Wy gen archery opening day

curlyintn

FNG
Heading out on our first archery hunt. Trying to decide on opening day or waiting couple weeks. Any opinions?

cnelk

WKR
Depends.
Some need bugling bulls in their elk hunt, others like the surprise of bulls coming in silent during pre-rut.
Some areas are better early, some better late

Choose wisely :)

squirrel

WKR
My plan is to set up camp on 8-31 and tear down on 10-1, its a good plan, I like it. Then if needed come back from 10-15 till 11-1 with a rifle... that's a good plan too. I like it.

It does boil down to what you want out of your hunt. To me screaming bulls is IT. Others want to sit there watching ants wrestle over a sandwich crumb waiting on an elk to wallow beneath them. If I wanna hunt whitetails I will go hunt whitetails... and i don't.

How many days do you have?

OP
C

curlyintn

FNG
I've got three weeks vacation, was thinking about coming back out later in season. We've got three tags, wife, brother and mine.

Heading out on our first archery hunt. Trying to decide on opening day or waiting couple weeks. Any opinions?

If it is your first hunt and you don't have time to scout wallows, game trails, etc., in the area you will be hunting, I think it would be better for you to wait until the elk start to become more vocal in mid September.

JWP58

WKR
Ive seen bulls going nuts on sept 3rd, in a wy gen area. Ive also seen them not get fired up until the second week. Ya id be out the opening weekend.

4rcgoat

WKR
Last year in 37 the bulls were fired up by the 2nd weekend in, by the third weekend it went almost silent. ....never can tell. Good luck.

wytx

WKR
Sept 1 is on a Saturday this year and beginning of Labor Day holiday. You'll have lots of company with campers and atv riders.
I would wait til week after myself but if it's a remote area you may not have as much pressure.
Don't be surprised by the number of folks just riding around on atvs and those road hunting.
Kind of depends where you're hunting.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have near as much experience as most of the folks here. Although I've only killed 3 archery bulls in 4 tries, ALL of them have been BEFORE September 12th. In fact, just looking at my records, the other two have been on September 7th. All three were bugling hard in mild to hot weather. I like hunting early and don't mind the hot weather because most people won't hunt in those conditions. The lack of pressure offsets the mid-day lull in my opinion.

cnelk

WKR
We made the mistake of going too late in WY GEN area last year.
The elk were on fire earlier, and by the time the last week came around they were fairly quiet and all cow'd up, and nothing on cameras

Good luck in your decision

Attachments

• IMG-0051.jpg
    IMG-0051.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-0052.jpg
    IMG-0052.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 34

mntnguide

WKR
Any issues with opening deer season on the 15th of September
Depends on where you are hunting, cause depending on area.. yes, the deer opener can severely effect how the elk act and talk around here.. not to mention much higher numbers of people

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk