We pick spot invest half a day hiking in and setting up camp, then waste a day or two till the realization sets in that you in empty country. What I am getting is focus on staying mobile and flexible and then when you find them commit to the area.

OP
E
Good advice i have considered this and it would have to be a game time decision wether or not to take an animal that far from a vehicle. if weather permitted it or if there was a cold water source to submerge the meat in bags in to keep it cold would all come in to play at that distance. Also plan to have packer i can call incase i do need one.

OP
E
I agree Trail 153. I didn't plan on staying in one spot until i found elk. Plan was to pick a few areas from google earth that look like they may hold elk far enough away from the road and then get up high and glass if possible if not try to locate them by calling or finding fresh scat or wallows rubs excetra. I also am planning a few late summer scouting trips that i hope will help.

OP
E
Ive heard the free ranging sheep or cattle can be problems because they drive the elk out. Do GMU 231,25,26 have heavy amounts of free range sheep or cattle. Ive read around sheriff lake they can be and issue.

I don't have any experience with the units you are talking about. With that said, I'd be hesitant hiking 3 - 5 miles into a place that I'm not almost sure holds elk. That is a lot of work and takes time. If I were first trying to figure out an area, I'd take day trips to multiple places I scouted via google earth and find where the elk are. Then, from there pack in if needed. To kill an elk, you have to find them first. Good luck, it is a whole lot of fun!

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
This a repeat pretty much to other peoples post. I don't have any experience in Colorado or elk hunting much in general. This year was my first year elk hunting and it was successful. The things that helped me which may sound silly was google maps, Randy Newberg videos, onyx maps, and good optics. I put more time into glassing than walking and it paid off.

OP
E
Yeah i didn't plan on just randomly roaming around the mountains. I wanna find a few places that look promising and hopefully find a good glassing point and if i see them make a plan of attack. If i don't see them go to my other plans. Thanks for the advice tho back country hunter

cnelk

WKR
I don't have any crazy expectations of harvesting a huge bull or any elk for that matter since its our first go at elk. Id be completely happy chasing elk in gorgeous country and if we get one its a bonus but I'm sure this first hunt will mostly be a learning experience.

Your honesty is appreciated, but man, your gotta set your expectations higher.

Every day out in the elk woods you need to think that THIS is the day.

It can go from nothing to success in a matter of seconds

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
We saw elk the first outing out but I ended up shooting a cow on the 6th day this last year. I said I would shoot the first legal elk that walked in front of me and I stuck to my word. I cant complain for my first ever elk hunt. We did see bulls and almost got one but couldn't seal the deal.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I recently read that the furthest a person can go in Colorado without hitting another road is 12 miles.

Something to think about
Unless they get lost and walk in circles lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
The sheep are horrible in that area, cattle aren't a big deal, I shot a cow elk within a couple hundred yards of cattle before. Stay away from the sheep though, far away! You will play hell getting the distance in you mentioned in that country without finding yourself on or across the next road or two.