Jackson Hole Shed Hunting

Curious if any fellow roksliders have taken part in the May 1st shed hunt in Jackson Hole? Have always tossed the idea around of heading out for the opener. Sounds like a pretty hectic morning but would be fun to grab some bone.

wytx

WKR
Good luck and show up early to get in line.
Some big ones get found every year but the circus is something I'll pass on .
Watch out for bears. Those Jackson grizz have different hibernation patterns. Still out and about in Dec. so I wonder if they're active in May.
Perhaps some locals will chime in on that.

OP
huntaholic123
The Boy Scouts collect the sheds on the refuge. They open up the national forest just past the refuge on May 1st. From what I have read online and in a couple magazines the forest opens up at midnight on May 1st. Sounds like a circus but a lot of sheds to be found. It used to open up at around 8 am but just within the last year or two changed to midnight.

wytx

WKR
You're right, the boy scouts pick up the NER sheds but the forest holds some good ones.
Personally I would not walk in at night to look for sheds, but I'm a scaredy cat of grizz.
You might call,the Jackson office and ask them about the elk on the refuge this year. They stopped feeding early this year so they may disperse away from the neighboring forest before they drop.
Look at the NER webcam also, you can get an idea of what's on the refuge and when they start dropping.
Good luck, hope you find some nice ones if you make it over!

wytx

WKR
When both myself and spouse had bison tags and hunting in Dec on the NER we were told to have bear spray and be bear aware, they do not hibernate the same times as other grizz. Grizz on the NER will be active into Dec, while the elk hunt is ongoing. Plenty of bears in the area.
I would call and talk with the Jackson office of G&F and ask about bear activity in May.
It may be a non issue but I would find out. Grizz coming out of hibernation would not be a happy bear to encounter.

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
Have been three times...it is quite the experience. Make sure you get in line early, have a really good flashlight, and go for the experience of watching a bunch of crazy people running around in the dark looking for an elk antler, not for any illusion of a quiet peaceful night/day in the woods. You see a lot of people with stacks of antlers on their backs and you see just as many with nothing, so it's not a gaurantee. I've always managed to find a few. There's eneough people running around making noise that I've never been terribly worried about bears, but go prepared just the same.

Whip

WKR
From what I've heard many locals have lots of sheds found and marked on GPS prior to the opener. They may or may not have been moved to less visible spots or stached in a brush pile. I've never been there, but my guess is those are the guys with stacks of sheds on their pack by an up of the opener.

OP
huntaholic123
I didn't think anyone was allowed in prior to May 1st? I understand some people don't follow the law but pretty risky getting caught all for some sheds.

Boy Scouts get the sheds on the refuge and you have to wait for the opener to go get sheds. I have never done it but I have seen pictures of the lines. To me that isn’t very fun. I like shed hunting and the solitude away from others not having to fight over a shed. My buddy witnessed two guys beat the snot out each other of a shed.

Anyone headed to Jackson Hole next week to shed hunt. I knows its a crazy experience...but I'm meeting a friend...and mostly looking to catch up and spend quality time. Anyone have recommendations on places to park before lining up?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I didn't think anyone was allowed in prior to May 1st? I understand some people don't follow the law but pretty risky getting caught all for some sheds.
It's national forest. You can go whenever you want, you just can't pick up sheds on public land. Doesn't stop guys from making stash piles and coming back and getting them on the 1st though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
There are winter closures setup around the elk refuge and other areas that you are off limits to enter from December 15- April 30.

I have been to the Jackson race probably 13 out of the last 15 years. I always tell myself that I will never go back but by April 30 I am in the truck haha. Since they switched it to midnight it is all about being early and getting lucky. I have got skunked and I have found 13 in one night before and a little of everything in between. If you are going and hoping to find a pile of whopper bull sheds you are probably going to be pretty disappointed, but if you are going for the experience and the chance of finding something cool then go for it. It is a mad house with people running everywhere. Anyways good luck if you decide to go, I'm still on the fence about this year. These pics are from 2017, which was my best year, packs like this keep pulling me to go back. 20170501_021328.jpg20170501_024523.jpg

Ratbeetle

WKR
More power to you guys, but that doesn't sound like an event I want to be within 100 miles of.

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
OP, did you make it out to Jackson for the opener?

Couple of my pics from last night and today...5952E5F0-0715-4249-907A-02D0B6A86804.jpeg45CCF49F-8DE2-4D07-8BE2-5D8FB20D937F.jpeg
494CBA7A-984C-425C-ACB5-025A3F03BA1D.jpeg2B712875-02C5-4CAC-BD3C-2B27D592D294.jpeg