Clothing for Turkey hunt AND Elk hunt in Colorado

overland

FNG
Sitka Ascent for Turkey hunt AND Elk hunt in Colorado?

Howdy -

First post to the forum!

I am a new hunter and am gearing up for my first turkey hunt this spring. I live in Colorado and also hunt elk (fist time was last year) in the fall.

I am looking to buy some gear for my spring turkey hunt (camo outer layers) and have been interested in the Ascent line by Sitka. BUT I am looking to kill two birds with one stone and have my turkey gear be suitable for fall elk (and turkey) hunting. Do folks here think that the Ascent pants will be able to hold up to the weather in the Colorado Rockies come October? Any other suggestions? I don't really have the funds to have a spring turkey set up and a fall elk/turkey set up. I have great base layer clothes for my fall hunts... just need a hunting outer layer/shell.

On my first elk hunt last November I used my backpacking gear which was great but my hunting buddy pointed out that come harvesting an animal you don't want to use the same clothes that you backpack with.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Howdy -

First post to the forum!

I am a new hunter and am gearing up for my first turkey hunt this spring. I live in Colorado and also hunt elk (fist time was last year) in the fall.

I am looking to buy some gear for my spring turkey hunt (camo outer layers) and have been interested in the Ascent line by Sitka. BUT I am looking to kill two birds with one stone and have my turkey gear be suitable for fall elk (and turkey) hunting. Do folks here think that the Ascent pants will be able to hold up to the weather in the Colorado Rockies come October? Any other suggestions? I don't really have the funds to have a spring turkey set up and a fall elk/turkey set up. I have great base layer clothes for my fall hunts... just need a hunting outer layer/shell.

On my first elk hunt last November I used my backpacking gear which was great but my hunting buddy pointed out that come harvesting an animal you don't want to use the same clothes that you backpack with.

Any advice is appreciated.

Why wouldn't you use the same clothes you're backpack hunting in to kill an animal?

NoWiser

WKR
I'd use the same stuff you backpack in as long as they are earth tones. No reason not to.

If you are looking at Sitka, I think the Mountain Pants would serve you well.

OP
O

overland

FNG
I guess I should have said that I want to have my hunting gear separate from my (recreational) backpacking/camping gear. I'm not sure how a much the sent of blood stays on clothing but when I go backpacking near bears with my girlfriend I would rather not take the risk of my gear luring in a bear to camp.

My backpacking pants are black - fine for Elk hunting but not so sure about turkey (again, I'm new at this though).

Last edited:

sveltri

WKR
Will you be turkey hunting from a blind or on the ground? If in a blind I would just pick-up a black sweat suit and headwear. If from the ground, its easy to keep turkey blood off you, grab a leafy suit from asat or FL and wear your backpacking clothes in the spring. If going the Sitka route I really liked the mountain pant when I wore them.

OP
O

overland

FNG
I'll be hunting from the ground. I'm not worried about turkey blood... just elk.

I should poise my question a little more directly... will the Sitka Ascent pants hold up in the Colorado Rockies in November for elk hunting? If not, what pants would that would also be good for spring turkey hunting?

Thanks again.

Kuiu attack pants and guide jacket, with layering underneath you could hunt about any season and condition. Verde would probably be the better color pattern for both spring and fall.

I'll be hunting from the ground. I'm not worried about turkey blood... just elk.

I should poise my question a little more directly... will the Sitka Ascent pants hold up in the Colorado Rockies in November for elk hunting? If not, what pants would that would also be good for spring turkey hunting?

Thanks again.

Never hunted turkeys, but in general no for the elk. You'd want the Sitka Timberlines or warmer. The ascent pants are designed to dump heat. Not exactly what you're looking for a November elk hunt.

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome! I use the Ascent clothing for spring turkey and archery elk. You will need a good
facemask (or paint) and some gloves, especially for turkey. Don’t forget to take precautions for tics. Permethrin has never failed me.

Davebuech

WKR
Yes, welcome to the forum Overland.

IMO, it somewhat depends on the elevations you'll be hunting. I hunt turkey at 9-10K in the spring and archery elk at 10-12K in Sept. If I had to choose only one pair, I would go with the Mountain pants for both. I have had the Ascent, Mountain and the Timberline as well as the Kuiu Attacks. The Timberlines are probably my favorite but will be warm for early Elk or spring Turkey. I wear my Mountain pants for both spring Turkey and archery season, although Elk/Deer hunting I will occasionally wear my solid color Prana stretch Zions if it's really warm. Turkey hunting I prefer full camo.
I am really liking the Sitka Lightweight core hoody for the early seasons too. The heavyweight is great during late season or winter predator hunts. The built in facemark and hoody is always there and handy.

Well there ya have it, my opinion.Worth what you paid for it.

Good luck and happy hunting