2018 OTC archery area help

oldgoat

WKR
nSbEoBp.jpg

I would also mention that you need to keep real expectations about not seeing other hunters when hunting archery otc in CO. 3-5 miles in might sound like a lot to you, but I guarantee you will still see other hunters at that distance. Lots of elk in CO in pockets much closer to roads too. As others have suggested, mobile is the best way to go, if you don't see any elk or sign in a drainage, check the next and then the next and so on. I have never hunted the specific units you are looking at, but good luck!

OP
E
I would also mention that you need to keep real expectations about not seeing other hunters when hunting archery otc in CO. 3-5 miles in might sound like a lot to you, but I guarantee you will still see other hunters at that distance. Lots of elk in CO in pockets much closer to roads too. As others have suggested, mobile is the best way to go, if you don't see any elk or sign in a drainage, check the next and then the next and so on. I have never hunted the specific units you are looking at, but good luck!

I am not expecting to be all by myself the whole 10 days. But my perspective of other hunters in the woods is probably a little different. Here in Pa on the first day of rifle or archery there are people littered everywhere on public land. But here there is not as much land and its all easy accessible. I expect to see other hunters especially on the weekends.

OP
E

We deff plan on staying mobile for sure. I believe that will be the biggest factor in having success. I plan on having plans A through E or maybe more. Im gonna do some summer camping trips with the girlfriend that will double as scouting trips to the areas I decide on hunting and get a general first hand idea of the actual areas.

Give the forest service a call as well for the area, they have always been helpful. Might help you narrow down your target areas to scout even more. They always know where the sheep are and will tell you.

OP
E
Give the forest service a call as well for the area, they have always been helpful. Might help you narrow down your target areas to scout even more. They always know where the sheep are and will tell you.

Thanks. has anyone that's a non resident used the CPW hunt plan hot line? and is it worth a call to them to help you plan your hunt?

Thomas11

WKR
Think u have a good plan other than the distance u r trying to cover. I assume u r experienced with backpacking/camping aspect of it. That can be more difficult than u think when u factor in the altitude, toting your camp in, finding water etc. 5 miles is a piece in the backcountry. 10 miles packing a bull out on your back is almost for 99% of hunters just not doable. U Better be a beast if u plan on packing one that far in the mountains! Packing one 3 miles outta the high country with elevation is gonna test everything u got honestly. Just sayin. Those 5 mile plus packouts are for horses or men tougher than me! Lol! Everything back there is amplified in difficulty it seems to me. Me and another guy packed one out last yr 3 miles and it took 2 days to get the elk and camp out. It was tough!

OP
E
Think u have a good plan other than the distance u r trying to cover. I assume u r experienced with backpacking/camping aspect of it. That can be more difficult than u think when u factor in the altitude, toting your camp in, finding water etc. 5 miles is a piece in the backcountry. 10 miles packing a bull out on your back is almost for 99% of hunters just not doable. U Better be a beast if u plan on packing one that far in the mountains! Packing one 3 miles outta the high country with elevation is gonna test everything u got honestly. Just sayin. Those 5 mile plus packouts are for horses or men tougher than me! Lol! Everything back there is amplified in difficulty it seems to me. Me and another guy packed one out last yr 3 miles and it took 2 days to get the elk and camp out. It was tough!

Thanks for the piece of advice. I do a fair bit of back packing and hiking. Been training for this hunt since December. I do about 26 miles a week with weights varying from 50 to 125 pounds in my pack. i can't really simulate altitude here in pa but i figure if i can go 6 miles in 4 hours with 125 on some of the Appalachians here i hope it will help me out there. I also mix in a good bit of body weight training and HIT intervals when lift wights. i don't want my fitness to hold me back out there. Me and hunting partner are also both ex army rangers so our ability to suffer through is higher then most. lol. I don't see us packing out 10 miles but if it is a 300 plus bull it might just be worth the suck fest depending on wether and temps.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Don't do what I have done, which is spending time in too many spots. Pick one or two and become intimate with it. Learn it. There are elk where seemingly it appears there are none. I am always convinced there is a better spot just over the next ridge, or range. I feel like I blew my first year hunting elk in MT this way.

The altitude is going to be your worst enemy. I’d highly suggest that you take the first few days fairly easy and do a ton of glassing. Drink more water than you’ll want to, it’ll help. Ex army ranger or not, altitude sickness is no joke, and not worth ruining a hunt over. You’ve already said that you’re training hard and can’t duplicate the elevation here in Colorado, with your PA elevation. However, you’re menta capacity is better than most and you’ll more than likely try and keep going. If you’re interested in Colorado, send me a PM, I’ll take you out to some wonderful places. I can’t garauntee you an elk, but I can gaurantee you a good time. It’s the least I can do for a veteran.

Thomas11

WKR
Thanks for the piece of advice. I do a fair bit of back packing and hiking. Been training for this hunt since December. I do about 26 miles a week with weights varying from 50 to 125 pounds in my pack. i can't really simulate altitude here in pa but i figure if i can go 6 miles in 4 hours with 125 on some of the Appalachians here i hope it will help me out there. I also mix in a good bit of body weight training and HIT intervals when lift wights. i don't want my fitness to hold me back out there. Me and hunting partner are also both ex army rangers so our ability to suffer through is higher then most. lol. I don't see us packing out 10 miles but if it is a 300 plus bull it might just be worth the suck fest depending on wether and temps.
I’d say pick a couple wilderness areas in OTC units that have good elk populations and go for it then! Sounds like u are about as prepared as u can get without just doing it. Also there are units that can be drawn w 0 points as well that could be an option. I’m not as a big of fan of the NW units but I’m not saying they are bad. But they seem heavily hunted in comparison to other units . But they do have the highest elk populations

OP
E
Don't do what I have done, which is spending time in too many spots. Pick one or two and become intimate with it. Learn it. There are elk where seemingly it appears there are none. I am always convinced there is a better spot just over the next ridge, or range. I feel like I blew my first year hunting elk in MT this way.

I am trying to avoid this from happening as well as it happens to me when I'm fishing lol.

OP
E
Don't forget artillery lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The altitude is going to be your worst enemy. I’d highly suggest that you take the first few days fairly easy and do a ton of glassing. Drink more water than you’ll want to, it’ll help. Ex army ranger or not, altitude sickness is no joke, and not worth ruining a hunt over. You’ve already said that you’re training hard and can’t duplicate the elevation here in Colorado, with your PA elevation. However, you’re menta capacity is better than most and you’ll more than likely try and keep going. If you’re interested in Colorado, send me a PM, I’ll take you out to some wonderful places. I can’t garauntee you an elk, but I can gaurantee you a good time. It’s the least I can do for a veteran.

I agree. That was my plan to glass a few areas for at least the first day in the field and maybe the next morning as well. Altitude is a bit of concern esp the first few days. Don't want it ruining my hunt here so it is a concern. But like you said just gonna take a day or so easy and not sprint. It's a 10 day hunt so. Thank you for the offer I'll send you a PM.