WY results tomorrow!!!

Trial153

WKR
But wasn't thrilled about the price hikes this year. And I sure wasn't happy about having to Put in for the special draw. However I will be happy when I draw my tag. Long term pretty much I'm gonna be out of Wyoming With the cost of preference points.

mlob1one

WKR
I'm excited. Doubt I'll be pulling elk in WY, but I'm hoping for antelope.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

LWC

FNG
I'm excited! Trying to burn a few points. Can't wait to find out and start planning more.

Put in the usual 2% chance hail mary shot for a non-resident on the random draw, if I get ill be stoked beyond belief

If not, I have strong considerations next year to burn it all on a general tag but we'll see

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
It's the first lower 48 draw result!

Kinda like being a kid on Christmas morning except for the gloom after reading "unsuccessful" ...

Been waiting on tomorrow since January. It dose have that “kid on Christmas morning feeling”. Hope to be able to plan a hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davsco

WKR
I've got several irons in the fire, so while it would be nice, I'm concerned about having multiple tags, from multiple states, at one time....

i'm still real new at this, but is colo the only state where you can get your $$$ (license and tag) refunded (well, all but a small fee) if you do draw and if you ask before the season starts? with super crappy nonresident draw odds, it would be nice to apply in multiple states to increase one's overall odds a little but not if you can't get that refunded for whatever reason. i do realize it is a PITA for a state to have to refund and reissue but it'd be a nice concession for their customers.

Expecting a general tag success email tomorrow. Now I just have to figure out where the heck I want to hunt. Been getting paralysis by analysis!

Utah Transplant (after ~20 years in Colorado)
davsco:

In Wyoming, you have to put up all of the funds for the license up front, and then they send a refund if you don't draw.

In Utah, you can apply for every species, as long as you pay a $65 non-resident license fee, and then $10 per species, which essentially is the cost of a point if you don't draw, but you don't have to put up the entire cost of the license up front, for each species.

In Colorado (where I'm based), I believe they've changed the approach this year, which makes it similar to Utah, without the $65 license fee... you do have to pay for a habitat stamp still, but you no longer have to put up all of the funds for each species being applied for, and only pay the cost of the license if you draw.

It has been a few years since I have applied in New Mexico and Arizona, and I've never applied in Idaho.

Good Luck... I hope that helps! Another RS member may want to add additional clarity to any of the points above, but they are generally accurate.

DEHusker

WKR
i'm still real new at this, but is colo the only state where you can get your $$$ (license and tag) refunded (well, all but a small fee) if you do draw and if you ask before the season starts? with super crappy nonresident draw odds, it would be nice to apply in multiple states to increase one's overall odds a little but not if you can't get that refunded for whatever reason. i do realize it is a PITA for a state to have to refund and reissue but it'd be a nice concession for their customers.

A couple of years ago, CO implemented a new tag turn in policy. You used to be able to turn your tag in right up to the day before the season started but you only got your money or points back, not both (and you didn't get an extra point as if you did not draw so you essentially lost a season of point collection). Now you can still do that but you have to turn in your tag before 30 days before the season starts. The idea, I think, was to be able to get those tags back into the leftover pool to sell again (to make more money and get more people tags). AZ has a great policy to turn in tags in that you can buy "point guard" and turn in your tag before the season and get your points back PLUS an extra point as if you were unsuccessful in the draw. Awesome. You can only do that once per draw cycle meaning once you turn in your tag once, you can't do it again until you draw and use a tag for that species. WY has no tag turn in policy whatsoever...use it or lose it (unless due to an injury that prevents you from using the tag). If you can't hunt, you lose all your points AND money AND years of applying. WY really needs to get a policy in place to be able to turn in your tag. It would be easy to do something similar to CO and AZ but they are "too good" for that. I am unfamiliar with other states' tag turn in policy.

The very scenario of drawing 2 highly coveted tags happened to me last year...both drawn with the "random" lottery process. I drew both an AZ and WY limited entry early archery bull tag. I could not hunt both tags due to various legitimate reasons. Years of applying to all the Western states and of course I draw 2 of them in 1 year....ugh. Well I sure as heck wasn't going to turn in my AZ tag as it was for a truly awesome unit and I would unlikely draw that unit again for decades, if ever. Well, I shot a stud 6x7. However, because WY has ABSOLUTELY NO TAG TURN IN POLICY I lost my WY hunt and all my thousands of dollars and years of applying. I am still pretty miffed about that. WY is shooting themselves in the foot as I am not applying there anymore as it's too expensive to start all over and build points and lost time. I think they are trying to thin the applicant pool with their new pricing policy while at the same time get more money for their tags...diabolical if you ask me. After all, it was getting ridiculous having to use 2 points on just a general tag. Who knows what will happen with the new policy but we'll find out tomorrow! LOL. My advice is to have a plan in place if you are applying for multiple states same species...apply for different season or something. IDK. Bottom line is that applying for these primo tags is getting more and more insane and expensive. With the amount of money and time spect getting these limited entry tags, it is almost a crime that the states all don't have a program similar to CO or AZ for tag turn in.

F250

FNG
It's my first time applying in Wyoming. I went for a cow tag in a zone where there have been left overs in past years. If I draw the cow tag, I'll try to add a doe antelope tag.

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
First time applying for any western hunt for me. Must admit this is making focusing at work tough. c'mon 12 eastern time.