Colorado unit 61

Hey guys and gals, looking to possibly draw 61 this year for elk. Those that have hunted it the last few years what are your thoughts? Hunt quality, bull quality, elk numbers. Appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always heard the hunt quality is awesome but the trophy quality isn’t that great. I hunted recently with a friend and I can’t really speak to the trophy potential of the unit but the quality of the hunt was really a night and day difference compared to a OTC unit. We were right into the middle of bugling bulls a short walk from the truck. That is something I’ve never experienced on public land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took my first every elk from 61 when I was 12. It was a cow first rifle hunt. What type of tag are you looking at? Bull or cow? Rifle, muzzle loader, or rifle?

Like BCH2 I hunted 61 for a cow when I was twelve. I’ve had three total cow tags there, and hunted with my father during his archery tag a while back. Lots of elk and lots of bulls. Very little pressure compared to most tags you’ll find.

For an idea of the number of elk in recent years, have you watched Randy Newberg’s 61 hunt from 2016? He hunted public and saw many many bulls.

2016 Colorado Rifle Elk Hunt with Randy Newberg (S5 E6) - YouTube

61 can provide a great hunt if you’re willing to work for it, but the trophy quality I think is a bit worse than most people would expect. There’s some incredible bulls there but I wouldn’t expect to shoot a 360 incher. Some do, though. Having grown up there but now living in Arizona, I saw bigger bulls on my tag this year that is guaranteed for nonresidents with 7 points than I’ve seen my whole life in 61.

cnelk

WKR
There's a reason it take as many PPs as it does.

If you dont apply for it, there will be someone who gladly takes your place

Phaseolus

WKR
It can be a great unit. I’ve two friends who drew first and second seasons the last two years consectutively, I came to camp with them when Tim had his first season tag. Neither ended up tagging a bull, both years were hot and dry, sit season with a full moon too. I shot my 7x6 bull (about 300”) on opening morning but got real close to two that were bigger but that darn oakbrush got in the way. If you’ve got the points go for it. I also hunted cow elk three times in the unit, it’s just next door to me.

I don't know much about it, but will be there this year archery tag in hand. I'll be sure to post pic of the bull and bear I kill.

Haven't hunted it, but I can tell you "the Unc" is an awesome forest! Did some hiking and camping last summer while working in Grand Junction and saw some very nice bulls in velvet.

The unc is crawling with bears and coyotes. A little predator control would be much appreciated!

Funny you say that. One of the guys who did my ceiling grid, had a bear tear his camp up while he was out hunting. He says he did not have food in his tent either. The bear musta liked the smell of his stinky sleeping bag lol

cnelk

WKR
Hell, you can drive down the road and see bears in 61

dhGqmdz.jpg

Zp5aLIK.jpg

Hell, you can drive down the road and see bears in 61

We've had days where we saw 4 or 5 from the road in one day. During the summer we'll see multiple bears almost every day. Definitely something for people to be aware of that plan on hunting there.

Phaseolus

WKR
Yep, I see bears almost everytime I leave the Divide Road and at the right time of day on the road too like the above pictures.

Good bulls there for sure! I know people who have killed 340" bulls there over the last few years. One guy killed a 340" in 2016 during last week of Archery. Last Fall, another guy I know killed a 340 with a muzzleloader. I haven't heard of any 380 + coming out of there, but really solid 320 - 330 should be very feasible if you put in some time. Good luck this Fall!

golfbum

WKR
Fun hunt. A lot of elk but killing a legit 320+ bull with a bow is a tall order. Lots of 260-280 type bulls.

Pm me if you draw and I will share everything I can remember from when I archery hunted it in 2009.