Wyoming general Elk area 86

TravKatQ

WKR
I drew a wyo general elk tag on my first try so now the scramble to research an area begins. Has anyone had any experience in area 86? Might try and squeeze a quick scouting trip this summer to get the lay of the land (I’m from CA so might not be manageable) but seems intriguing with not many roads in the area and not close to big towns...also the success rate is pretty good for a general area. Any help would be appreciated thanks. Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harge57

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted there last year for 2 weeks and ended up shooting an elk in a different unit. The north half of the unit had a lot of hunters camped off the main road. The South and west portions had road hunting pressure, but I ran into way more hunters on horseback after hiking in 4 to 5 miles. Seems like there is a lot of mule deer hunting pressure too.

Also, some of the remote roads were treacherous treks only to find a bunch of wall tents and outfitters at the trailhead.

Last edited:
OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
I hunted there last year for 2 weeks and ended up shooting an elk in a different unit. The north half of the unit had a lot of hunters camped off the main road. The South and west portions had road hunting pressure, but I ran into way more hunters on horseback after hiking in 4 to 5 miles. Seems like there is a lot of mule deer hunting pressure too.

Also, some of the remote roads were treacherous treks only to find a bunch of wall tents and outfitters at the trailhead.

Thanks for the insight. I was hoping to be getting away from the crowds in some of those remote basins...that’s a bummer to hear. We’re you seeing elk at least?

Harge57 - Did you run into this issue during Archery Season or Gun? Congrats on getting an elk last year.

TravKatQ - I was looking at the same thing, 86 and 87 offer a lot of space to hunt. I drew my first general tag for WY and just looking for a place to hunt broadside elk with a bow.

bvan

FNG
I drew a wyo general elk tag on my first try so now the scramble to research an area begins. Has anyone had any experience in area 86? Might try and squeeze a quick scouting trip this summer to get the lay of the land (I’m from CA so might not be manageable) but seems intriguing with not many roads in the area and not close to big towns...also the success rate is pretty good for a general area. Any help would be appreciated thanks. Travis

TravkatQ
Did you hunt wyoming unit 86 in 2018? Just curious I was looking at hunting there this Archery season

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
TravkatQ
Did you hunt wyoming unit 86 in 2018? Just curious I was looking at hunting there this Archery season

No I ended up hunting 67/68. Has a good hunt and ended up killing bull. If you need any advice in those areas I can drop you some pins.

No I ended up hunting 67/68. Has a good hunt and ended up killing bull. If you need any advice in those areas I can drop you some pins.

shh!!! There are no elk in 67/68. None :)

I live in 68 (67 is across the hwy from us) and hunt both units all the time. I scout them all year when I'm hiking. I know the terrain in a handful of spots really well. It's not super heavily hunted, especially during archery. It is absolutely beautiful. It's not know for monsters, but they can be found.