Non domed mouth calls

Btaylor

WKR
I took a quick look at Phelps and bugling bull today and didn't see any mouth calls without the dome. Tried a domed turkey call a couple years ago and that thing was the suck. Any ideas on where to find good elk calls without the dome would be much appreciated.

big44a4

WKR
I agree and like a palate plate design better. The amp calls from Phelps are a pretty good mix (I have 2) but like the palate plate design from Rocky Mountain/bugling bull game calls (google either and takes you same place).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Try I help Grey or Black amp frame. Coming from Non-Domed reeds I can see the Phelps are much better than most. That for me anyways. If you really dont want domed reeds. Glen Berrys Reeds are very good non-domed too. I don't care for his domed Reeds though.

ElkNut1

WKR
Make sure to use the right sized reed regardless of dome or non-dome, they come in 1/2" & 5/8" widths. For average to narrow pallet use 1/2" -- For large pallets use 5/8" If unsure then get 1/2" wide reeds. Just about anyone can use them but few can use 5/8" -- If newer to mouth reed use give yourself 4-5 weeks to learn them, it doesn't happen over night!

ElkNut/Paul

I love Phelps reeds. Then again I love Carlton's reeds too. Wish I could pry a couple HS reeds away from my good friend in CO Springs though lol

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Look at glacier country hunting calls. Troy the owner makes the best hunting calls I’ve used especially for bugling. I believe they are all 5/8” frame but if you can fit the larger frame in your mouth you’ll get better sounds. His secret weapon call is my favorite. I personally overblow the Phelps and bugling bull.

I agree and like a palate plate design better. The amp calls from Phelps are a pretty good mix (I have 2) but like the palate plate design from Rocky Mountain/bugling bull game calls (google either and takes you same place).

^^^Rocky Mountain is the way to go.

jmez

WKR
I'll second the Glacier Country calls. I really like them. Good calls and a great guy to call and talk to if you have any questions. He's also a very accomplished caller and will help you with your calling.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I love Phelps reeds. Then again I love Carlton's reeds too. Wish I could pry a couple HS reeds away from my good friend in CO Springs though lol

No problem. Which ones do you want?;) Ya, I know.......but you know what......I tested that one against my regular Carlton's in an actual encounter and I don't think the bulls noticed that much of a difference. And to top it off.......the latex doesn't last as long in that reed.

I've never cared much for the domed or palate plate calls, except maybe some of the Primos mini's for cow calls. For bugling I need the flat reeds. Phelps makes some of the flat ones, along with Wapiti River Outfitters, and Glacier Country calls, but I still prefer my Carlton's reeds.

No problem. Which ones do you want?;) Ya, I know.......but you know what......I tested that one against my regular Carlton's in an actual encounter and I don't think the bulls noticed that much of a difference. And to top it off.......the latex doesn't last as long in that reed.

I've never cared much for the domed or palate plate calls, except maybe some of the Primos mini's for cow calls. For bugling I need the flat reeds. Phelps makes some of the flat ones, along with Wapiti River Outfitters, and Glacier Country calls, but I still prefer my Carlton's reeds.

My fav Carlton's is the brown triple! I have a hard time with the yellow double and 2.5 for some reason

big44a4

WKR

I’ve yet to try a flat reed but I’m curious. What makes them better for bugging in your opinion? Double or single latex?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’ve yet to try a flat reed but I’m curious. What makes them better for bugging in your opinion? Double or single latex?

I use triples and 2.5. The one trophy is talking about is a 3.5. For me, the flat just work better......so I assume they fit better. I throw one in and can immediately make the whole spectrum of sounds up and down the scale without even thinking about it. The domed and palate plate won't make any sounds if I try that. I really have to concentrate and work them to get the sounds to come out. Other folks are just the opposite.

ElkNut1

WKR
Lots of very good calls out there these days! Btaylor, you need to consider using a single reed as a starting mouth reed user. Anything tighter or thicker requires tongue pressure such as doubles & triples, these will frustrate you. The tongue is a muscle, it needs to be strengthened for multiple layers of latex. It's like starting to workout & try to curl 75# with one hand, way too much weight, a guy would need to start with 35# & work up as he strengthens. Avoid the frustration!

Don't think there's a magic reed out there for you, it doesn't work that way, once you get good with reeds you will find you can call with any make or model but you will favor a few more than others so are likely to settle on those. Every company that makes reeds have one thing in mind for elk hunters & that's to imitate elk sounds, this can be achieved by all of them. You can only do so much with metal frames & latex, most the hype is advertising. There isn't any real world difference in reeds these days from one company to another, they're all very similar. Start with a 1/2" reed my friend, you'll be glad you did!

ElkNut/Paul

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I would honestly buy a few calls from every manufacturer you’ll find some calls you’ll hate some that are ok and some that fit you perfect. It’s kinda like boots everyone is different. Personally I’ve never been able to blow the narrower frame even starting out, but others sound really good on them. Also when you’re practicing or hunting remember calls wear out surprising quickly it’s not any big deal to blow through a call a day if you’re bugling a lot especially if it’s hot out. Heat is your enemy with calls have ruined more than I want to count by leaving them in the truck on a hot day. I store mine in the fridge all year really helps them last. Try a bunch a you’ll find some you like for me personally it’s wide frame doubles.

I don't know that "better" is a good description. It's more of a "which Reed works for you" kinda deal. I've tried them all and chosen what works for me. That being said, I can make most reeds work for me. It's all about technique and practice. With the Phelps and Carlton's triples, I can hit notes that many don't. And it makes a difference in heavily pressured units imo.

big44a4

WKR
I don't know that "better" is a good description. It's more of a "which Reed works for you" kinda deal. I've tried them all and chosen what works for me. That being said, I can make most reeds work for me. It's all about technique and practice. With the Phelps and Carlton's triples, I can hit notes that many don't. And it makes a difference in heavily pressured units imo.

I agree. I’ve just haven’t tried a flat reed yet. Only have dome, palate plate, and amp reeds at the moment. Looks like I’ll have to get a flat one to try here soon.

OP
B

Btaylor

WKR
Thanks guys for the heads up on some different calls. Can't believe I forgot to even check Carlton. will check out glacier too.

Elknut I am new to bugling but not new to mouth calls. Been blowing turkey calls since the mid 80's so I understand all of your points. Nearly identical advice would be appropriate for beginning turkey callers except for the single reed, need to start with a double for sure with turkeys.

kad11

WKR
Lots of very good calls out there these days! Btaylor, you need to consider using a single reed as a starting mouth reed user. Anything tighter or thicker requires tongue pressure such as doubles & triples, these will frustrate you. The tongue is a muscle, it needs to be strengthened for multiple layers of latex. It's like starting to workout & try to curl 75# with one hand, way too much weight, a guy would need to start with 35# & work up as he strengthens. Avoid the frustration!

Don't think there's a magic reed out there for you, it doesn't work that way, once you get good with reeds you will find you can call with any make or model but you will favor a few more than others so are likely to settle on those. Every company that makes reeds have one thing in mind for elk hunters & that's to imitate elk sounds, this can be achieved by all of them. You can only do so much with metal frames & latex, most the hype is advertising. There isn't any real world difference in reeds these days from one company to another, they're all very similar. Start with a 1/2" reed my friend, you'll be glad you did!

ElkNut/Paul

Does this same reasoning hold true for bugle tubes? Or do some aid in hitting higher notes vs just amplifying the sound?