Elk outfitters?

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good afternoon Elk Hunters. Well I was anticipating applying for the New Mexico elk tag this year but a couple of the guys that I hunt with are not going to be able to apply with me so we decided to wait until 2019 which is ok with me. We have hunted NM before, archery that is but this time we are looking for a firearm season. I myself want to branch out and see what is out there. Mainly something that is more guaranteed as far as acquiring a tag. Now we do plan to use an outfitter like we did in NM and he does have private land tags that are guaranteed but one of the guys said he doesn’t want to spend that much on a hunt. I know, by now you are probably thinking I should ditch that guy and just apply anyways but we have been hunting together for a long time and he is in 60s and more than likely this will be his last trip for big game so I would like to be a part of that. So I am asking all of you that have hunted elk in other states and have used outfitters who would you recommend and why? Thanks for your info

Avalanche Outfitters in Redstone, CO, OTC tags, the camps are in good condition and they do everything they can to take care of you. Not guaranteed kill but if you don't harvest you will still love the guides and accomdations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price range? Desired time of year? Trophy goals? Level of fitness? Kind of hard to recommend without it.

I work with some of the best outfitters in New Mexico. Give me a call and we can discuss you trophy expectations and the details. Look forward to vising with you.
Be blessed!
Mark Harrington
325-276-1414
fulltimehunts.com
[email protected]

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of good info and questions. Time of year would be any rifle or muzzy season. I don't have a big trophy expectation however a chance to harvest a first time big bull would be great but not the main goal of my trip. I will not hunt somewhere with trophy fees and please all free range. As far as fitness I am from north Alabama so the oxygen here is thick and I am working on the fitness aspect but I am not iron man contestant nor will I ever be. ha. For rifle I am comfortable with shots maybe up to 400 yards. not a lot of areas here to practice that distance often enough to be comfortable with it. I don't want to apply with an outfitter that treats you like cattle and just tries to get us in and out quickly. now I am not saying I need a lot of attention cause I don't, hahaha but after the hunt I would like to say I can refer those outfitters to others regardless if we harvest or not. For me its about the experience. The harvest is the icing on the cake.

A lot of good info and questions. Time of year would be any rifle or muzzy season. I don't have a big trophy expectation however a chance to harvest a first time big bull would be great but not the main goal of my trip. I will not hunt somewhere with trophy fees and please all free range. As far as fitness I am from north Alabama so the oxygen here is thick and I am working on the fitness aspect but I am not iron man contestant nor will I ever be. ha. For rifle I am comfortable with shots maybe up to 400 yards. not a lot of areas here to practice that distance often enough to be comfortable with it. I don't want to apply with an outfitter that treats you like cattle and just tries to get us in and out quickly. now I am not saying I need a lot of attention cause I don't, hahaha but after the hunt I would like to say I can refer those outfitters to others regardless if we harvest or not. For me its about the experience. The harvest is the icing on the cake.

Send me a PM and I will get you in contact. What you are looking for is right up their ally

Loco4dux

WKR
Send me a PM and I will get you in contact. What you are looking for is right up their ally

I'm going to send you a PM as well if you don't mind. My current parameters are similar to those listed by the OP and would be interested in speaking with your contact.

Wapiti1

WKR
KB Outdoors in Colorado is good. I am booked with them this fall. They have several options. Aaron Neilson has been a good agent to work with for both Colorado and New Mexico. I've done several hunts through him and he hasn't steered me wrong. He steered me to Compass West in NM and they treated me well.

Jeremy